Sirius/XM NASCAR Radio

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Do you like some of it....all of it....or none of it. Which personalities do you like? Which do you dislike? Has the channel changed over the last 5 years or so in terms of attitude/content? Just want your thoughts.....

I don't like the opinionated stuff. I only listen for the live broadcasts. The shows are idiotic, and don't paint the sport in a good picture in my opinion.

Yeah, I was wondering how many people thought that way. At least half of the shows absolutely rail anybody with a different opinion from the hosts. The live broadcasts are a game saver for me particularly during the summer months when I might be traveling with family, etc. I won't dump the the subscription, but there are certain shows which are testing my patience. Brad Gille, Buddy Baker, and Claire B. Lang are absolutely awesome. I like Pat Patterson on the weekends too.

I don't like the Morning Drive, not big on the hosts.I like Sirius XM Speedway and the Late Shift the most, Buddy Baker is one of my favorites. I do wish they did more classic race broadcasts, i have always liked them.

The Late Shift is a good listen. So is Claire B. Lang.

Jim Noble, Dave Moody, Mike Bagley, Pete Pistone...Jesus H. Christ. I was done with them after a week.

I'm a huge fan of the channel in general. I stated out listening to the NASCAR channel back in its infancy on XM when the only live shows were Chris Farley and Claire B Lang's. Chris used to do a mid day show and Claire the afternoon show. The rest of the time was filled with repeats of their shows or old race broadcasts. On the weekend, they'd broadcast the races live.

Today they are live all day and into the evening 24/7. Like or dislike the hosts, at least we've got someone to listen to and bitch about.

I bought xm radio and had it on every day for about three years . It was the only channel that I ever used . The cable from the cigarette lighter broke and I stopped using it . I enjoyed all of the personalities . Was always interested in what they had to say . Loved to here from people like Kellie Earnhardt and some of the new up and coming drivers (before they learn to be politically correct ) . Sure , all of the broadcasters come with a built in set of views , but you can listen around that . Most of them have no time for the ' haters ' though , who call in just to vent their hate on somebody or other . That stuff gets old faster than anything else does .

I bought xm radio and had it on every day for about three years . It was the only channel that I ever used . The cable from the cigarette lighter broke and I stopped using it . I enjoyed all of the personalities . Was always interested in what they had to say . Loved to here from people like Kellie Earnhardt and some of the new up and coming drivers (before they learn to be politically correct ) . Sure , all of the broadcasters come with a built in set of views , but you can listen around that . Most of them have no time for the ' haters ' though , who call in just to vent their hate on somebody or other . That stuff gets old faster than anything else does .
Wait, so you're saying that it's actually okay for us not to agree with these people? We don't have to like them all? :D

Wait, so you're saying that it's actually okay for us not to agree with these people? We don't have to like them all? :D

Yep . You have to bear in mind that they are racefans like us (sometimes with differing points of view) but racefans . I'd rather listen to racefans talking Nascar than the idiots who just want to run it down all the time.

Yep . You have to bear in mind that they are racefans like us (sometimes with differing points of view) but racefans . I'd rather listen to racefans talking Nascar than the idiots who just want to run it down all the time.
Some will argue that because many of hosts are MRN employees that makes them shills for NASCAR.

Some will argue that because many of hosts are MRN employees that makes them shills for NASCAR.

And that's true , to a certain extent , of every owner , driver and crewman in the sport too. Still , it beats whatever is in second place . No employer wants to hear his employees running him down , that's a givin.

Opinionated stuff? Isn't that what talk radio shows are all about? That's why I listen. That's why I come on this board.

I am not up early enough for the morning drive, but what I have heard I thought was okay. Chocolate Myers and his "let me tell you sumthing from my Earnhardt days" shtick is old and washed up. God Moody's show is the worst of them all. If you don't agree with him, he will knock you right off his show. Angie Skinner, yeah I'd rather be water boarded then have to listen to that voice. What killed me on Moody was the girl he had on before Angie, I forget her name. The day she cried on air because Kyle Busch smashed the Sam Bass trophy just had me cringing to a different station. While I find Claire's live stuff awesome, I think her show is a little on the corny side.

