2017 IndyCar Stuff

Hartley was a Mercedes F1 reserve driver right? I'm pretty sure he was. Is Rosenqvist that good haven't seen him race ever
I think he may have been, briefly. I know he was the reserve for Red Bull and Toro Rosso; he's still a Red Bull athlete too.

Rosenqvit is really good. The CGR engineers love him whenever he tests with them. He did well in Euro F3, won the title once and beat guys like Wehrlein (as a teammate too), Sainz, and Stroll (also as teammates) while he was there. And he came in 3rd in Formula E this past season.

Interesting...

Castroneves’ IndyCar future still undecided despite sportscar rumors
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/castroneves-indycar-departure-not-a-done-deal-952591/

Several trusted sources, one a longstanding and senior Penske member, have informed Motorsport.com that the team’s engineers and crew chiefs have been told it will continue as a four-car IndyCar squad in 2018.

Chevrolet is also believed to be eager for Roger Penske to not downsize his team. All nine of Chevy’s wins in IndyCar this season have come from Penske drivers, and with Andretti Autosport electing to stick with Honda after a summer of talks between Michael Andretti and Chevy, senior GM personnel are understood to be even more keen to retain Penske’s four proven race-winners and title contenders. Chevrolet has scored 66 wins in the last 100 races, and 37 of those have been delivered by Penske.

Although not answering a question specifically about the Penske/Castroneves situation, GM's VP of performance vehicles and motorsports, Jim Campbell, told Motorsport.com two weeks ago: “Ultimately it’s the team owner’s decision who they employ, but at a broad level, across all the series, we work very closely with team owners on their selection of drivers.”

One rival team owner, who didn’t wish to be named, remarked: “For one thing, I personally never saw any evidence for the rumors that Roger was going to cut back to three cars. And if he’s going to stay at four, why wouldn’t he keep Helio? He’s great for the sponsors, really popular with the fans, and I think he’s probably driving better now than at any time in his career.

“He’s the obvious choice, and let’s face it, those four cars are all getting strong results, so why would you change the lineup when it's working so well?”

Hartley was a Mercedes F1 reserve driver right? I'm pretty sure he was. Is Rosenqvist that good haven't seen him race ever

Harley was orginally a Red Bull driver, but he was dropped after JEV got the nod after the '11 season for STR. Always been a fast driver, but he went through a winless drought and then he was dropped from the program.

Rosenqvist has always been overlooked because he was in F3 for four years, but he never had the funding to really push past it until he got his shot in FE. He was all over the place in GT3, DTM, etc. He was fast in everything and then he won three times in Indy Lights. Money was his only issue, he's never been short of talent.

I hate that it didn't work out for JR,

I don't believe there has been any announcement FR is out. maybe they just haven't finalized his deal yet.

........... but it's Spencer's time. He's put on a show in the races he's been in.

Thanks to Ed Carpenter Racing for continuing to ring us good young American prospects. I'm betting that eventually Pigot will end up at Penske too.

not surprising seeing as Chip lost Target, still jarring to see though. I wonder if Chip will still try to have another car or two for Indy? and hope he signs a good sponsor for Dixie (Camping World maybe?) http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/indycar-shocker-chip-ganassi-scaling-back-indycar-team
Not so much Target as it is Chip not wanting two pay drivers anymore. He's had a two-car operation more often than not and the #9 and #10 are his real bread and butter. The #8 and #83 may still have been in a different shop even.

As NASCAR keep slowly dying, this series will keep taking over.
Hope you're right, slowly but surely Indy Car is catching up. Hope they find a good replacement for Verizon

Hope you're right, slowly but surely Indy Car is catching up. Hope they find a good replacement for Verizon

Verizon is leaving?

I wonder why they cant keep title sponsors for more than a handful of years.

I think Verizon will stay involved in some capacity, whether it be as a Penske sponsor or as official telecom provider. I'm not sure it made much sense to sponsor the biggest, most successful team in the sport while sponsoring the series as well. Same deal with SHR/Monster/NASCAR.

Do I worry a little bit about the next title sponsor? Yeah. They need some stability at that level, and I have to think the NASCAR-Monster deal deflated the title sponsorship market. If Monster is paying $20m/year plus whatever they spend on activation, is the next IndyCar sponsor going to want to put up $10m/year like Verizon was?

I think Verizon will stay involved in some capacity, whether it be as a Penske sponsor or as official telecom provider. I'm not sure it made much sense to sponsor the biggest, most successful team in the sport while sponsoring the series as well. Same deal with SHR/Monster/NASCAR.

Do I worry a little bit about the next title sponsor? Yeah. They need some stability at that level, and I have to think the NASCAR-Monster deal deflated the title sponsorship market. If Monster is paying $20m/year plus whatever they spend on activation, is the next IndyCar sponsor going to want to put up $10m/year like Verizon was?

How much was Izod paying as the primary sponsor?

How much was Izod paying as the primary sponsor?
Quick search says $6m/year. I guess what would encourage me a little is that the series is in a better spot than when those IZOD and Verizon deals were agreed to in 2010 and 2014, but the Monster deal still has to hurt IMO.

Quick search says $6m/year. I guess what would encourage me a little is that the series is in a better spot than when those IZOD and Verizon deals were agreed to in 2010 and 2014, but the Monster deal still has to hurt IMO.

