2016 Michigan - Pure Michigan 400 - Pre Race Thread

Hope we get a JGR win tomorrow. We need it bad. :)

I like it that Matt said that JGR had made progress since the last running of this package. Good stuff. How they will race is anybody's guess. As always, fun as hell to watch. Damn, this is the greatest sport.

Note: All times are ET
SUNDAY, AUG. 28:

PRE-RACE SCHEDULE
— 12:00:00 p.m.: NSCS Driver/Crew Chief Meeting (Michigan Room)
— 1:30:00 p.m.: NSCS Drivers Introductions w/ NASCAR Special Awards
— 1:58:15 p.m.: Canadian Anthem by: MIS’ Own, Lisa Bascom
— 2:00:00 p.m.: Presentation of Colors: Michigan State Police
— 2:00:20 p.m.: Invocation by: Fr. Geoff Rose
— 2:01:00 p.m.: National Anthem by: US Army A Capella Chorus
— 2:02:05 p.m.: Flyover TOT by: (2) F-16s, 180th Fighter Wing, Ohio Air National Guard (Turn 4 to Turn 1)
— 2:07:00 p.m.: "Drivers, Start Your Engines" by Jeff Blashill, Detroit Red Wings Head Coach; Flyover TOT by: Breitling Jet Team (Turn 4 to Turn 1)
— 2:15:30 p.m.: Start of the Pure Michigan 400 (200 Laps, 400 Miles)

ON TRACK: MICHIGAN

-- 2 p.m.: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pure Michigan 400 (200 laps, 400 miles), NBCSN/NBC Sports App (Follow live)

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 5:30 p.m. approx.: Post-NSCS race

@bobpockrass

In 70s at Michigan. AccuWeather says temps 83-84 with less than 10% chance of rain. Green flag 2:15pm ET. NBCSN, MRN, SiriusXM

Cq8Wv_BW8AE9akb.jpg:large

I like it that Matt said that JGR had made progress since the last running of this package. Good stuff. How they will race is anybody's guess. As always, fun as hell to watch. Damn, this is the greatest sport.

Looks like it, since the 11 was so fast that he lost it.

I really liked to when they had a first and second round in qualifying where you could stand on your time or try again the next day. IDK how the current qualifying works nor do I care as once I read the fastest car may not get the pole I tuned out.
You really liked second round qualifying? In the few years it was still being run after I started watching, I recall it as an exercise in futility. Almost all of the attempts were futile, usually failing to make the field or improve more than a few positions. It was a waste of the smaller teams' money, having to pay for an extra night's hotel, dinner, and breakfast. (I feel the same way about having final practice on Saturday and qualifying on Sunday, but it isn't as bad since there are now rarely more 40 cars attempting.)

when I think about the past I can think of absolutely nothing positive about Sunday's race
You must have missed this year's first race at Michigan. But if it depresses you, I encourage you to skip it and watch the IMSA race, or baseball, or soccer, or the quarter-finals of the Nigerian AA-league cricket playoffs. Can't have you feeling suicidal.

Progress? I couldn't tell it from Q or Happy Hour.

You really liked second round qualifying? In the few years it was still being run after I started watching, I recall it as an exercise in futility. Almost all of the attempts were futile, usually failing to make the field or improve more than a few positions. It was a waste of the smaller teams' money, having to pay for an extra night's hotel, dinner, and breakfast. (I feel the same way about having final practice on Saturday and qualifying on Sunday, but it isn't as bad since there are now rarely more 40 cars attempting.)

Yep, I did like the 2 rounds of qualifying but I know I am in the minority. If I were in charge of qualifying I would do it by lottery where one lottery would be for starting position and the other would be for pit stall selection or I would just invert the field and have the slowest to the fastest line up. IMO that sort of thing would be in line with the Nascar of today and add more early race drama.

IDK how the current qualifying works nor do I care as once I read the fastest car may not get the pole I tuned out.
If the fastest lap comes in the first practice Friday morning, and no car can match that during the subsequent proceedings, should that lap be awarded the pole? Most would say No, the pole is won by being fastest at the right time. So that is what they do. How is that wrong?

If the fastest lap comes in the first practice Friday morning, and no car can match that during the subsequent proceedings, should that lap be awarded the pole? Most would say No, the pole is won by being fastest at the right time. So that is what they do. How is that wrong?

I thought having the cars qualify one by one with the fastest car of the process being awarded the pole seemed fair and the best way to go. As I said I have no idea of how they qualify these days other than I have head the term "rounds" used. It is not a hot button issue with me seeing I don't watch qualifying as often times I don't know the positions until the race begins.

Lousy invocation. Could you make it more blanched and commercial?
Anthem ... I give it a solid 8. I'm not a huge barber shop quartet fan, but it was well sung and no theatrics.

Lousy invocation. Could you make it more blanched and commercial?
Anthem ... I give it a solid 8. I'm not a huge barber shop quartet fan, but it was well sung and no theatrics.
That's because they live that anthem. Unlike others who come up there and destroy it because it doesn't mean much to them.

Back
Top Bottom