Silly Season For 2017

"The 27-year-old Cassill earned seven top-20 finishes in his first season with Front Row. One of the series' steadiest and most reliable competitors,..."

Yeah, I guess finishing outside the top 30 every week could be described as 'reliable'.

Outran BK, Go FAS, TBR, an RPM & HSM car. Good for him.

The #34 is Bob Jenkins' favorite number. I'll leave it at that.

CSX and Love's wanting to keep things intact is my bet. I think Cassill is better than Ragan in a mid-pack to 30th place car anyway.

Supposedly Falk/Circle Sport is teaming up with TMG, under the TMG banner. Don't know if it would be a 1 team effort or if the 30 is getting a charter.

Last edited:
would adding 4 extra cars for a full field from like talladega nights or days of thunder help like NASCAR did in 1992?

Yet a 75% reduction in lifestyle nonetheless......with 75% less amenities.....for a guy who has had a respectable career......I think the romantic in many on this board would like to think he would drive for the love of driving, but in reality, if his financial portfolio is in order...doubtful.

Harry Gant raced a year in the trucks after he stepped away from Cup. Sterling Marlin is racing at his local dirt track these days. Ricky Rudd races go karts. Ken Schrader races anything he can. Guys like Morgan Shepherd and Joe Nemechek and Derrike Cope might be Xfinity backmarkers these days, but once upon a time they were successful Cup drivers.

Yet a 75% reduction in lifestyle nonetheless......with 75% less amenities.....for a guy who has had a respectable career......I think the romantic in many on this board would like to think he would drive for the love of driving, but in reality, if his financial portfolio is in order...doubtful.
At this point, I doubt the size of his contract is the driving force, I believe him when he says he wants better equipment. He may not get that but he may drive for a team that is making more effort.
Furniture row was a joke until Kurt got in the car and then Truex took the seat. Look what they are doing now. If the Biff could really help a team in that way then I think it would be a good closing act to his career.
His life style doesn't have to change, do you know what the interest income on 60 million is?

Correction to my earlier post, Sterling races late models on pavement at the Nashville Fairgrounds and Five Flags.

1BUrUU6.jpg

59 years old, dealing with Parkinsonism, and still a racer.

Everybody knows only Kyle Busch drives for the love of driving.

While many do just love to race, according to the various psychiatrists frequenting the board, Kyle Busch runs the lower touring series events only to stoke his ego.

We should always defer to the pros.

While many do just love to race, according to the various psychiatrists frequenting the board, Kyle Busch runs the lower touring series events only to stoke his ego.

We should always defer to the pros.

Don't forget padding the stats.

Everybody knows only Kyle Busch drives for the love of driving.

Yeah, context is irrelevant around here.....but let's try some anyway....

The intent of my comments about Biff have always been in regard to whether or not I think he will drive. I do not because of the huge step in stature from the Cup garage to the lower series.

I have no problem with Biff or any Cup guy driving the lower series, but I do think it is crucial that NASCAR define these series. If they are developmental, let the young guys run, and the Cup guys stay out. If it is come one, come all, then let anybody drive as much as they want.

I believe that Biff is a Cup driver regardless of employment status for Sundays, just like Kyle or anybody else who has had a full career in Cup. Therefore they should be viewed the same IMO in regard to their participation. I don't what they do on Sunday, or what their level of commitment is to a given series.

In reference to older guys running the lower series at the end of their careers and that parallel to stick and ball.....I can't think of one Major Leaguer who chose the Minor Leagues unless he needed the money. This argument doesn't work with the Biff if I am to believe that he is as rich as many on this board would suggest.

I'm sure Biffle has other options as well away from the track. Could see him driving in the truck series and maybe be in the broadcast booth for Xfinity races or something.

This argument doesn't work with the Biff if I am to believe that he is as rich as many on this board would suggest.
Career earnings across the three major series' were a little over $88M through 2015. He'll be fine no matter what he decides to do next year. His lifestyle is safe.

The intent of my comments about Biff have always been in regard to whether or not I think he will drive. I do not because of the huge step in stature from the Cup garage to the lower series.

Again, you do realize that several successful Cup drivers continue to race after their time in Cup has ended, right?

Ken Schrader has raced 22 times in the freakin ARCA series over the last four years. This is a guy who had a LONG Cup career, won some races, and had nine points finishes in the Top 10.

The Truck series is already defined by the trucks themselves. It's also an introduction type series with 16 year olds racing at times. The Xfinity Series is being promoted as "where names are made" and the way names are made in that series is a young driver beating Kyle Busch or say Greg Biffle if he was to take a Xfinity ride. These Series can be development series and still have experienced Cup drivers in them. Biffle is a racer and racers race. If he gets a good offer to run in a lower series I hope he takes it

I'm a Kyle Busch fan and I like watching him in the lower series as he usually wins but I do enjoy the races that he's not in as I get that watch the series regulars battle it out. I like that they have limited the Cup drivers in those series as it will hopefully get more cars/trucks into victory lane and make the chase in those series better. That's assuming Larson and the Dillion boys don't become the new Kyle Buschs of the series while they don't have restrictions on them.

