2013 Indy 500 - Pole Day Discussion

I hate knockout qualifying at Indy, but not as much as Team Penske and Will Power. They got their manufactured drama.

Congratulations to Tony George's stepson's little team that could. I hope that's goood vodka.

A rookie in row 1? Oh god, I hope he doesn't wreck half the field in the parade lap like Kevin Cogan.

We always liked Jourdain, too, aka 'Michael Jordan Jr.' as we called him back when he drove for the team co-owned by Walter Payton (and Dale Coyne). It seemed like Jan and Gil were creating more false drama with his throttle telemetry; did anyone see that displayed for any other cars? The other drivers had to also be lifting or dragging the brakes if they were hitting 230 at the end of the straight. Michel's reaction when they pulled the plug was genuinely heart-wrenching.

The biggest surprise of the weekend has to be Buddy Lazier. Yes I heard Robin Miller say it first, but it's true, when you consider that they threw that car together on Friday, then he goes out for the first time in 3 years and runs four laps at 225 after a little practice in the morning. Makes us older guys feel better.

Rahal's team under performed all week. James and Graham had troubles of their own to even qualify where they did. What I didn't understand was, all week Jourdain had problems getting over 220. Yet they never used the T-Car (backup) in practice, but Graham and Jakes both got practice in on there primary and T-cars. I am sure Jourdains T-car could not have been as bad as his primary, I understand it takes about 2 hours to switch the engine from the primary to the backup but they had 6 hours to get the car up to speed today to qualify. Not to mention all the practice they had monday-friday.

Buddy Lazier has always been great at Indy, I remember a few years back Panther threw him in a spare car after he hadn't raced in a while and finished 5th in the 500. In the 2000 Indy 500 that Montoya dominated Lazier dominated the rest of the field that day taking home a 2nd. His team also said Montoya had an edge since Montoya's pit crew had been in action that weekend at the CART race, while the IRL teams didn't get the chance to practice. Also good job to Katherine Legg, yeah she qualified slowest but she didn't practice before today, and this was the team Buddy Rice refused to drive for. Schmidt threw this team together and put his own full time driver Vautier at risk of a possible bump in the process.

I didn't get to see qualifying, just the end of bump day (if you could call it that). I was surprised that a small team took the pole and that Allmendinger got 5th. Katherine Legg was well spoken when asked about getting a ride, qualifying, and Jourdan's situation. It looks like Chevy has an advantage and I wonder how that will play out.

It looks like Chevy has an advantage and I wonder how that will play out.

Yeah, as a Chevy fan, I agree, but they were equally strong last year and Honda ended up winning the race. Seems like this turbo Honda V6 always saves something for the race day trim. I remember last year the Hondas were awful and Foyt said live on NBC Sports Net "Looks like we picked the wrong engine company." I bet the old boys in Hamamatsu were pissed about that. :D Not that Super Tex would give a damn anyway.

EJ Viso in row 2 scares me more. Especially with AJ Allmendinger starting next to him, he hasn't drove at Indy before either and hasn't had to start three wide.

Crap, I knew that A.J. has Rookie Munoz in front of him, I was worried about that potential starting wreck. Rookie E.J. Viso beside him makes it worse. The one I am worried about the most is the knucklehead Helio behind him who is going to try to lead the first lap.:idunno:

Crap, I knew that A.J. has Rookie Munoz in front of him, I was worried about that potential starting wreck. Rookie E.J. Viso beside him makes it worse. The one I am worried about the most is the knucklehead Helio behind him who is going to try to lead the first lap.:idunno:

EJ ain't a rookie, he been around for a few years. He is a hothead kind of, but been to Indianapolis before.

I remember when the Olds Aurora brand was competing with Honda, when Honda started to dominate teams jumped from Olds to Honda pretty fast. And they ended up with a spec engine.

EJ ain't a rookie, he been around for a few years. He is a hothead kind of, but been to Indianapolis before.
yeah, I see he isn't. I read on Wiki about him. Quote "He remained one of the more accident-prone drivers in the series" haha great, just great. I don't think they will make it five laps.

FYI, a bit off topic, they are showing the 1989 indy race. One of the better indy races with the little Al, Emo duel. 5/21 12:00cst on ESPNCL

FYI, a bit off topic, they are showing the 1989 indy race. One of the better indy races with the little Al, Emo duel. 5/21 12:00cst on ESPNCL

Emmo drinks orange juice after the Indy 500, was fined by the Speedway, and promptly booed next week at the Milwaukee Mile. :D

Emmo drinks orange juice after the Indy 500, was fined by the Speedway, and promptly booed next week at the Milwaukee Mile. :D
I remember that, he said milk was competition for his orange juice co. I lost respect for him at that point.

yeah, I see he isn't. I read on Wiki about him. Quote "He remained one of the more accident-prone drivers in the series" haha great, just great. I don't think they will make it five laps.

He wasn't accident prone (unless you count Penske drivers cutting him up on ovals) last year, just slow.

Back
Top Bottom