2016 Michigan - Pure Michigan 400 - Pre Race Thread

1901FordBKezCqziKLTUIAE_uJf.jpg

I've heard various people say that, but I have not heard a cogent reason why. What is it you dislike about the current qualifying format?

I like the knock-out format because it is more interesting to watch, even exciting at times, and is much more fair to all. Used to be that the number you draw will often give a big advantage or disadvantage. That no longer applies.
I like that drivers get a second chance. From a fantasy perspective, I like that multiple laps give a better sense of how the car performs than a single two-lap run.

It's a glorified practice, that's one thing I hate about it. What's more interesting, Kyle Busch missing on a qualifying setup and having to race from mid-pack, or giving one of the top teams in the sport multiple chances to get it right and qualify up front...along with all of the other top teams.

There is no pressure with this format at all. Nail your setup and turn a fast lap instead of being allowed to tweak and tune the car until you run out of chances. Not to mention the way they all sit there on pit road and then rush to get their lap in, which creates chaos and screws up other people like Carl and Jimmie yesterday - how many times have we seen that? It's ridiculous.

I also find it curious that the most die-hard race fans (us) need something to stimulate their brains when watching qualifying. It's qualifying, leave the rest for race day.

Just leave him in the 88. Junior needs to be done racing and he is great for the PR department.

Jr said he's not ready to retire. If anything he will come back at Richmond or just wait until next season, it's up to him at the end of the day because Rick is behind him 100% with either decision.

HMS is going to wait until Jr and the doctors decide what's best.

I've heard various people say that, but I have not heard a cogent reason why. What is it you dislike about the current qualifying format?

I like the knock-out format because it is more interesting to watch, even exciting at times, and is much more fair to all. Used to be that the number you draw will often give a big advantage or disadvantage. That no longer applies.

I dislike it because I am a manufacturer based guy. I want to see the fastest piece on Fridays (operating on the assumption that the driver gets the most out of the car which I believe they tend to). This new format is more of a driver based competition, and tires enter the equation. All things equal, I want to see who brought the fastest car. Let the rest of the weekend sort out as it may.

I’ll watch this thing if I’m not busy. The one at a time format I seldom watched, even if I wasn’t busy.

The squad is looking freaking good right now. Happy hour was awesome.

Chase looks extremely racy this weekend. Hopefully the rain doesn't screw up what they worked on today.

Love hanging out in the pits, BSing with other fans, watching them go around one at a time. I know it sounds stupid, but it was cool.

I wouldn't call it stupid as if it is something you enjoy and you are operating with discretionary time then it is time well spent. Now for me hanging out in the pits talking to people and watching cars go around one at a time would be completely stupid as I would be so bored I would either be pacing like a caged lion or getting myself into trouble.

Best time to start rolling with the playoffs in sight.

Argh!!!!! Please don't say playoffs with respect to Nascar as it makes me want to go all William Foster.....:mad:

It does. I believe that 100%. Good work for Chevy. The Manufacturer's Championship is going to be fun to watch. Toyota up 30 pts., but this is a shot over the bow.

I had forgotten about the manuf champ as I had not heard anything about it for a few years and it makes sense as more people seem to be driver fans instead of manuf fans.

Hope we get a JGR win tomorrow. We need it bad. :)

I always like to see Carl or Matt win and with Denny I am neutral but I think Marty is an under performing diva and the other guy is things I won't mention. Hopefully those 2 will get a full load of Sunoco Diesel at some point.

It's a glorified practice, that's one thing I hate about it. What's more interesting, Kyle Busch missing on a qualifying setup and having to race from mid-pack, or giving one of the top teams in the sport multiple chances to get it right and qualify up front...along with all of the other top teams.

There is no pressure with this format at all. Nail your setup and turn a fast lap instead of being allowed to tweak and tune the car until you run out of chances. Not to mention the way they all sit there on pit road and then rush to get their lap in, which creates chaos and screws up other people like Carl and Jimmie yesterday - how many times have we seen that? It's ridiculous.

I also find it curious that the most die-hard race fans (us) need something to stimulate their brains when watching qualifying. It's qualifying, leave the rest for race day.
Definitely feels like a glorified practice. Last time I watched it (a long time ago) TV bounced from car to car and rarely stayed on someone for an entire lap. Was much more captivating when the spotlight was on one man and one machine for a lap or two at a time and with the tracker you could tell where everyone would gain or lose ground. And whenever someone grabbed the top spot they'd have to sit it out and watch everyone give their best shot to take them down. I thought they had a great system a few years ago when they'd send everyone out in reverse order of practice speeds. Oh well. Saves me an hour or more of time now.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...-junior-bumps-carl-for-win.5101626938001.html

Edwards the hot head....man he looked young. and JR...loved seeing him win like his dad. For me, thats I what I want out of Patrick....Bump someone like hamlin for the win .....

I don't blame Carl for being upset but it was thoughtless for him to come back on track however I am glad he grew up and I like him just fine. As far as DP goes she doesn't mind retaliating or getting mad if she feels she is wronged but when she is racing under green she is very conservative, IMO.

Definitely feels like a glorified practice. Last time I watched it (a long time ago) TV bounced from car to car and rarely stayed on someone for an entire lap. Was much more captivating when the spotlight was on one man and one machine for a lap or two at a time and with the tracker you could tell where everyone would gain or lose ground. And whenever someone grabbed the top spot they'd have to sit it out and watch everyone give their best shot to take them down. I thought they had a great system a few years ago when they'd send everyone out in reverse order of practice speeds. Oh well. Saves me an hour or more of time now.

I really liked to when they had a first and second round in qualifying where you could stand on your time or try again the next day. IDK how the current qualifying works nor do I care as once I read the fastest car may not get the pole I tuned out.

I really liked to when they had a first and second round in qualifying where you could stand on your time or try again the next day. IDK how the current qualifying works nor do I care as once I read the fastest car may not get the pole I tuned out.
That still didn't prove who had the fastest car. The fastest could have been in the 2nd round and still started mid-pack.

That still didn't prove who had the fastest car. The fastest could have been in the 2nd round and still started mid-pack.

I still liked the format though. IMO, the fairest way of doing things would be to draw teams out of a hat and have them qualify based upon that. Some weeks you may get an advantageous draw and some weeks you may not.

I don't blame Carl for being upset but it was thoughtless for him to come back on track however I am glad he grew up and I like him just fine. As far as DP goes she doesn't mind retaliating or getting mad if she feels she is wronged but when she is racing under green she is very conservative, IMO.

She totally is TOO conservative. She needs to lose that! JG said it, I said it...conservative is good to bring your car home, but it does not win a lot of races. I think this year she is trying to attach more, but Id like to see it increase as well

She totally is TOO conservative. She needs to lose that! JG said it, I said it...conservative is good to bring your car home, but it does not win a lot of races. I think this year she is trying to attach more, but Id like to see it increase as well

She is very patient and methodical and that has its benefits as 9 times out of 10 she brings the car home in one piece but it would be fun to see her do a Tasmanian Devil sometime too.

when I think about the past I can think of absolutely nothing positive about Sunday's race

when I think about the past I can think of absolutely nothing positive about Sunday's race

There is plenty to criticize Nascar for but I can assure you that there have been some very good races at MIS over the years and I have been fortunate enough to see many in person. How long have you followed cup for as that may account for your belief?

Back
Top Bottom