I am not up early enough for the morning drive, but what I have heard I thought was okay. Chocolate Myers and his "let me tell you sumthing from my Earnhardt days" shtick is old and washed up. God Moody's show is the worst of them all. If you don't agree with him, he will knock you right off his show. Angie Skinner, yeah I'd rather be water boarded then have to listen to that voice. What killed me on Moody was the girl he had on before Angie, I forget her name. The day she cried on air because Kyle Busch smashed the Sam Bass trophy just had me cringing to a different station. While I find Claire's live stuff awesome, I think her show is a little on the corny side.
Suzy Armstrong was her name. I heard that as well but I think it was nothing more than her feeling bad for Sam Bass and all of the work that he puts into items like that only to have it destroyed in front of him. She is a pretty good friend of his. I don't mind being on what is probably the minority view on here in saying that I completely agree with her. I thought that was completely disrespectful and juvenile on his part.

I like the channel as a whole, the only thing that really sucks are the drive time shows. The morning guys are a little too goofy, and I'm not at all a fan of Dave Moody on the afternoon show. It rubs me the wrong way that he does his damnedest to humiliate any caller who dares disagree with him. Angie Skinner adds absolutely nothing to that show, other than laughing at all of Moody's jokes and agreeing with everything he says for four hours. I think all the other programming is pretty good though.

Geech , what's so hard about listening to people who have opinions . The alternative is listening to people who have none. Choc has a history , it 's his life , it comes out , Suzy too , Angie , they all have history or they wouldn't be much good on radio . It's really cool to listen to folks who know more about what goes on in Nascar than we do . Heck , around the home here , I have to listen to folks who know less about Nascar than I do .

Hugely valuable channel in the offseason given that there is nothing else NASCAR related. The opinionated stuff is what those shows are about, but I HATE the demeaning of callers with a dissenting opinion. I was trying to figure out the other day why I like Colin Cowherd, but cannot stand the caustic schtick of some of the NASCAR shows, and it hit me. Cowherd goes it alone. You and him. Bring it. The shows on NASCAR Radio whose foundation is belittling callers have two hosts who cover each other's asses. HATE that ass kissing stuff. The other piece I cannot stand is when certain personalities enter into dissertations about the finer elements of their broadcasting talents. Barf. The arrogance is overwhelming at times. Honestly, half of that crew isn't that good, but they don't know it. I'm no broadcasting expert, but I kind of think the producers of the channel suck. A couple of personalities come off like they have never been criticized, and they never will.

On the plus side, I do like Noble and Choc, Gille and Buddy, and Claire B. is just a downright joy to listen to. I would love to see the channel weed out the stupid stuff, and get more centered on these guys. Pat Patterson is really fun to listen to as well.

Hugely valuable channel in the offseason given that there is nothing else NASCAR related. The opinionated stuff is what those shows are about, but I HATE the demeaning of callers with a dissenting opinion. I was trying to figure out the other day why I like Colin Cowherd, but cannot stand the caustic schtick of some of the NASCAR shows, and it hit me. Cowherd goes it alone. You and him. Bring it. The shows on NASCAR Radio whose foundation is belittling callers have two hosts who cover each other's asses. HATE that ass kissing stuff. The other piece I cannot stand is when certain personalities enter into dissertations about the finer elements of their broadcasting talents. Barf. The arrogance is overwhelming at times. Honestly, half of that crew isn't that good, but they don't know it. I'm no broadcasting expert, but I kind of think the producers of the channel suck. A couple of personalities come off like they have never been criticized, and they never will.

On the plus side, I do like Noble and Choc, Gille and Buddy, and Claire B. is just a downright joy to listen to. I would love to see the channel weed out the stupid stuff, and get more centered on these guys. Pat Patterson is really fun to listen to as well.
Actually those people have little input, the producer dictates the content and style.

I agree with you on the Cowherd stuff. However, I have found over the years that sports radio is just horrible to listen to. A lot of it has turned into tabloid sports radio, much like ESPN Sportscenter. I mostly use TV and Radio for the live broadcasts now, and just on forums and reddit for my discussion talk.

It's the only channel I listen to when I'm in the car alone. Mostly to hear what's going on, and keep my finger on the pulse of things. I like the midday and late night guys a ton. And I like Bagley. I don't care much for Pistone the NASCAR personality...I tend to disagree with him a lot...and I hate how much he whines about the fans on twitter....but I do like Pistone the human being. Great guy, easy to work with.

Claire B is a national treasure. Exceptional in every single way.

