The Mayfield Story

Mayfield was trouble and not the good kind before he the drug story ever made news.

When he was with Penske he couldn't get along with Rusty or the Captain. At the time Rusty was the anchor or the flagship driver. When Penske returned to Cup racing in the early 90s, Rusty was the cornerstone, very much like Mark Martin was Roushs conerstone when he entered the cup series. In todays terms it would be as bad as a new driver at Hendricks fueding with JJ or Gordon. Only a fool would bite the hands that feed him.

Then there was the trashing talking of Evernham and Croker. I dont condone cheating, but that isnt a licence to verbally trash your owner. He was an idiot for doing so and to lesser degree he was a train wreck prior to his suspension simply based on a lack of common sense.

You dont get away with burning bridges like that in Nascar. Even Kyle Pettty got fired by Hoss Ellington for bad mouthing his cars (back when Richard was still one of the most influential people). Mayfield was driving a piece meal deal at the time of suspension because he had bitten the hand of every golden opportunity he ever had.

He has failed two drug test and he also has demonstrated the poor judgement of very troubled person. Having five dogs that attacked a postal worker and getting busted with stolen property legitimately incriminates his character imo. I realize the charges of theft were dropped, but there isnt a once of character credibility that warrants sympathy.

He fits the pattern, and one those attributes is a good poor pitiful me story. The sleazy ones always have the best hard luck stories. I dont care much for Robin Pemerton but when he referred to Mayfield as "rift raft", I am in agreement.

Good riddance, hopefully he eventually learns and has a good post race life, but a post race life is the way it should be and remain.

Honestly, there's only two reason I doubt NASCAR side of this is because they screwed over drivers before, remember Tim Richmond? NASCAR screwed him over and now they're trying to hide the fact that they banned a driver that could have been better than Sr. from the sport.

The second reason is, Mayfield has got to be the healthiest looking meth addict I've ever seen! If you've seen Before and After pictures of meth addicts, you'd realize that the drug can drastically alter your physical features. The fact that Mayfield doesn't look like a walking zombie kind of makes me doubt NASCAR's drug test.

Tim Richmond. A story that has been hashed and rehashed. Different times. IF you lived in that era than you know how people looked at AIDS. They weren't through the same eyes as today.

As far as Tim being better than Dale. We would have never know. Ban or no ban. He died of AIDS and would have with or without the ban for a failed drug test. NASCAR didn't have a thing to do with that.

I bring up Tim Richmond to show that NASCAR does have a history of screwing over drivers. Let's not pretend that they're this sanctioning body that can do no wrong. As for the healthy meth addict thing. Okay, then how do you explain two positive results from NASCAR, but every other test done by clinics and hospitals be negative? Either the independent labs are incorrect or NASCAR is.

I'm way too lazy to go back and look up all of those stories again. I did all of that research on the net way back in the day. Besides, we both have our minds made up on guilt or innocence and we aren't changing them. I'll agree to disagree on anything other than Mayfield being his own demise.

As far as Richmond goes. Apples and Oranges. Not the same thing by any means. Completely different subject IMO. The public perception of the disease played a huge role in the thought process back then. Most everyone is now able to go back and look at things differently but at the time, not so much. There's a great video out there on YouTube from ESPN. I think it was the Tim Richmond Story on 30 for 30. Something like that. It gives great insight into the times at which it was playing out.

He burned his bridges at Penske, His remarks about Everham and Crocker sealed the deal he was soon to be a goner. I can easily see a "that sumbeech" comment being said by Everham being overheard and taken to the big office and it being decided that come he77 or high water he was out.

Mayfield was a ****** driver anyway that wouldn't likely be cup now even without the drug problems.

As far as healthy looking people on meth. It's a misconception that everyone that uses the drug looks like the worst pictures that you've seen on the drug. People from all walks of life use the drug. They don't all look like what you picture them to be.

That's true depending how much meth a person uses, however according to the (at the time) cheif toxicologist from Broward County, Jeremy would've had to have been a "chronic user" to have as much meth in his system as the results from nascar's test showed. If nascar's test was legit Jeremy would certainly have shown physical signs of chronic meth use... which he didn't.

I know it sounds crazy, but imo nascar spiked that test to help prove their case against Jeremy. Either that or Dr Black is completely incompetent to come up with test results that show that much meth in Jeremy's system.

nascar's results "could not be remotely accurate", while the results from a test taken less than an hour later from an independent lap showed no traces of meth.

He burned his bridges at Penske, His remarks about Everham and Crocker sealed the deal he was soon to be a goner. I can easily see a "that sumbeech" comment being said by Everham being overheard and taken to the big office and it being decided that come he77 or high water he was out.
He burned his bridges.
That says it all in a nutshell.

Sometimes its good to burn bridges it feels good.
But you can never, ever go back.

