2016 Charlotte - Coca-Cola 600 - Pre Race Thread

That'll be me someday. I couldn't name 5 current drivers that will be running there on Sunday but I'd still like to go there some day. Just for the event itself.

Ditto. The indy 500 is the most famous race in American motorsports and the most internationally well-known (sorry Daytona). The 100th running just makes it even more special. People will be saving ticket stubs, programs, all the like just because in 50 years they will be collectable. Plus, 350,000 people in the stands, plus the infield adding over 100,000 more, and you're likely looking at the largest single sporting event ever (although my old grandpa claims there were over 600k there when he went in the 70's).

National Weather Service. It won't bother me if they're wrong. I'll be there whenever it runs, but my guests are leaving Monday. We'll probably catch the X race; I don't want them to leave without seeing at least some racing.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.4087&lon=-80.5795#.V0XG6NT1WCg

Edited: looks like they've tweaked Sunday down a bit.

I think you're gonna be just fine either way. Maybe that's just the optimist in me or maybe it's the sunk cost of the flights and hotels talking:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/charlotte-nc/28202/daily-weather-forecast/349818?day=5

Then there's this little ray of sunshine from the National Hurricane Center:

upload_2016-5-25_12-35-5.png

Practice and qualifying on Thursday, then nothing Friday, then final two practice sessions on Saturday, then the race on Sunday. Does anyone know why the schedule is this way, rather than first practice and qualifying on Friday? Just curious about this. TIA.

Wish Kurt was running the double this year but I can understand why he doesn't.
I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but it's probably my favorite picture from that day. This was at the Indy airport after we were all helicoptered out of IMS, and before we hopped a jet to Charlotte. We were watching the end of the race on a small TV mounted to the wall. You can see KB's parents, Lee Spencer, Tom Jenson and Gene Haas (guy with his back to us). The guy standing in the white shirt is KB's lawyer/agent. The guy sitting next to KB's father is KB's doctor, and the guy next to the doctor is Father Grubba. At the end of the race, everyone clapped loudly, hugged, high fived etc, then ran outside to one of the two planes waiting to take us to Charlotte.

KB Double.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've posted this here before, but it's probably my favorite picture from that day. This was at the Indy airport after we were all helicoptered out of IMS, and before we hopped a jet to Charlotte. We were watching the end of the race on a small TV mounted to the wall. You can see KB's parents, Lee Spencer, Tom Jenson and Gene Haas (guy with his back to us). The guy standing in the white shirt is KB's lawyer/agent. The guy sitting next to KB's father is KB's doctor, and the guy next to the doctor is Father Grubba. At the end of the race, everyone clapped loudly, hugged, high fived etc, then ran outside to one of the two planes waiting to take us to Charlotte.

View attachment 19173

This a great picture, love it. Thanks, Allen.

Practice and qualifying on Thursday, then nothing Friday, then final two practice sessions on Saturday, then the race on Sunday. Does anyone know why the schedule is this way, rather than first practice and qualifying on Friday? Just curious about this. TIA.

I've never understood that either, why no on-track activity on Friday. It's been this way for at least the past 10 years. In fact the only thing I recall changing over the past decade is they moved the Xfinity race from a night race to the afternoon about 5 years ago.

Never understood that as well

THURSDAY, MAY 26:

ON TRACK
-- 2-3:25 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 3:30-4:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 5:30-6:50 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 7:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 1:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- 3 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)

-- 1:15 p.m.: Kyle Larson
-- 1:30 p.m.: Ty Dillon
-- 3:30 p.m.: Carl Edwards
-- 3:45 p.m.: NASCAR Drive for Diversity Pit Crew National Combine
-- 4:45 p.m.: Joey Logano
-- 8:15 p.m. (approx.): Post-NASCAR Sprint Cup Series qualifying

Might be because of the WoO activities on Friday.

I doubt that will make it far enough inland to reach charlotte in time. The showers are projected to come from the west.

Ditto. The indy 500 is the most famous race in American motorsports and the most internationally well-known (sorry Daytona). The 100th running just makes it even more special. People will be saving ticket stubs, programs, all the like just because in 50 years they will be collectable. Plus, 350,000 people in the stands, plus the infield adding over 100,000 more, and you're likely looking at the largest single sporting event ever (although my old grandpa claims there were over 600k there when he went in the 70's).

I would have thought at least one NASCAR driver would have done the double..ESP this year...all the history....

It just amazes me how close DP and TS have run together for almost 3 years. After DP dumps Stenhouse or vice versa, I see DP and TS living happily ever after.:lol2:
There's a joke here, something along the lines of why Danica would want two monkeys and a pig, or two pigs and a monkey, or something like that. I'm working on it...

Back
Top Bottom