Moody is a difficult one. He's obviously a smart guy, and can be pretty funny too (and he's terrific on a race broadcast). When you agree with him, he's GREAT to have in your corner. But as others have said, he can carry a really big stick, and whack people with it for no really good reason. He's very stubborn, and very opinionated. And here's the thing...he's been wrong many times. Not "I disagree with him" wrong. Wrong as in "I, Allenbaba, work with many teams, talk intimately with many drivers, know what goes on behind many closed doors, and know things journalists can't know" kind of wrong. So that can sometimes be a tough pill for me to swallow. There have been many times I've wanted to call in and just say "you're wrong, here's what's going on, and here's why that happened" and then he'd pull his patented "have you spoken to him? Were you there?" And then I could say "yes, I did. Yes, I was. Here's who I am and here's the real information so you get it right next time you imbecile." Admittedly, I usually fantasize about that conversation as I'm driving...but obviously I usually can't do that.

Of course, a lot of people get it wrong from time to time...sometimes they're fed false info on purpose. But no one seems so sure of themselves quite like Moody.

It's the only channel I listen to when I'm in the car alone. Mostly to hear what's going on, and keep my finger on the pulse of things. I like the midday and late night guys a ton. And I like Bagley. I don't care much for Pistone the NASCAR personality...I tend to disagree with him a lot...and I hate how much he whines about the fans on twitter....but I do like Pistone the human being. Great guy, easy to work with.

Claire B is a national treasure. Exceptional in every single way.

Moody is a difficult one. He's obviously a smart guy, and can be pretty funny too (and he's terrific on a race broadcast). When you agree with him, he's GREAT to have in your corner. But as others have said, he can carry a really big stick, and whack people with it for no really good reason. He's very stubborn, and very opinionated. And here's the thing...he's been wrong many times. Not "I disagree with him" wrong. Wrong as in "I, Allenbaba, work with many teams, talk intimately with many drivers, know what goes on behind many closed doors, and know things journalists can't know" kind of wrong. So that can sometimes be a tough pill for me to swallow. There have been many times I've wanted to call in and just say "you're wrong, here's what's going on, and here's why that happened" and then he'd pull his patented "have you spoken to him? Were you there?" And then I could say "yes, I did. Yes, I was. Here's who I am and here's the real information so you get it right next time you imbecile." Admittedly, I usually fantasize about that conversation as I'm driving...but obviously I usually can't do that.

Of course, a lot of people get it wrong from time to time...sometimes they're fed false info on purpose. But no one seems so sure of themselves quite like Moody.

I appreciate your post. Thank you. When Moody rails a caller because of that caller's perception of who a driver is, I just want to scream. Fans can only comment on perception--that is what the drivers give us, and that's all we deserve. If the perceptions are incorrect, shame on the PR people. I would like to start a collection to fund your fantasy call. Would be entertaining and liberating for sure. :punkrocke

I appreciate your post. Thank you. When Moody rails a caller because of that caller's perception of who a driver is, I just want to scream. Fans can only comment on perception--that is what the drivers give us, and that's all we deserve. If the perceptions are incorrect, shame on the PR people. I would like to start a collection to fund your fantasy call. Would be entertaining and liberating for sure. :punkrocke
Hahahahaha. How much do you think you could raise? (Though some days I'd be willing to pay someone to put me on the air.)

I'm not sure how seriously to take Moody's opinion of drivers. I don't know how accurate his perception of drivers are since no one is going to let their guard down when a media member is around (at least most don't. Some famously do ;)).

Overall I like the channel. And as with all things, some aspects I like, others not so much. I go between channels 60,70, and Nascar a lot. Moody and Angie really wear on me if I let them, but, I change channels and all is good.

@DGodfatherMoody

OK, it official. @angieskinner5 will be leaving SXM Speedway at the end of `14, to tackle new projects. We're all thrilled for her...

@DGodfatherMoody

...and are excited to have our good friend @SuzyQArmstrong back on board to handle the news!

@DGodfatherMoody

OK, it official. @angieskinner5 will be leaving SXM Speedway at the end of `14, to tackle new projects. We're all thrilled for her...

@DGodfatherMoody

...and are excited to have our good friend @SuzyQArmstrong back on board to handle the news!
I guess Moody will have to find another yes (wo)man.

I used to have XM. I'm not a big fan of listening to talk shows when I'm driving, would rather listen to rock or country music. I listened to NASCAR Radio a lot -- don't know if the show with Rick Benjamin and Chocolate Myers is still on but I really enjoyed that one. Moody's funny to listen to but, sometimes, frustrating.

Couldn't tell you much more. Like I said, I like to rock out when I'm driving.

