Tire test at Michigan

Yes, it is. Dare I say it..... I wonder how far we are from them putting a plate on these things at that track? I hope that's not the case but they are not going to let cars run those type of speeds before something happens.

Last week I posted a pic from Michigan of them using a jet dryer to melt the snow on the track. While they cleaned off the track it did nothing to the snow built up behind the SAFER barrier. Went they went to start testing yesterday they had water seeping down the track from the melting snow. You'd think they would have though of that before sending teams up there to test yesterday.

can someone post the pic as I cant access twitter at work

can someone post the pic as I cant access twitter at work
BkyVUUUCYAAMlku.jpg

215 top speed is not unusual for Michigan, when the top 5 in qualifying is normally above 200mph average speed.

Wow, that is crazy! They probably won't put in a restrictor plate till a car crashes into the stands or a driver dies. Sadly, NASCAR is only proactive when it's trying to manufacture drama and excitement.

The powers to be at nascar will soil their shorts when they see that speed. 203.241 is the qualifying record, 215 is a long way from 203. Two or more cars get hooked up in the draft =? mph? Goodyear tire engineers will be eating tranks like skittles.
Bet a dollar to a sack o' donuts they'll be a rule change before they race there again.

Reactions: JEB
Like Harvick's car states, that's freaky fast.

Yes it is, but what is crazier than that is the pole run at Texas this past weekend was 195.4 average speed, so you figure Tony was probably in the 205mph range top speed at the 1.5 miler.

The powers to be at nascar will soil their shorts when they see that speed. 203.241 is the qualifying record, 215 is a long way from 203. Two or more cars get hooked up in the draft =? mph? Goodyear tire engineers will be eating tranks like skittles.
Bet a dollar to a sack o' donuts they'll be a rule change before they race there again.

203.2 is the average speed for that lap. The top speed for that lap was very likely at or above 215mph.

just curious...what is the top speed on a NASCAR car unrestricted?

Dale Jr. just getting it warmed up for that yearly Michigan win.

I'm sorry I had to...

About those tires? Is NASCAR going to give a limit at Michigan with the Camber angles? Those left sides better be pretty damn tough because we have already seen this at California with the blowouts. I like the lack of a limitation, but sometimes it just HAS to be imposed for precaution.

Reactions: JEB
I saw a picture on Race Hub of a hauler in the parking lot with a lot of snow next to it so the temps may have still been pretty cold and the engines were probably making a little extra horsepower... but the temps will probably be a lot warmer when they come back to race in June, so the speeds will probably go down on their own.

Last edited:
Kahne had a nasty hit there after blowing a tire in the middle of turn 1 last year. He's fortunate it wasn't right when entering the turn because that would've been a terrible angle to hit at it. That track is stupid fast.

just curious...what is the top speed on a NASCAR car unrestricted?

Officially Bill Elliott holds the record for fastest unrestricted lap at 212.8 at Talladega. Not sure what the top speed was, but in 2004 Rusty Wallace tuned an unofficial lap at Dega at 216.3 average with a top speed of 228mph.

Just a guess but I'd say Elliott's lap was in the 225mph top speed range.

@PPistone

We now have a 217 mph at Michigan #NASCAR

@ClintBowyer

217mph top speed so far at @MISpeedway

Officially Bill Elliott holds the record for fastest unrestricted lap at 212.8 at Talladega. Not sure what the top speed was, but in 2004 Rusty Wallace tuned an unofficial lap at Dega at 216.3 average with a top speed of 228mph.

Just a guess but I'd say Elliott's lap was in the 225mph top speed range.

With numbers like we are seeing at MIS todays NASCAR car might be able to go faster?

I love the Gen 6. I love the speed. I love the spectacle. The tires are improving the racing. We shouldn't limit it by any means.

Kahne had a nasty hit there after blowing a tire in the middle of turn 1 last year. He's fortunate it wasn't right when entering the turn because that would've been a terrible angle to hit at it. That track is stupid fast.

You just had to put that up haha.

I'm betting there will be more of the same at Michigan like we saw at Fontana. Tire issues, engine problems, etc.

But I'm skeptical about the race, faster cars will just spread them out more and provide with a boring race.

You just had to put that up haha.

I'm betting there will be more of the same at Michigan like we saw at Fontana. Tire issues, engine problems, etc.

But I'm skeptical about the race, faster cars will just spread them out more and provide with a boring race.
Michigan is sooo much smoother though.

Yes, it's top speed. Weren't we at about 210 last year into turn one?

Taking part in the tire test are: #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #16-Greg Biffle, #15-Clint Bowyer, #21-Trevor Bayne and #31-Ryan Newman.

Watch their Twitter feeds for updates.

@nascarcasm

Drivers hitting 220 into turn 1 @MISpeedway nearly as impressive and amazing as a Chicago Cub hitting .220 into all-star break.

Time to put the New Hampshire restrictor plate on them.

They'll probably be changing the engine spec to 300 cid (5L) sooner than later. For V8s that's a more common engine size these days.

Didn't Cale Yarborough have a lap at 228 just before he got sideways and was launched into the air at Daytona? I guess that's why Nascar is going to reduce horsepower next year.

Honestly, I'm digging these faster speeds & I bet the drivers are too. Except Tony Stewart. I'd love to see these guys race around MIS at 210-220. As long as the engines can handle it for 400 miles

Back
Top Bottom