Again, you do realize that several successful Cup drivers continue to race after their time in Cup has ended, right?

Ken Schrader has raced 22 times in the freakin ARCA series over the last four years. This is a guy who had a LONG Cup career, won some races, and had nine points finishes in the Top 10.

....and once again, I am all good with anyone driving anywhere at any time. You do realize that I am just giving you my opinion about what I think Biff will do, right?

They don't have to define anything. The lower series' are for guys that aren't competing for points in Cup, for one reason or another. Simple as that.

Well, they do because obviously you have a very specific feeling about it that the sanctioning body doesn't endorse. So, perhaps they should make it as simple as you wish....or not.

Well, they do because obviously you have a very specific feeling about it that the sanctioning body doesn't endorse. So, perhaps they should make it as simple as you wish....or not.

They made a rule to force drivers to declare which series they would run for points before the season starts. That wasn't enough, so now they are setting a limit for Cup drivers competing in the lower series. Seems pretty clear to me what they want.

Xfinity and Trucks, for the most part, are for drivers that aren't competing for championships in the Cup series. If you can't understand that, I'm not sure what else to say. It is what it is.

Seems pretty clear to me what they want.

Then, pull the trigger, and make it so....until such time clarity lacks.

Xfinity and Trucks, for the most part, are for drivers that aren't competing for championships in the Cup series.

Yeah, then why sweat the small part? If a Cup guy wants to bring some money to the series, who the hell cares? Dunno man, not sure what there is here for me to understand, but you seem to get it, so I'm good.

Yeah, context is irrelevant around here.....but let's try some anyway....

I have no problem with Biff or any Cup guy driving the lower series, but I do think it is crucial that NASCAR define these series. If they are developmental, let the young guys run, and the Cup guys stay out. If it is come one, come all, then let anybody drive as much as they want.

I believe that Biff is a Cup driver regardless of employment status for Sundays, just like Kyle or anybody else who has had a full career in Cup. Therefore they should be viewed the same IMO in regard to their participation. I don't what they do on Sunday, or what their level of commitment is to a given series.

In reference to older guys running the lower series at the end of their careers and that parallel to stick and ball.....I can't think of one Major Leaguer who chose the Minor Leagues unless he needed the money. This argument doesn't work with the Biff if I am to believe that he is as rich as many on this board would suggest.
Racers like to race. It isn't about stature or status . It's what they do. If they aren't racing ,they are helping someone else race. I've see pro baseball players coaching little league There is no loss of status amongst other players. It's just who they are. This elitism is just crap that is in the minds of some fans.

I'm not even sure what I'm reading here anymore. Are people wasting time trying to analyze if Biffle will be able to afford a motorcoach still just because he might not be wearing a Cup uniform next year?

Do you guys understand that even Clint Bowyer driving for HScott this year still had a salary in the millions? Biff will survive no matter what happens, but if I were you guys I'd be more concerned about the potential outcome of his divorce (is it finalized yet?) having a bigger effect than whether or not he has another Cup contract laid out.

But who cares? It's his life, he seems like a great guy, and whether he's in Cup, Trucks, or just driving sandrails in the dunes come February I wish him luck. But I would like to see more former Cup drivers in Trucks the way it was years ago in the Benson/Musgrave/Todd Bodine/etc era.

Racers like to race. It isn't about stature or status .

Kyle Busch in Xfinity or Trucks whenever he wants then....and it's not because of ego or padding stats. I agree.

There is no loss of status amongst other players. It's just who they are. This elitism is just crap that is in the minds of some fans.

Respectfully, I do not agree in any way shape, or form....How many times do you see players in other sports hold out? They have more money than they can spend. They hold out because they are comparing their income to players of the same position. Why do they do that? Status. Period. Let me stress because my words have been repeatedly taken out of context for the benefit of The Muppet Show.... I have no problem with Biff in whatever he chooses to drive--just like I have no problem with any driver driving anything he wants whenever he wants--including and especially Kyle Busch. I just don't think he will.

I'm not even sure what I'm reading here anymore.

You are reading an obsessive attempt to twist my position. Here it is....Any driver should be able to drive whatever he wants when he wants. My opinion has been that Biff won't because it is such a drop in status. I feel that Biff is a Cup driver regardless of whether or not he has a ride. As such, if he should be in Xfintiy or Trucks, so should anybody including Kyle Busch. Many around here feel that it is just fine if Biff runs the lower series as long as those are the only series he runs. I say he is a Cup driver, so who the hell cares what he does on Sunday--just like who the hell cares what Kyle Busch does on Sunday?