That's true depending how much meth a person uses, however according to the (at the time) cheif toxicologist from Broward County, Jeremy would've had to have been a "chronic user" to have as much meth in his system as the results from nascar's test showed. If nascar's test was legit Jeremy would certainly have shown physical signs of chronic meth use... which he didn't.

I know it sounds crazy, but imo nascar spiked that test to help prove their case against Jeremy. Either that or Dr Black is completely incompetent to come up with test results that show that much meth in Jeremy's system.

nascar's results "could not be remotely accurate", while the results from a test taken less than an hour later from an independent lap showed no traces of meth.
This. NASCAR implemented their random drug tests & needed a fall guy. I'll never believe mayfield is or was ever a meth head.

I am not defending Mayfield but Nascar is about as trusted to me as the goverment. They have their own demons as well so I will always question their integrity or lack there of. Dont ever fool yourself into thinking Nascar is anything much more legit than the WWE. Anybody remember Brian France running a Lexus into a palm tree down in Florida? You know he was drunk or stoned but somehow he got away with it. Nascar is judge, jury, and executioner and has no checks and balances. This is why so many drivers kiss their ass constantly.

I am not defending Mayfield but Nascar is about as trusted to me as the goverment. They have their own demons as well so I will always question their integrity or lack there of. Dont ever fool yourself into thinking Nascar is anything much more legit than the WWE. Anybody remember Brian France running a Lexus into a palm tree down in Florida? You know he was drunk or stoned but somehow he got away with it. Nascar is judge, jury, and executioner and has no checks and balances. This is why so many drivers kiss their ass constantly.
It's their sandbox. Play by their rules or find another sandbox.

I really thought Mayfield 's career was over when he left Penske . Evernham gave him a reprieve ,but hardly a top tier ride . When he bad mouthed Ray , I never expected he could recover . The drug thing ? I don't know , maybe it was botched , maybe not . The stuff that came later , came later.

I agree with some others around here that Nascar blackballed him, not just to make an example out of him but to show that you do things that they don't like that this what we can do to you..
Bad mouth Roger Penske and then Evernham you're asking for it.

I agree with some others around here that Nascar blackballed him, not just to make an example out of him but to show that you do things that they don't like that this what we can do to you..
Bad mouth Roger Penske and then Evernham you're asking for it.

Possibly true, but I dont think Evernham or Penske are the type to resort such methods. They found him to be a problem and fired him, I would think it ended there.
I would like to believe they are above that kind of thing.

I also think their focus was on beating other teams if matters were to be personalized. Mayfield was no threat in that regard either, and imo he doesn't deserve the credibility of having their attention.

Usually when someone (or Nascar in this case) wants to abuse someone there is a motive, and I just dont see one in this case. There is also no good PR from a driver failing a drug test, or in other words cherry picking a Fall Guy is counterproductive. There is nothing to gain, and everything to lose if the fraud is exposed, why would Nascar put their empire at risk over such a worthless pursuit.

On the other hand Mayfaid has a proven record of poor even foolish choices. If I am just considering circumstantial points, he stinks a lot more imo.

Possibly true, but I dont think Evernham or Penske are the type to resort such methods. They found him to be a problem and fired him, I would think it ended there.
I would like to believe they are above that kind of thing.

I also think their focus was on beating other teams if matters were to be personalized. Mayfield was no threat in that regard either, and imo he doesn't deserve the credibility of having their attention.

Usually when someone (or Nascar in this case) wants to abuse someone there is a motive, and I just dont see one in this case. There is also no good PR from a driver failing a drug test, or in other words cherry picking a Fall Guy is counterproductive. There is nothing to gain, and everything to lose if the fraud is exposed, why would Nascar put their empire at risk over such a worthless pursuit.

On the other hand Mayfaid has a proven record of poor even foolish choices. If I am just considering circumstantial points, he stinks a lot more imo.

You're right on . Penske and Ray didn't blackball him . Other owners looked at his record , and said "Do I need that?" I don't think it's possible or likely for an owner to blackball a good driver . The other owners are always looking for the best talent available .

I can't imagine Rusty was a joy to work with as far as teammates go, so I'd give Jeremy a pass for whatever happened at Penske.

A lot of you guys are from the South, like me, and surely know or have seen people on Meth who are overweight and have teeth. False or real. I've.. heard of people who knew HEAVY HEAVY meth users and you could never tell it.

Eventually it catches up with you, for sure. But you can't always tell.

In my line of work, I've seen every stage of just about every kind of drug use. You honestly can't always tell.

A lot of you guys are from the South, like me, and surely know or have seen people on Meth who are overweight and have teeth. False or real. I've.. heard of people who knew HEAVY HEAVY meth users and you could never tell it.

Eventually it catches up with you, for sure. But you can't always tell.

In my line of work, I've seen every stage of just about every kind of drug use. You honestly can't always tell.

That is simply not possible.

A "heavy heavy" meth user is going to be awake for a week at a time without eating. When a person has been awake for more than a few days without sleep they start losing their mind. They don't behave as normal. You know it when you see someone like that, especially if you knew them before they began using. You can not be a heavy heavy user of meth and have no physical signs of it, period.

