2017 IndyCar Stuff

IndyCar outlines cost-cutting moves for teams, highlighted by new body kit

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/IndyCar.aspx

IndyCar has provided its teams a blueprint for how it’s working to save them money, highlighted by a new body kit that will cut tens of thousands in annual costs.

As teams face a challenging sponsorship market and spiraling costs, motorsports series including IndyCar are examining and tweaking their business models. That was the motivation behind IndyCar’s “2018 Car Plans” team presentation, which was provided to SportsBusiness Journal.

IndyCar is rolling out a simplified body kit next season to cut costs and improve racing. The new kits, produced by Italian chassis manufacturer Dallara, will be used from 2018 to 2020, allowing teams to plan in a three-year increment where previously it was year to year. The previous aero kits that were sold to teams by Honda and Chevrolet starting in 2015 proved to be exorbitant, brittle and overly complex.

“I’ve never seen anything like this done, where we handed the teams a blueprint of, ‘Here’s what it’s going to cost, here’s who to call, here’s what to do,’” said Jay Frye, IndyCar’s president of competition and operations. “You can plan for three years out now; you know what it’s going to cost to convert it upfront.”

The presentation starts with a breakdown of the one-time costs that teams will incur to convert an entry’s primary and backup cars to the specifications for the new kit. For 2018, teams based in Indiana will receive two free body kits from Dallara, which received a grant as part of the state’s drive to support the motorsports industry. Each kit after that will cost $90,000. This compares to the old kit’s cost of between $125,000 and $165,000, meaning teams will now save $35,000 to $75,000 per kit under those estimates. And that doesn’t take into account investments on spare parts, updates for new parts or research and development testing.

“When you think of all the damage that the old kits took — those rear bumpers which didn’t do anything but fall off and cost the teams money, those are gone,” said Bobby Rahal, co-owner of Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. “So maybe the initial benefits [when buying the new kit] are around $50,000, but if you look at the lack of pieces on this kit compared to the old one, I think that’s where teams will really see the benefit.”

The switchover will cost teams money up front, as teams will pay approximately $38,000 per car, or $76,000 per entry, for a one-time conversion to the new kit. But through the cost savings realized with a simpler car, and through receiving two free kits, IndyCar estimates that teams will save about $216,000 per entry for 2018 from what it would have cost if it had kept the old kit.

Among other key reasons why savings could be more in the end are that under the new kit, there will be no annual parts updates from one year to the next. That’s something that previously cost teams $15,000 to $20,000 per car, IndyCar said.

“There’s no updates now, so you can run the same car for three years,” Frye said. “You think about testing, simulation — you’re going to be able to use the same stuff, whereas before you had to start over because of updates and things.”

I am embarrassed to say I never heard of that guy, is he good?? Maybe he brought some $$$$
He won British F3 last year, which is a good achievement, and came in 4th in Indy Lights this year. I think he needed another year in Lights, but it sounds like he has some backing from Brazilian TV networks who are looking to help fill the hole Helio (and soon, TK) left behind.

I'm not sure I understand the number switch between Marco & Rossi?

We know Marco is pretty good, but the results aren't there, are they?

Some guys don't do well working with their dad. They have tried just about everything but separating the two, and Marco has been in a slump for so long they have to do something. Herta is known for his mentoring abilities, and Marco certainly needs some help. Marco has been in the best cars for 11 years or so, and only has two wins to show for it.

This move makes a lot of sense because it also frees Mikey up to concentrate on Rossi's car and win some races.

Anyone know if Daly has anything going for next year?

Is he in the running for the ECR ride? Maybe going back to Coyne would be a possibility for him?

It sucks for Daly and Munoz because of Foyt's ****** ineptitude to use ONE freaking shop and not divide everything. Move to Texas or move the operation entirely to Indiana, even with Kaanan at the helm the pieces have to be in place or ABC will lose patience.

Is he in the running for the ECR ride? Maybe going back to Coyne would be a possibility for him?

Coyne is probably going to require some money, and I am not sure Daly has any.

It sucks for Daly and Munoz because of Foyt's ******* ineptitude to use ONE freaking shop and not divide everything.

