2014 Australian Grand Prix

Racing pushes technology but the tech they develop is always to make a car go faster; that is the purpose for racing. Often, the tech translates into useful developments for passenger cars. But F1 is also a form of entertainment and the fans have an expectation of what F1 should be, I don't think they'd like watching an economy run. I'm not sure how F1 makes decisions for the future of the sport but they have to balance the needs of the sport with a lot of other factors (the fans, technology, cultural changes, etc.).

Sometimes Go Green is just a buzz word, a company might change the color off a product using a less toxic paint an jump on the green bandwagon.

Racing pushes technology but the tech they develop is always to make a car go faster; that is the purpose for racing. Often, the tech translates into useful developments for passenger cars. But F1 is also a form of entertainment and the fans have an expectation of what F1 should be, I don't think they'd like watching an economy run. I'm not sure how F1 makes decisions for the future of the sport but they have to balance the needs of the sport with a lot of other factors (the fans, technology, cultural changes, etc.).

I'd just add that durability is probably one of the biggest parts of racing R&D that makes it into production vehicles. I believe the biggest part of the changes this year were to keep and encourage other big auto manufacturers to be involved with F1. The money that was being put into the previous cars weren't translating to justifiable expenses because things diverged so far from production cars.

Sometimes Go Green is just a buzz word, a company might change the color off a product using a less toxic paint an jump on the green bandwagon.

Kinda like this:

nascar-green.jpg

To be honest I don't know much about NASCAR green, but it does seem a bit ironic on its face. I mean didn't they run carbureted engines for like +20yrs after the last US production car gave up that type of fuel delivery?

I'd just add that durability is probably one of the biggest parts of racing R&D that makes it into production vehicles. I believe the biggest part of the changes this year were to keep and encourage other big auto manufacturers to be involved with F1. The money that was being put into the previous cars weren't translating to justifiable expenses because things diverged so far from production cars.

Kinda like this:

nascar-green.jpg

To be honest I don't know much about NASCAR green, but it does seem a bit ironic on its face. I mean didn't they run carbureted engines for like +20yrs after the last US production car gave up that type of fuel delivery?
The new power units are why Honda is coming back in 2015.

They still do in the camping truck and Nationwide cars.

Back
Top Bottom