2016 Homestead - Ford EcoBoost 400 - Pre Race Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
The NASCAR Sprint Cup, XFINITY and Camping World Truck Series gather for the season-finale tripleheader at Homestead-Miami Speedway this weekend. Check out the full schedule below.

Note: All times are ET

FRIDAY, NOV. 18:

ON TRACK
-- 8:30-9:30 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series first practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 10:30-11:25 a.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 12:30-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 2-3:25 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series first practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:45 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Keystone Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 5-5:55 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 6:15 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 8 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Ford EcoBoost 200 (134 laps, 201 miles), FS1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- Noon: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
-- 1:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series
SATURDAY, NOV. 19:

ON TRACK
-- 10-10:55 a.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series second practice, CNBC/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 11:15 a.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, CNBC/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 1-1:50 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series final practice, NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)
-- 3:30 p.m.: NASCAR XFINITY Series Ford EcoBoost 300 (200 laps, 300 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

SUNDAY, NOV. 20:

ON TRACK
-- 2:30 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Ford EcoBoost 400 (267 laps, 400.5 miles), NBC/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

Homestead is the best 1.5 miler on the schedule besides Atlanta IMO. Partially because of the circumstsnces.

CxT95HSUUAARZJn.jpg:large

Reactions: Pat
Qualifying is shaping up to be exciting for this one folks. 41 cars entered for the 40 car field. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sdj
If Truex, KyBu, Harvick, Keselowski, or Johnson don't win on Sunday, nobody will finish the season with more than 4 wins. I wonder when was the last time that happened?

If Truex, KyBu, Harvick, Keselowski, or Johnson don't win on Sunday, nobody will finish the season with more than 4 wins. I wonder when was the last time that happened?
I quit looking back further than the past 20 years. It's been a long, long time if it's ever happened.

I'm pretty excited to see this Championship race...Jimmie Johnson could become Mr 7...or Kyle Busch could repeat and win two in a row...or we could have a first time Champion with Joey Logano or Carl Edwards. Plus, it will also be exciting to see if Alex Bowman can get his first Cup win in the #88 car.

I will say I hate this chase format but do love this winner of the top 4. That is exciting, I just wish we could go back to regular points determining the chase before then eliminating everyone except 4

That's because now we have The Chase For The Championship, with its added emphasis on winning races over just racing for points! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hate the Chase Grid as bad if the regular season point leader was given 6 extra bonus points (maybe a 1st round bye in Cup) & pit stall selection.

Looks like they’re waiting to be called into the conference room for a job interview.

Brian France news conference Sunday 11.00 - 11.30 am. According to Jeff Gluck, his first press conference since January.

Now that's a real leader right there
He's wanting to congratulate himself on coming up with such a ''great'' racing season........ and how the idea of the Chase was his own and how it has ''grown'' Nascar to the point of taking out 200,000 seats at the numerous tracks over the last several years to make sure that everyone was real comfy knowing everyone was grouped together.....

While Fort Worth doesn't get to be Fort Worth Texas Speedway, and we dont has The Concord Charlotte Speedway, The Hampton Atlanta Speedway, or the Avondale Phoenix speedway....

We do get a Miami Homestead speedway. It just ain't right and I am afraid we are all complicit for saying nothing, and letting places like Fort Worth, Concord, and Avondale get ****ted out of their naming rights. One day they will take it away from our townships and villages too, but it will be too late then. We already gave em our consent a long time ago.

NBC is going to be doing "Hotpass" coverage , NBCSN will have the Hotpass coverage dedicated to the four drivers .

NBCSN compliments NBC's live coverage of the 2016 NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship race from Homestead-Miami Speedway with Hot Pass Sunday November 20th at 2:30pm/et. While NBC provides the primary broadcast of Jimmie Johnson's quest for a historic seventh Championship and the last race of Tony Stewart's career, NBCSN offers simultaneous live coverage dedicated to each of the Championship 4 drivers.
Utilizing multi-window displays and in-car cameras, Hot Pass provides viewers an in-depth look at Johnson, Carl Edwards, Joey Logano and Kyle Busch as they battle for the 2016 title. On-air graphics highlight the point differentials and field changes between the four drives while a pane of race facts and figures give viewers up to the minute statistics. NBCSN's Hot Pass provides continuous in-car audio, highlighting team communication, punctuated with commentary from race announcer Leigh Diffey and NASCAR on NBC reporter Parker Kligerman.
"With NASCAR Hot Pass, you won't miss a move from the four Championship drivers," said Rich O'Connor, NBC Sports motorsports producer. "It provides fans with an inside look at the strategy, communication and pressure felt by the Championship Four drivers." Last year's dual coverage of the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship, on NBC and NBCSN, averaged 7.64 million viewers and posted a combined 4.42 national HH rating. It was the most-watched NASCAR season finale since NBC presented the championship event in 2005.(NBC Sports)(11-16-2016)

Joey looks like the kid around the Christmas Tree....lol.