The spin off arguments are attempts to suggest that Biff doesn't need money anymore, that he is a racer and just wants to race, that the lower series aren't developmental series--but only past Cuppers should be allowed in, that when the Trucks was a retirement series it was better, that NASCAR should decide what it wants those series to be, that NASCAR shouldn't decide what those series need to be, that NASCAR has already decided what those series need to be. That's about it I think, but for God's sake, this isn't about Kyle Busch hatred. Hell no.

You are reading an obsessive attempt to twist my position. Here it is....Any driver should be able to drive whatever he wants when he wants. My opinion has been that Biff won't because it is such a drop in status. I feel that Biff is a Cup driver regardless of whether or not he has a ride. As such, if he should be in Xfintiy or Trucks, so should anybody including Kyle Busch. Many around here feel that it is just fine if Biff runs the lower series as long as those are the only series he runs. I say he is a Cup driver, so who the hell cares what he does on Sunday--just like who the hell cares what Kyle Busch does on Sunday?

The spin off arguments are attempts to suggest that Biff doesn't need money anymore, that he is a racer and just wants to race, that the lower series aren't developmental series--but only past Cuppers should be allowed in, that when the Trucks was a retirement series it was better, that NASCAR should decide what it wants those series to be, that NASCAR shouldn't decide what those series need to be, that NASCAR has already decided what those series need to be. That's about it I think, but for God's sake, this isn't about Kyle Busch hatred. Hell no.

I wasn't alluding to Kyle Busch whatsoever.

But if Greg Biffle does not have a Cup contract and then signs an Xfinity or Truck contract, then he is no longer a Cup driver, he's a former Cup driver. So I don't know where you get off announcing that "either way he is a Cup driver". Do you think Elliott Sadler is a Cup driver too? Because he ain't. Same thing would apply here.

I wasn't alluding to Kyle Busch whatsoever.

But if Greg Biffle does not have a Cup contract and then signs an Xfinity or Truck contract, then he is no longer a Cup driver, he's a former Cup driver. So I don't know where you get off announcing that "either way he is a Cup driver". Do you think Elliott Sadler is a Cup driver too? Because he ain't. Same thing would apply here.

I wasn't alluding to Kyle either, you asked what the discussion was about.

Yeah, Elliott is a Cup driver in my mind as well. Biff is a Cup driver--whether or not he signs a contract to race Cup is irrelevant to me. Kyle Busch has a Cup contract. What difference does it make on Saturday? None....unless a certain driver is not loved.

I wasn't alluding to Kyle either, you asked what the discussion was about.

Yeah, Elliott is a Cup driver in my mind as well. Biff is a Cup driver--whether or not he signs a contract to race Cup is irrelevant to me. Kyle Busch has a Cup contract. What difference does it make on Saturday? None....unless a certain driver is not loved.

You seem unable to see nuance here.

Older drivers dropping down to run in Xfinity/Trucks in the twilight of their careers has been common throughout the history of either series. What KyBu and company are doing literally became a thing only a decade ago. Bushwhacking was always common but having the VAST majority of races be won by Cuppers is a relatively recent thing.

What year did you start watching NASCAR?

I haven't watched a Xfinity race in years,judging by attendence I'm not the only one.My biggest problem are Sprint Cup teams,not just Gibbs,running lower series teams out of their garage with Sprint Cup personal and drivers.That would be like New England Patriots taking on local college team.We had a couple local teams in Xfinity with drivers compete for awhile,they gave up.

Older drivers dropping down to run in Xfinity/Trucks in the twilight of their careers has been common throughout the history of either series. What KyBu and company are doing literally became a thing only a decade ago. Bushwhacking was always common but having the VAST majority of races be won by Cuppers is a relatively recent thing.

Kudos to NASCAR for limiting the Cupwhacking in Xfinity and Trucks next year, they see how unpopular it is and how terrible it makes a lot of the races, so they're trying to do something about it at least.

However, I have a feeling we're gonna see a new driver named Kale Burch entered into a lot of Xfinity and Truck races next year.

You seem to be confused by the difference between fact and opinion. Yours is an opinion as is mine. Validity is perceived through context. The context here is that Kyle Busch is damaging the series, thus your position is perceived as fact. Keep an open mind.......

Kudos to NASCAR for limiting the Cupwhacking in Xfinity and Trucks next year, they see how unpopular it is and how terrible it makes a lot of the races, so they're trying to do something about it at least.

However, I have a feeling we're gonna see a new driver named Kale Burch entered into a lot of Xfinity and Truck races next year.

Yeah, kudos.....NOS isn't happy, and JGR is working really hard to fill the gap left by the Anti-Kyle Rule. Hmmmmm, sponsors unhappy.....good for the series? No biggie....money all over the place. SMDH.

Yeah, kudos.....NOS isn't happy, and JGR is working really hard to fill the gap left by the Anti-Kyle Rule. Hmmmmm, sponsors unhappy.....good for the series? No biggie....money all over the place. SMDH.
You do know NOS is made by Monster, right? You know, the company that's so unhappy with NASCAR that they're gonna sponsor its top series for the next several years?

Back
Top Bottom