That is simply not possible.

A "heavy heavy" meth user is going to be awake for a week at a time without eating. When a person has been awake for more than a few days without sleep they start losing their mind. They don't behave as normal. You know it when you see someone like that, especially if you knew them before they began using. You can not be a heavy heavy user of meth and have no physical signs of it, period.

I reckon if you watch their mouths close, it's easy enough to tell but (sometimes) heavy users aren't near as physically wasted as some seem to think.
I've personally seen very obese daily heavy users. Sometimes it's just different.

As for Mayfield, I didn't pay enough attention to the whole fiasco to have an opinion on whether or not he was/is a user of anything. Meth, talent or otherwise.

I reckon if you watch their mouths close, it's easy enough to tell but (sometimes) heavy users aren't near as physically wasted as some seem to think.
I've personally seen very obese daily heavy users. Sometimes it's just different.

As for Mayfield, I didn't pay enough attention to the whole fiasco to have an opinion on whether or not he was/is a user of anything. Meth, talent or otherwise.

Perhaps a casual meth user, but not a heavy meth user. A person is not going to eat or sleep while they use meth. A heavy meth user is not going to eat or sleep for days and days at a time.

If you've seen heavy meth users that are obese and show no signs of sleep deprivation then they are countering the meth with the heavy use of another drug or they are not heavy meth users.

Perhaps a casual meth user, but not a heavy meth user. A person is not going to eat or sleep while they use meth. A heavy meth user is not going to eat or sleep for days and days at a time.

If you've seen heavy meth users that are obese and show no signs of sleep deprivation then they are countering the meth with the heavy use of another drug or they are not heavy meth users.
Okie Dokie

Someone's gonna post it sooner or later. The Mayfield story told from his side. I know he's still got some fans out there. Here's the first part of some series that they are putting out there.

The Mayfield Story | Part I - "The Fall"

Where's Part II?

I've also seen first hand what meth use does to people. I've seen people's complete character and mannerisms shift within the span of a few months, and that's not even with regular use. They just seem permanently tweaked out. Their cadence, eye-movement, facial expressions, it's very gross. Before you will get effects that will take months to repair, you can count the number of times you have used meth on your fingers.

I've been around a lot of drug users working with NA and AA but nothing compares to meth in terms of the destruction. The speed, horror and the way it creeps up on kids. Even those who seem to manage the use relatively 'well' (few times a year) end up on binges and doing a lot of damage. Meth is 10 times as potent as coke and because of the duration, meth users will want to be high for days, and probably will be.

If Jeremy was a heavy meth user everyone would clearly see the effects.

I've also seen first hand what meth use does to people. I've seen people's complete character and mannerisms shift within the span of a few months, and that's not even with regular use. They just seem permanently tweaked out. Their cadence, eye-movement, facial expressions, it's very gross. Before you will get effects that will take months to repair, you can count the number of times you have used meth on your fingers.

I've been around a lot of drug users working with NA and AA but nothing compares to meth in terms of the destruction. The speed, horror and the way it creeps up on kids. Even those who seem to manage the use relatively 'well' (few times a year) end up on binges and doing a lot of damage. Meth is 10 times as potent as coke and because of the duration, meth users will want to be high for days, and probably will be.

If Jeremy was a heavy meth user everyone would clearly see the effects.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've always thought. I've tried a lot of stupid ****. But that's one of only a few that I've had completely blacklisted since forever.

NASCAR will never admit that they may have messed up Mayfield's two drug test. I've just never seen them admit fault to....anything.

I can't imagine Rusty was a joy to work with as far as teammates go, so I'd give Jeremy a pass for whatever happened at Penske.

Just out of curiousity , does anyone remember a good Rusty Wallace/teammate combo package ?

The much anticipated Part II is now out. :rolleyes:

The Mayfield Story | Part II "The Road"

For those that care.....

The Mayfield Story | Part I - "The Fall"

I watched the video and think he was not necessarily wrong with his opinion on the matter, but, in real life sometimes you have to compromise to get ahead and along. He chose to fight the system from the get go instead of just doing the recovery thing and moving on. I see why he was on Ridolin after watching the video. Life is full of compromises and he chose poorly.

Now the real reason for the video is trying to get a made for TV movie or documentary deal, whether he will admit it or not. Or he is flat innocent and is not going to let this go until the day he dies. Either way it want make a bit of difference in the skeem of things.

Just out of curiousity , does anyone remember a good Rusty Wallace/teammate combo package ?

Rusty has flat out said "I'm a Prima donna", and he was against the idea of multi-car teams. Even more than Dale Earnhardt.

I think Mayfield was royally screwed over by the legal system, even if he was guilty! And I have some serious doubts about that.

blah.....blah .....blah ................................

2 choices now.
---dinger method
or
---mayfield method.

Back
Top Bottom