That didn't make any sense to me either. From a logistics standpoint, that's got to be like running two separate teams. Just managing the spare parts would be a headache. I'de also imagine with Texas being so huge and remote that they do double the road miles of the other teams.

Move to Texas or move the operation entirely to Indiana,

It makes sense to have all the stuff in one place, and only a block or two from Dallara.

We know Marco is pretty good, but the results aren't there, are they?

Some guys don't do well working with their dad. They have tried just about everything but separating the two, and Marco has been in a slump for so long they have to do something. Herta is known for his mentoring abilities, and Marco certainly needs some help. Marco has been in the best cars for 11 years or so, and only has two wins to show for it.

This move makes a lot of sense because it also frees Mikey up to concentrate on Rossi's car and win some races.

I am new to Indycar, I just started following closely this past season. I was under the impression that the 98 was run under the same roof as the 26, 27, & 28. Is that not correct?

I am new to Indycar, I just started following closely this past season. I was under the impression that the 98 was run under the same roof as the 26, 27, & 28. Is that not correct?

Same roof, yes, but Mikey was in charge of Marco's car, and now Herta will be.

They had to do something. Marco was lost all year. For the past few years, Marco has had the worst record of all the Andretti cars. All I can guess is that the father/son chemistry was all wrong for results.

Same roof, yes, but Mikey was in charge of Marco's car, and now Herta will be.

They had to do something. Marco was lost all year. For the past few years, Marco has had the worst record of all the Andretti cars. All I can guess is that the father/son chemistry was all wrong for results.

I think the field has just gotten more competitive and Marco looked lost. He was one of the most consistent drivers in the field. I was expecting for him to come to life after seeing Rahal's turn in the past couple of years.

IndyCar needs Marco to do better.

I'm not sure I understand the number switch between Marco & Rossi?
I think the biggest difference is Bryan Herta moving back to the car that he has a financial stake in (#98). He moved away from his own team onto Marco's timing stand for 2017. Sounds like the engineering teams for each driver will move along with them.

I think the field has just gotten more competitive and Marco looked lost. He was one of the most consistent drivers in the field.

Yeah, but he was consistently lost. He was 12th out of 22 or so full time cars and last driver on his own team. If he were any other driver, he would have been gone years ago.

Look, I'm not badmouthing the guy, but I can't remember any other driver who stayed in the series for a decade off the strength of just two wins.

I was expecting for him to come to life after seeing Rahal's turn in the past couple of years.

Rahal seems to have benefitted from Bobby stepping away from the operation, so let's hope all Marco needs is to get away from Dad. That's also not a badmouth on Dad. Clearly the winning chemistry doesn't exist between those two, but it might with Marco and Herta.

IndyCar needs Marco to do better.

Absolutely agree, and that's why I hope this latest move will make that happen. I'm a bit of a Marco fan, so it's hard not to be disappointed with his results.

It sucks for Daly and Munoz because of Foyt's ******* ineptitude to use ONE freaking shop and not divide everything. Move to Texas or move the operation entirely to Indiana, even with Kaanan at the helm the pieces have to be in place or ABC will lose patience.
ECR's road course/street circuit seat and the second DCR seat are probably the only options at this point. I had heard he was working on putting some budget together a while back.

Might be an outside shot at Harding or Juncos. A really small shot.

Yeah, but he was consistently lost. He was 12th out of 22 or so full time cars and last driver on his own team. If he were any other driver, he would have been gone years ago.

Look, I'm not badmouthing the guy, but I can't remember any other driver who stayed in the series for a decade off the strength of just two wins.

Rahal seems to have benefitted from Bobby stepping away from the operation, so let's hope all Marco needs is to get away from Dad. That's also not a badmouth on Dad. Clearly the winning chemistry doesn't exist between those two, but it might with Marco and Herta.

Absolutely agree, and that's why I hope this latest move will make that happen. I'm a bit of a Marco fan, so it's hard not to be disappointed with his results.

Oh no, trust me I know you're not bad mouthing the guy. You're just giving an honest assessment about Marco, nothing wrong with that. Also, he's just looked out of it for some reason. Maybe, this will be the needed push to rekindle that fire in his belly.

