2015 Phoenix - Campingworld.com 500(k) - Pre Race Thread

What? So whoever posted those pictures of Truex and his girlfriend and him and girlfriend and Dale Jr. and girlfriend wuz bumping history? I looked at the pictures and read the comments............no, didn't look at dates...........it was on the front page of the Forum. Boy, can't trust anyone............ :) Well, shoot, good for Truex and hope he blows 'em away at Phoenix. Isn't there a law against bumping History?
There are no laws on the Internet; some rules, but no laws. Forum posts are like milk cartons; always check the date.

Very interesting discussion going on on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio with Slugger Labbe talking about shifting @ Phoenix. One of a couple non road courses that they shift at. He is not sure until they hit the track tomorrow if they will still be doing this with the new package. He thinks that some will be and he thinks that we are going to see some engines expire because of it this weekend. If I see them post the audio link, I'll post it here.

Another race this weekend that I'll be unable to watch live. I love my DVR but I prefer the live event. I'm a big fan of the live event running along with the scanner feed from the IPad NASCAR app.

Very interesting discussion going on on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio with Slugger Labbe talking about shifting @ Phoenix. One of a couple non road courses that they shift at. He is not sure until they hit the track tomorrow if they will still be doing this with the new package. He thinks that some will be and he thinks that we are going to see some engines expire because of it this weekend. If I see them post the audio link, I'll post it here.

hope they fix the tin foil shifters if they do

I don't get shifting at Phoenix? It's only a mile track. Unless Nascar gave them a goofy rear end ratio there is no need to shift I wouldn't think.

I don't get shifting at Phoenix? It's only a mile track. Unless Nascar gave them a goofy rear end ratio there is no need to shift I wouldn't think.
Slugger indicated that they started shifting there with the reconfiguration of the track a while back.

512px-Phoenix-international-raceway-2011-new.svg.png

They might be having to shift because of the dog leg I guess.

Some of the JRM nw cars were shifting last year at Phoenix, Harvick was for sure downshifting going into turn one

crazy.gif

Bob Pockrass‏@bobpockrass 24m24 minutes ago
starting this week, any car that doesn't pass pre-qualifying tech after 2 times thru will get docked 15 minutes of practice time. #NASCAR

Heck, I see no problem with this. There should be some sort of penalty. They are giving them an opportunity to get it right.

I think they should give back the time for inspections they took away. This is a new package and seems to have messed with a lot of the teams.

I think they should give back the time for inspections they took away. This is a new package and seems to have messed with a lot of the teams.
.They have sufficient time in the shop to get things right. In the old days they hauled the car home, fixed it up and went to the next race.
These days they have 20 cars at the shop and those cars can be well prepared in advance of taking them to the track. Teams could also have the back up car ready to go off the truck and right to the inspection station complete with engine.

.They have sufficient time in the shop to get things right. In the old days they hauled the car home, fixed it up and went to the next race.
These days they have 20 cars at the shop and those cars can be well prepared in advance of taking them to the track. Teams could also have the back up car ready to go off the truck and right to the inspection station complete with engine.

salute.gif

As usual the entry list gets smaller. Only 45 on the entry list now. Kinda takes the juice out of qualifying.

It may pick back up a little after the swing back east.

Don't know, hope so, but don't know. It seems to me that all that is going on is making the cost of participation soar. Some teams who took a shot at qualifying in the past may not be able to afford to do so anymore. They may opt to just shoot for certain races. But that is just my thoughts

Nah, they always start out with 48 or so. After 5-6 races it drops to 43 and they still call it knockout qualifying despite no one going home.
Its called knockout for the round eliminations I think :p

pir_jeff.jpg

After winning the Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway on Feburary 27, 2011, Jeff Gordon helped tear up the track.

20141109__482135%7Es500%7Eph_500.jpg

2013 Winner @ Phoenix Kevin Harvick

1393802896000-USP-NASCAR-The-Profit-on-CNBC-500-002.jpg

2014 Winner Kevin Harvick

ra03B_8976-1100x726.jpg

2013 Winner Carl Edwards

My understanding was they called it knockout qualifying because of how they now determine who wins the pole, and starting positions. All entries are in the first segment, the fastest 24 times in the second, and then the fastest 12 in the final segment to determine who wins the pole. But, shoot, I could be wrong..........

My understanding was they called it knockout qualifying because of how they now determine who wins the pole, and starting positions. All entries are in the first segment, the fastest 24 times in the second, and then the fastest 12 in the final segment to determine who wins the pole. But, shoot, I could be wrong..........
I thought it was because the tedious opening and closing portions of the TV broadcast knock the audience out of consciousness.
90 minutes of coverage for 30 minutes of on-track action and two 7-minute breaks. That leaves over 20 minutes on either side for yappin'.

I thought it was because the tedious opening and closing portions of the TV broadcast knock the audience out of consciousness.
90 minutes of coverage for 30 minutes of on-track action and two 7-minute breaks. That leaves over 20 minutes on either side for yappin'.
It really is brutal to watch. Their main objective was making it more enjoyable for the fans to watch, but with all of the down time and rehashed dialog from week to week, it's almost unbearable.

It really is brutal to watch. Their main objective was making it more enjoyable for the fans to watch, but with all of the down time and rehashed dialog from week to week, it's almost unbearable.

Welcome to the forum a doubles. Great post

Any news? Are most drivers shifting?

Who? Are they in the second round? I don't get FS2. I got this off twitter for the first round: Round 1 complete. Advancing: 18,31,5,41,1,20,88,42,16,55,3,47,14,27,4,48,19,17,2,24,10,22,13,78 #NASCAR
DF is jumping the gun. Her girl is last in round 2 with 8 drivers left. Prediction: P24.

Back
Top Bottom