Brian France news conference Sunday 11.00 - 11.30 am. According to Jeff Gluck, his first press conference since January.
The only thing I want to hear from him is the new Cup series sponsor. Anything else he has to say could only be 'detrimental to racing'.

Reactions: sdj
TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials

Set limits:

Sprint Cup: 5 sets for practice/qualifying and 12 sets for the race

Xfinity: 8 sets for the event

Camping World Truck: 6 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side -- D-4684 Right-side -- D-4686

Tire Circumference: Left-side -- 87.24 in. (2,216 mm) Right-side -- 88.35 in. (2,244 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 19 psi Left Rear -- 19 psi;
Right Front -- 49 psi Right Rear -- 45 psi

Notes: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same combination of left- and right-side tires at Homestead this weekend . . .

... this is the first time these teams have run this tire set-up at Homestead, though they have run it at both Texas and Chicagoland this season . . . similar to what was run at Homestead last year, this right-side tire code (D-4686) employs Goodyear's multi-zone tread technology, which combines two distinct tread compounds on the same tire -- the outboard 10 inches of the tread (Traction Zone) features a compound that is designed for grip, while the inboard two inches of the tread (Endurance Zone) is toughened to enhance durability on the part of the tire sees the most heat and takes the most abuse . . .

... different from Homestead 2015, this right-side tire features a construction change, and a compound change on the outboard 10 inches to give the cars and trucks more grip . . . compared to Homestead last year, this left-side tire code (D-4684) features an updated construction and mold shape, as well as a compound change for more grip . . .

... this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Homestead last December 14 . . . drivers participating in that test were Kevin Harvick, Chase Elliott, Brian Scott and Martin Truex Jr. . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Homestead . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

Source ... Jayski

TIRE CODES

Tire: Goodyear Eagle Speedway Radials

Set limits:

Sprint Cup: 5 sets for practice/qualifying and 12 sets for the race

Xfinity: 8 sets for the event

Camping World Truck: 6 sets for the event

Tire Codes: Left-side -- D-4684 Right-side -- D-4686

Tire Circumference: Left-side -- 87.24 in. (2,216 mm) Right-side -- 88.35 in. (2,244 mm)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front -- 19 psi Left Rear -- 19 psi;
Right Front -- 49 psi Right Rear -- 45 psi

Notes: Teams in all three NASCAR series will run the same combination of left- and right-side tires at Homestead this weekend . . .

... this is the first time these teams have run this tire set-up at Homestead, though they have run it at both Texas and Chicagoland this season . . . similar to what was run at Homestead last year, this right-side tire code (D-4686) employs Goodyear's multi-zone tread technology, which combines two distinct tread compounds on the same tire -- the outboard 10 inches of the tread (Traction Zone) features a compound that is designed for grip, while the inboard two inches of the tread (Endurance Zone) is toughened to enhance durability on the part of the tire sees the most heat and takes the most abuse . . .

... different from Homestead 2015, this right-side tire features a construction change, and a compound change on the outboard 10 inches to give the cars and trucks more grip . . . compared to Homestead last year, this left-side tire code (D-4684) features an updated construction and mold shape, as well as a compound change for more grip . . .

... this tire set-up came out of a Goodyear test at Homestead last December 14 . . . drivers participating in that test were Kevin Harvick, Chase Elliott, Brian Scott and Martin Truex Jr. . . . as on all NASCAR ovals greater than one mile in length, teams are required to run inner liners in all four tire positions at Homestead . . . air pressure in those inner liners should be 12-25 psi greater than that of the outer tire.

Source ... Jayski
I hate to keep reading that there will be more grip. That is something that does not lead to better racing. Surely they've figured this out by now.
scratchhead.gif

Agree, but the grip level works mechanically as well as aerodynamically.

If downforce is reduced, they need it. And they fall off more rapidly, so there's that.

The fact that they are running the same tires as Texas has me feeling very confident of my drivers chances heading into this weekend.

Just hope the rain holds off this time lol

Really liking the way Carl's ran on 1.5 milers lately. Was strong at Kansas lost the lead on the last restart, but still finished 2nd and then won Texas. He had a strong test at homestead and is a two time winner there. I'm hoping he can finally get a title.

Back
Top Bottom