About Daly, he looked good the last quarter of the year. It just sucks that Foyt's son sucks at running a team. I would have kept both Munoz and Daly for some needed cohesion. Also, that was one of the best moves the team made last year in signing them both. I have no issue with Leist or Kaanan, but the upside was ridiculous with those two and we saw the progress being made in their street and oval programs near the latter part of the season.

Oh no, trust me I know you're not bad mouthing the guy. You're just giving an honest assessment about Marco, nothing wrong with that. Also, he's just looked out of it for some reason.

Well, think about it. Am I the only one who thinks two wins in Indycar is not a lot for an Andretti? Every year we think he's going to catch on fire, and every year he ends up mid pack at best. After 10 years of that its not unreasonable to be a little disappointed.

The thing I really like about Marco is that he is always absolutely correct when he is wheel to wheel with other cars. He will fight hard, but he is always safe and he is always fair. That's why I like the guy. He could have blocked the hell out of Hornish at Indy in 06, but instead he held his line, raced fairly, and lost the Indianapolis 500. Later someone asked him why he didn't block and he said he would rather never win it at all than win it that way. That's why I want to see Marco start kicking some ass and winning some races.

Maybe, this will be the needed push to rekindle that fire in his belly.

I don't know if that is the problem. He seems genuinely frustrated, so it's got to be something else. If you don't have the fire, you are stupid to keep racing because the money alone doesn't justify the risk. It has to be because you want it. Marco seems like he wants it, so it's got to be something else. The only thing that makes sense is that he needs to get away from Dad and be his own man.

About Daly, he looked good the last quarter of the year.

I thought when he smoked off Munoz at Texas last year that would cement him in the ride and probably doom Munoz. That race was right around contract time and it was the right time for Daly to show he can race on ovals. It was certainly the wrong time for Munoz to run poorly. Now they are both gone. I don't even have a clue who Foyt's second driver is. Where they hell does he find these guys?

It just sucks that Foyt's son sucks at running a team.

It wasn't much better when AJ was running things. Apple, tree, and all that.

I would have kept both Munoz and Daly for some needed cohesion.

When Kaanan became available, one of those guys was going to get the hook. They can't even run two cars well so a third would have been an even bigger disaster.

Also, that was one of the best moves the team made last year in signing them both.

It was quite inspired. They could help each other because one is a road race ace and the other was an oval demon. They were also young enough to build a program around, a franchise like Ganassi built with Dixon and Franchitti. Foyt just didn't stick to the plan long enough for the guys to mature into it. He probably had the answer in his hands and then he dropped it when he saw Kaanan was available.

I have no issue with Leist or Kaanan,

I remember one of Foyt's problems with cart was that all the Brazilian ride buyers were taking up all the good rides. Now he has a whole team of them.

........... but the upside was ridiculous with those two and we saw the progress being made in their street and oval programs near the latter part of the season.

Daly was on fire at Texas, but Munoz looked like he was hanging on for his life. I figured that one race was enough to keep Daly at Foyt, but instead we get, wait for it, another Brazilian ride buyer.

Pure hype right now!

Chilton and Kimball tho... Meh, its okay I think they will fare well. Best of luck and we hope to see Carlin around for a long time!

Yes, we would have been down two cars if Carlin had not stepped up. Both drivers have an extensive history with Carlin, so I expect they will ne fast out of the box.

I really like Chilton. I see a lot of Dan Wheldon in that guy, from his appearance to the way he took charge of the Indianapolis 500 last year. To a certain extent, he even talks like Wheldon. It's almost like watching his little brother. I'de like to see him do well.

Now, as far as Charlie, definitely meh. Seems like a sweetheart of a guy, but everyone hates to race Charlie. He does not have the skill to race as hard and as close as he does and he trashes a lot of other people's races. OK, I may not e the best judge of driver sjill, but it is undeniable that no one wrecks as many drivers as consistently as Charlie does.

Might as well stick a fork in Daly then, I was hoping he would be the part-timer to join ECR.

Man that really sucks, to see him go from a promising couple of seasons, then get tossed out with Munoz? Money talks, I guess.
I think he still has a chance at DCR, being a former driver there helps, but I'm not sure it's a great chance. I think Claman Demelo is in contention for that seat and he'd bring money.

Back
Top Bottom