What's up w/ Denny Hamlin?

P

PokerRun388

What's going on with Denny and his #11 FedEx team the last few years?

It just seems like Denny went from being a championship contending car a few years back to now just trying to get a win and get into the top 10? Last season was a struggle and everything looked great at Daytona 2014, now the last few races it just seems like he's a 10-15th place car?

I really like Denny and his mellow personality and I feel he's a very talented driver!

What's going on with #11 and JGR? Are they contender's this year or.....?

JGR hasn't exectly been 'on it' so far in 2014. The Fontana win was, IMO, due to circumstances and not because #18 was the best car. As for Hamlin, he won Homestead last year so it's not like he has the longest losing streak going :)

It just seems like Denny went from being a championship contending car a few years back to now just trying to get a win and get into the top 10? Last season was a struggle and everything looked great at Daytona 2014, now the last few races it just seems like he's a 10-15th place car?

I really like Denny and his mellow personality and I feel he's a very talented driver!

Wouldn't surprise me if they put it together at some point. He did have a 5-win season just two years ago, so the potential to contend is there.

I dont believe that JGR is a major contender yet this year, I have no doubt that they will improve though. I sure hope they do

I think Gibbs will put all three cars into the chase . Will Denny be the worst of the three ? Likely . Same as Kasey may be the worst of the Hendrick cars . Still pretty darn good compared to the rest of the field.

He's scared of Joey :D lol No but seriously.. I think its the team if anything. They're a bit behind. I wouldn't put it past someone to be a bit less than championship contending material after going through a broken back though. May have affected his mentality. I don't think so though, I think its just the team.

JGR hasn't exectly been 'on it' so far in 2014. The Fontana win was, IMO, due to circumstances and not because #18 was the best car. As for Hamlin, he won Homestead last year so it's not like he has the longest losing streak going :)

Completely agree. JGR had some speed but not as much as Hendrick. Set up was conservative thanks to TRD, and that's what won it in the end. JGR is not there yet.

With all of the talk about what crap the Gen 5 was, I believe that Denny was one of the few who suffered with its demise. He was magic on the brake at Martinsville with the heavier car. Take 150 lbs. out of it, and everybody got better. He was no longer special. He has a lot of ability. I think he will adjust. I also think that he is working on the relationship with Darian--he needs to stay, or I believe that it will set Denny back again.

Breaking your back is generally not good for the career of a race car driver.
^ This.

The back injury is what set him back last year, and as others have said, JGR hasn't really been up to snuff yet this year as a team. Don't worry, OP. Hamglaze will be back to his winning ways soon enough. All he does is win.

I don't like denny I think he is too snobbish and comes off way too arrogant. With that said I think he has a lot of mental tuffness issues. when he is high he is one of the guys to beat. but at the same time put some problems in his path and he has trouble dealing with it.

That strategy didn't quite work out for Mayfield.
actually it looks like that was a rumor that he was trying to skip a piss test. Thats why dale jr and some others commented on how strange it was for him to be out of the car at the last minute.

actually it looks like that was a rumor that he was trying to skip a piss test. Thats why dale jr and some others commented on how strange it was for him to be out of the car at the last minute.

That was bull****, and Junior looked stupid for the passive/aggressive mind games. Junior doesn't need that ****--he is driving well

What another terrible finish for Denny last night. I was really hoping #11 would be running better this year and have a win by now, but the struggles continue. Does anyone think Denny is in jeopardy of losing his ride in the #11? Or is he safe with JGR?

What another terrible finish for Denny last night. I was really hoping #11 would be running better this year and have a win by now, but the struggles continue. Does anyone think Denny is in jeopardy of losing his ride in the #11? Or is he safe with JGR?
I think he's safe for a bit anyway.. when is his contract up? He's won at least one race every year he's been in cup and only missed the chase last year after breaking his back. I don't like him but I expect him to win at least once this year. Probably more than once.

Absolutely safe. However, I agree on his performance. Matt touched on it pre-race when he said that they had not gotten a handle on the new 0 Ride Height rules, but that they were gaining on it. In Matt, you see a driver that might be one of the best--perhaps ever--in taking what the car gives him. For example, the best his car was ever going to be last night was a fourth place car. Denny and Kyle are different. Denny starts doing this pit stuff when he is pushing too hard, and he is getting frustrated. Kyle drives the wheels off of it, and has plenty of stripes from last night to show for it. JGR's mojo is crap right now. Everything will be questioned. Kyle has started in on the TRD motor....again. How can you tell what kind of motor you have when you can't get off of the corner is a mystery to me, but whatever. JGR will be testing at Martinsville next week. MARTINSVILLE! You have Denny Hamlin in your line up, and you need to practice at Martinsville? It will be interesting to see if they can turn this around. Struggling.