I'm not sure how seriously to take Moody's opinion of drivers. I don't know how accurate his perception of drivers are since no one is going to let their guard down when a media member is around (at least most don't. Some famously do ;)).

I agree with that. There are drivers on the short track scene who are totally different people around me than they are around other people.

Then, there's Tony Stewart, who's genuinely a good guy but is famously as a**hole to the media. :lol2:

@angieskinner5

I'm NOT leaving @SiriusXMNASCAR just moving to another show 22 Sunday's a year! @SkinnerRoundUp debuts Jan 4 12pm EST. w @MSTheGunslinger

Hugely valuable channel in the offseason given that there is nothing else NASCAR related. The opinionated stuff is what those shows are about, but I HATE the demeaning of callers with a dissenting opinion. I was trying to figure out the other day why I like Colin Cowherd, but cannot stand the caustic schtick of some of the NASCAR shows, and it hit me. Cowherd goes it alone. You and him. Bring it. The shows on NASCAR Radio whose foundation is belittling callers have two hosts who cover each other's asses. HATE that ass kissing stuff.
Well, now you'll have you chance to take on Moody one on one. Solo at the beginning of the new year with the departure of Angie Skinner.

I don't think much of anybody that gives "themselves" a nickname. Rowdy, Outlaw, Godfather etc.

More info on the new Skinner show on NASCAR Radio from jayski.....

Mike and Angie Skinner to host new SiriusXM Show: SiriusXM personality Angie Skinner and husband Mike Skinner, a former NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion, will team up to host a new show on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, channel 90, starting in 2015. Skinner Round-Up will debut on Sunday, January 4, at 12:00pm/et and air select Sundays throughout the year. The three-hour program will feature a wide variety of guests - from past NASCAR champions to upcoming talent from the NASCAR NEXT program - and will cover everything from technical analysis during the "Skinner Garage presented by WIX Filters" segment to a lifestyle segment designed to give fans a look at the drivers' lives away from the track. The show will air on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Sundays during the offseason at 12:00pm/et. During the season, Skinner Round-Up will air at 11:00am/et on those Sundays following a Saturday night NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event.

I'm sure most of you will love to trash this show as well. For me, I'm looking forward to yet another show on the channel.

Well, now you'll have you chance to take on Moody one on one. Solo at the beginning of the new year with the departure of Angie Skinner.

Moody is different. He is never alone. He is his own best fan and supporter. He won't even know that Angie is gone.

More info on the new Skinner show on NASCAR Radio from jayski.....

Mike and Angie Skinner to host new SiriusXM Show: SiriusXM personality Angie Skinner and husband Mike Skinner, a former NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion, will team up to host a new show on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, channel 90, starting in 2015. Skinner Round-Up will debut on Sunday, January 4, at 12:00pm/et and air select Sundays throughout the year. The three-hour program will feature a wide variety of guests - from past NASCAR champions to upcoming talent from the NASCAR NEXT program - and will cover everything from technical analysis during the "Skinner Garage presented by WIX Filters" segment to a lifestyle segment designed to give fans a look at the drivers' lives away from the track. The show will air on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio Sundays during the offseason at 12:00pm/et. During the season, Skinner Round-Up will air at 11:00am/et on those Sundays following a Saturday night NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event.

I'm sure most of you will love to trash this show as well. For me, I'm looking forward to yet another show on the channel.

Won't trash if they aren't asses to their audience. I think you will really like 22 episodes of Hornaday and the Dillon brothers. What's not to love?

Won't trash if they aren't asses to their audience. I think you will really like 22 episodes of Hornaday and the Dillon brothers. What's not to love?
Yep. I like all the shows. Disagreeing with them is no different than being on this board IMO. I don't agree with everyone on here either.

Yep. I like all the shows. Disagreeing with them is no different than being on this board IMO. I don't agree with everyone on here either.

Yeah, but consistent with my bitch, I don't like it when people here get personal, and act like asses either.

All of the big timers are off for the holidays. Can't wait to talk racing for once with the replacement talent. Come on 2015! Getting jacked already!

The big guns return and The Morning Drive and Speedway use Stuart Scott's death as a spring board to talk about their personal greatness. A new low for guys who had already dug deep. Pathetic. Shut the channel off for the first time since my subscription.

The big guns return and The Morning Drive and Speedway use Stuart Scott's death as a spring board to talk about their personal greatness. A new low for guys who had already dug deep. Pathetic. Shut the channel off for the first time since my subscription.
I didn't listen to either yesterday, but that's really unfortunate if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom