2016 IndyCar stuff

He's not a bad driver, but he has not gotten any better.

Its sad because he's improved so much as a road racer and he's a very good oval racer. I think getting from under his dad's wing would be great for him. Try to get some funding behind him and move to Rahal with Graham, not only will beating rights be involved, but I'm certain judging by the article Graham wants a hand in feedback.

Getting away from Andretti might be the best thing. It's not just because of the name, but he has something in him. It's up to Marco to hit that next level though.

Carlin are inching closer towards an IndyCar program as Ed Jones took home the $1 million scholarship for winning the Indy Lights title. A current IndyCar team has also supposedly expressed interest in moving from Indy to the new Carlin compound in Delray Beach.

"I'm the sort of person that tries every possible way to achieve a goal," he said. "I've got probably four real strong leads into making it happen. They're all different ways of doing it. Maybe one of them will come off this time.

"The way the IndyCar market is going at the minute, I see there being more drivers than seats. So now is my time. Whether those drivers have got 4, 5, $6 million to do it, I don't know. I have spoken to [IndyCar competition president] Jay Frye recently, he's been very supportive in trying to help me with my path."

Carlin also expressed his need to win the Indy Lights championship before feeling qualified to add an IndyCar program to his roster of series and offerings for the team's customers. With that item crossed off the list, he's also looking to add some options below Indy Lights. In time, Carlin Racing could have a direct path from USF2000 to IndyCar.

"There are so many people that want to do IndyCar right now," he said. "It's ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. They've got more faith in us than I have, because I'm conservative and worried about what we do. We are always working hard and will keep pushing.

"To do all that, I want to work to bring more guys into the team, I want to promote some of my current guys, so I need to start expanding the business. That is the priority. Because if drivers want to do USF2000 or Pro Mazda in a year's time, I will have a complete ladder to the top. We've a lot to do in the months that follow."
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134220-indycar-carlin-edging-closer-to-race-program

Chip Ganassi Racing are aiming to sign Max Chilton to a multi-year extension, and Andretti-Herta Autosport are still working on retaining Alexander Rossi: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134235-ganassi-wants-multi-year-chilton-deal

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports are also looking at the possibility of expanding to three cars, with the support of Arrow: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134243-indycar-schmidt-working-on-third-car-for-2017

Max may have found a home here. He's really improved as the season has progressed and I was honestly surprised by his pace. So He's coming to grips and not to mention his nice funding.

A development freeze on the current aero kits through the end of the 2017 season has been confirmed, as well as a universal aero kit that will be introduced in 2018: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134249-indycar-aero-kit-freeze-confirmed-new-kit-for-18

Moving towards a standard aero kit should, in theory, make it easier for potential new OEMs to enter the series. Bodywork should also be simplified with an emphasis on moving topside downforce to the underfloor. Areas such as the overhead airbox and rear bumper pods may also be removed.

Simon Pagenaud ‏@simonpagenaud
More good news guys! Excited to keep working w/ @Menards for 10 #IndyCar races in 2017 at @Team_Penske

Cski__hVMAE30ED.jpg

The first domino is set to fall as Newgarden to Penske looks to become a reality: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134569-indycar-newgarden-to-wave-the-flag-at-penske

What made sense all along is going to become a reality. RACER can report that Josef Newgarden will be joining Team Penske in 2017.

The 25-year-old native of Tennessee has found a home in Davidson, N.C. – not far from Team Penske's headquarters in Mooresville – and a source inside Roger Penske's operation confirmed to RACER on Tuesday that Newgarden would be replacing Juan Montoya to join Simon Pagenaud, Will Power and Helio Castroneves on the most successful team in IndyCar history.

"It's Newgarden, not Rossi," said the person who requested anonymity, referring to the Sunday rumor that Alexander Rossi was suddenly in the picture to replace JPM. (see Marshall Pruett's story today on Rossi's plans). "I can't say for sure he's signed yet but I know he's the guy."

Also says that Ed Carpenter has already contacted JPM about filling the #21 opening.

Alexander Rossi and Andretti-Herta Autosport are close to confirming a three-year extension: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134567-indycar-rossi-nears-3-year-andretti-extension

Also, re: Munoz's situation -

The talented Colombian has relied on family-related business support to fund his No. 26 Honda, and with that funding apparently coming to an end after last weekend's season finale, Andretti would need to acquire something in the $5-6 million range to continue with Munoz.

If that funding does not materialize, reducing to three full-time cars, or seeking a new funded driver to take over the No. 26 would be an option.

I really hope they find someone to make it work, Carlos is a solid talent.

I hope to see Carlos back. If nothing else let him run like all of the Indy 500's. He's been knocking on the door every time he raced there....

I hope to see Carlos back. If nothing else let him run like all of the Indy 500's. He's been knocking on the door every time he raced there....

KVSH needs a driver, but he probably needs a sponsor walking through the door. I have no idea if Hydroxycut is following Bourdais or what, but Carlos needs to have a seat. He's been awesome.

What makes it worse is that Kimball has an extension to '17. I would really like to see one car teams expand...

Major changes on the way for KVSH Racing. A lot of different directions this organization can take this offseason...http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/134596-indycar-changes-ahead-for-kvsh

If Carlin is involved, Chilton will be in one seat and I suspect Ed Jones will be in the other. Could be huge for IndyCar, but Chilton's dad has a hand in Carlin and Gallagher. So this could be a big move in terms of opening up opportunities for more international appeal for IndyCar. Maybe an all-British lineup of Chilton and Jones or even a Jack Hawksworth.

If Carlin is involved, Chilton will be in one seat and I suspect Ed Jones will be in the other. Could be huge for IndyCar, but Chilton's dad has a hand in Carlin and Gallagher. So this could be a big move in terms of opening up opportunities for more international appeal for IndyCar. Maybe an all-British lineup of Chilton and Jones or even a Jack Hawksworth.
Chilton makes a ton of sense and Jones will be in IndyCar in some capacity thanks to his scholarship and I have to imagine it'll be with Carlin still. That's a decent amount of funding Kalkhoven won't have to bring back to the table and a great way for Carlin to enter the series full-time. What I'm curious about is where the Leaders Circle payout goes if Kalkhoven splits from Vasser and Sullivan. I would guess K since he actually owns most of the assets, but who knows. It sounds like it could get ugly. And what happens to Hydroxycut? A lot of pieces to this puzzle, that's for sure.

MSa wrote Carlin could also merge with AJ Foyt Enterprises, fielding 2 cars for Jones and Sato or Chilton.
Hawksworth should be out of it. You have normally not deserved a ****pit when you don't reach the Top 10 even once in 16 races in nearly identical racecars.

If Munoz doesn't get a ****pit in 2017, that would be a huge loss for the IndyCar Series. He is the only IndyCar driver that I was able to see live, when he was racing in the Formula 3 Euro Series in Oschersleben in 2010.
His Performances at the Indy500 in 2013 and this year, when he was very close to win were really impressive.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12
.@IndyCar averaged 1.278 million viewers in '16, up 10% YOY, best since '11. Number was less than half that — 488K — for @NBCSN's portion.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12
After averaging 953K viewers in '13, @IndyCar wanted to grow viewership by 50% over next three seasons. Came up a bit short w/ a 34% jump.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12
Mark Miles told @SBJSBD that Hulman & Co., which owns @IndyCar, @IMS, @IMSProductions and others, is on track to be profitable this year.

Adam Stern ‏@A_S12
Asked if the Hulman-George family is looking at a possibility of a sale any differently given UFC/F1 deals, Miles responded: “They’re not."

MSa wrote Carlin could also merge with AJ Foyt Enterprises, fielding 2 cars for Jones and Sato or Chilton.
Hawksworth should be out of it. You have normally not deserved a ****pit when you don't reach the Top 10 even once in 16 races in nearly identical racecars.

If Munoz doesn't get a ****pit in 2017, that would be a huge loss for the IndyCar Series. He is the only IndyCar driver that I was able to see live, when he was racing in the Formula 3 Euro Series in Oschersleben in 2010.
His Performances at the Indy500 in 2013 and this year, when he was very close to win were really impressive.

If they could merge and get a four car team, that would be awesome. Foyt needs a lift in terms of funding considering ABC Supply was there only sponsor, but I think Hawksworth is a very good driver and should be a canididate for the KVSH seat possibly. I would really like to see Munoz because that guy can drive the ****** wheels off. He's awesome and I hope Andretti can find some money for him.

Newgarden should be scary good in Penske equipment. Looking forward to it.

If they could merge and get a four car team, that would be awesome. Foyt needs a lift in terms of funding considering ABC Supply was there only sponsor, but I think Hawksworth is a very good driver and should be a canididate for the KVSH seat possibly. I would really like to see Munoz because that guy can drive the ******* wheels off. He's awesome and I hope Andretti can find some money for him.
I think Hawksworth is done, at least for next season.

Kalkhoven talked with Munoz and Foyt might be another opportunity for him as well. Daly and Matt Brabham have talked with Foyt as well.

CGR switches from Chevy and realigns with HPD for the 2017 season: http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/ganassi-switches-to-honda-power-for-2017-835897/

Does+not+compute+am+i+the+only+one+having+trouble_bb96fc_4292074.gif

Honda got their wish to be more competitive. Now we have things like how they are supposed to be, Penske representing Chevy and Ganassi representing Honda.

Hallelujah!

The next question is, who is out? Coyne or Foyt? I think Foyt will push the button to replace Sato, I think it would be great and as much as I love Sato, its time for him to either get another seat or go into sports cars or something.

Foyt flips to Chevy in 2017: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/135456-indycar-aj-foyt-racing-will-switch-to-chevy

Definitely seems like they'll have an entirely all-new driver pairing next year. And honestly, they could use a fresh lineup. Hawk just wasn't good after leaving Herta and everyone knows Taku's deal. I wouldn't expect his tendencies to suddenly change at this point.

Guarantee Sato will still be in the field. Coyne in the second car or in the fourth Andretti car because of the free engines Honda gives because of Sato.

Foyt is an interesting choice, they could stick with two cars or go back to one car. Interestingly enough, Montoya could be the first driver and then pickup a Daly/Munoz/Karam. Or Montoya switches to sports cars and we get another youthful team.

This just leaves the question of KVSH still existing or will Carlin come into the IndyCar ranks?

Guarantee Sato will still be in the field. Coyne in the second car or in the fourth Andretti car because of the free engines Honda gives because of Sato.

Foyt is an interesting choice, they could stick with two cars or go back to one car. Interestingly enough, Montoya could be the first driver and then pickup a Daly/Munoz/Karam. Or Montoya switches to sports cars and we get another youthful team.

This just leaves the question of KVSH still existing or will Carlin come into the IndyCar ranks?
A Montoya/Munoz team would be strong.

Oh yeah, for sure. Sato will be worth it for someone on the HPD side of the paddock.

A lot of this hinges upon whatever JPM does. I'm sure he's the #1 option for the teams he's talked to - ECR, Foyt, KV, CGR. Once that domino falls things should start to clear up.

Regardless, I think Foyt will be a team to watch next year.

Back
Top Bottom