Absolutely safe. However, I agree on his performance. Matt touched on it pre-race when he said that they had not gotten a handle on the new 0 Ride Height rules, but that they were gaining on it. In Matt, you see a driver that might be one of the best--perhaps ever--in taking what the car gives him. For example, the best his car was ever going to be last night was a fourth place car. Denny and Kyle are different. Denny starts doing this pit stuff when he is pushing too hard, and he is getting frustrated. Kyle drives the wheels off of it, and has plenty of stripes from last night to show for it. JGR's mojo is crap right now. Everything will be questioned. Kyle has started in on the TRD motor....again. How can you tell what kind of motor you have when you can't get off of the corner is a mystery to me, but whatever. JGR will be testing at Martinsville next week. MARTINSVILLE! You have Denny Hamlin in your line up, and you need to practice at Martinsville? It will be interesting to see if they can turn this around. Struggling.

Seems like Kyle has never accepted the TRD engine, even when they arent blowing up he either cusses the fuel mileage or the power. I think its his loyalty to some of the people that JGR had in the engine program.

JGR will be testing at Martinsville next week. MARTINSVILLE! You have Denny Hamlin in your line up, and you need to practice at Martinsville? .
Denny to Joe Gibbs....."Please can we take a team test at Martinsville?... I need to make good on my promise" :D

Lmao seriously? Not a snowballs chance in hell of him being fired

I think he's safe for a bit anyway.. when is his contract up? He's won at least one race every year he's been in cup and only missed the chase last year after breaking his back. I don't like him but I expect him to win at least once this year. Probably more than once.

If he's on the hotseat so is 30 other drivers

Denny hit the wall and saw God. Regardless of all the tough guy talk it plays on your mind. He's got a kid and I'm sure he'd like to see him/her grow up.

Denny hit the wall and saw God. Regardless of all the tough guy talk it plays on your mind. He's got a kid and I'm sure he'd like to see him/her grow up.

B...........Wait for it..............S

Denny to Joe Gibbs....."Please can we take a team test at Martinsville?... I need to make good on my promise" :D

Uh oh, Sliced is getting cheeky. Success in racing is fleeting. Be careful. LOL.

Seems like Kyle has never accepted the TRD engine, even when they arent blowing up he either cusses the fuel mileage or the power. I think its his loyalty to some of the people that JGR had in the engine program.

Yup. Close to Cronquist at JGR. Nobody forced him to re-sign. He knew the lay of the land....and Toyota has been very good to him. Saved KBM. Bread....Butter.... Which side? TRD respects him. A championship would help all sides.

Uh oh, Sliced is getting cheeky. Success in racing is fleeting. Be careful. LOL.
LOL My dislike for Denny Hamlin however, is not... Im confident enough in my driver to be a little "cheeky" at times. You should have seen me last year... I was way worse and didn't even have the stats to back it up. I've become much more humble. I've learned the hard that it's hard to bite your tongue when your foot is in your mouth. :lol2: Hehe not a bad mixed metaphor.. just made that one up lol
Bread....Butter.... Which side?
Bread :D

LOL My dislike for Denny Hamlin however, is not... Im confident enough in my driver to be a little "cheeky" at times. You should have seen me last year... I was way worse and didn't even have the stats to back it up. I've become much more humble. I've learned the hard that it's hard to bite your tongue when your foot is in your mouth. :lol2: Hehe not a bad mixed metaphor.. just made that one up lol

I like it! You've got a couple of weeks prior to running the risk of being wrong. Live it up!

Yup. Close to Cronquist at JGR. Nobody forced him to re-sign. He knew the lay of the land....and Toyota has been very good to him. Saved KBM. Bread....Butter.... Which side? TRD respects him. A championship would help all sides.

They have the driver, if they want a cup they have too give him the necessary tools to win one and they have yet to do that IMO

You remember the 4 car at Phoenix and Darlington ?? None of the Toyota guys has had anything even close this year. I cant remember ever seeing a car that good at Darlington or Phoenix either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very good, Grasshopper. Here's another for your files. You can't put your foot in your mouth if your head is up your ass.

Back
Top Bottom