Yeah, the market is definitely not in the favor for IndyCar. I wonder if DHL, Napa, or even try to coax FedEx to jump as the go-to sponsor for the series. It would be cool to see a technology partner to jump on like a Samsung or if Arrow electronics stepping up to back the series.

Yea I believe I read on racer.com they are going to keep sponsoring the Penske cars, I'm worried about the next title sponsor too. With the right one I think they can catch up to NASCAR fairly quickly. They will need a sponsor to do for them what Winston did for NASCAR: a sponsor that provided enough stability for the series to build its brand and get its message out there

Yeah, the market is definitely not in the favor for IndyCar. I wonder if DHL, Napa, or even try to coax FedEx to jump as the go-to sponsor for the series. It would be cool to see a technology partner to jump on like a Samsung or if Arrow electronics stepping up to back the series.
Truck Series collapses, Camping World to IndyCar. lol

Heard a few days ago that a couple of owners had asked for Andre Lotterer's contact info, including Sam Schmidt.

As NASCAR keep slowly dying, this series (Indycar) will keep taking over.

Don't bet on it. Nascar is simply suffering a recession in ratings and attendance, but remember all American motorsports are down. For one thing the economy is still not that great and going to a race is expensive. Nascar fans are generally the same working people who have been so devastated by the last 25 years of shoddy economic policy. That's not going to heal overnight, but it's certainly getting better, and nascar fans are going to come back.

Indycar's 3% bump in ratings isn't a massive victory in that a 3% bump in pitiful ratings is still only 3% better than pitiful ratings. It's still good to have a bump, but if that's all they can manage every year, it's going to take the rest of our lives for Indycar to even show up on the same radar screen as nascar.

It's a bit early to celebrate Indycar knocking nascar off, especially since it's never going to happen. Indycar car rose to prominence on a nearly full field of American drivers, a ton of cigarette money, ESPN being desperate for programming, and record speeds that we will never see again. The cigarette money is gone, ESPN is gone (though NBCSN is doing a killer job) and we are again going to see the blinding record speeds we expected every week. Add to that there is no more innovation and all the cars are the same, Indycar is not even remotely he same sport as when it rose to prominence. That's why a lot of Indycar fans are never coming back.

Look, I do love Indycar, but only because the racing is good and I remain flexible enough not to care about the things that ruin it for other people, just like I love sportscar racing in spite of the fact it's not GTP. I'm betting that Indycar's 3% rating boost is almost entirely down to an American being in the championship fight almost from the very start of the season, and in this vein is nascar's key to resurgence.

Nascar is going to get an utterly massive bump from a completely unexpected source. While the NFL is self destructing by disrespecting our anthem, our flag, or country and our brother and sisters who died to defend all of those things, Nascar continues to embrace American exceptionalism and patriotism. Since Sundays are nothing but football and nascar, what's going to happen to all those American patriots who turn the NFL off, flipping channels and see 150,000 spectators, drivers, crew people and officials all standing hand on heart, some in tears while the anthem is played at a nascar race? Don't underestimate the impact that is going to have. Nascar has always been pro-American almost to the point of inducing nausea, but patriotism is on the rise, and in light of the NFL's disgusting temper tantrums, suddenly the in-your-face love of country seems much more acceptable. NFL fans who love their country will eventually be out of a sport, and here is plenty of room for them at the nascar tracks.

And, even as someone who only has a passing interest in nascar only during the playoffs, I can support all they are about and am going to watch a lot more of it.

Heard a few days ago that a couple of owners had asked for Andre Lotterer's contact info, including Sam Schmidt.

Didn't Lotterer test for Schmidt Sonoma last year? I seem to remember he did rather well, so that could give him a head start.

Pocono CEO Nick Igdalsky says this year's race was the best-attended since welcoming IndyCar back.

Pocono confirms IndyCar return for 2018
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144572-pocono-confirms-indycar-return-for-2018

IndyCar reveals test guidelines for 2018
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-reveals-test-guidelines-for-2018-958782/

2018 IndyCar will require a tire rethink on some tracks
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/...require-a-tire-rethink-on-some-tracks-957048/

Interesting claim by Motorsport here that Carlin and McLaren have held exploratory talks regarding an IndyCar program.

Carlin: “The right moment is approaching” to join IndyCar
https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/...moment-is-approaching-to-join-indycar-957387/

Palmer ready for "new chapter" outside F1 if Williams bid fails
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/palmer-new-chapter-focus-williams-indycar-wec-958474/

Didn't Lotterer test for Schmidt Sonoma last year? I seem to remember he did rather well, so that could give him a head start.
Sucks to hear that he's going to Formula E...I think it was just last year he said FE was more philosophy than sport.

I have seen a few good races in FE, but what seems to be a major hangup
for me is the noise. That high pitch whirring really grates on my nerves. I have usually
just fast forward the race on dvr. Its surely a group of talented drivers though.

Glad Indy is back at Pocono next year. That one is on the bkt list.

Calling Max the next star of IndyCar is a bit of a stretch (lol) but his thoughts are interesting.

Max Chilton on danger, driving and why IndyCar beats Formula 1
https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/article/max-chilton-danger-driving-indycar-beats-formula-1/

IndyCar 2018 bodywork delivery schedule set
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144711-indycar-2018-bodywork-delivery-schedule-set

IndyCar CEO Mark Miles 'bullish' on potential of new TV deal
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...iles-bullish-potential-new-tv-deal/725658001/

Its official, TK will be at AJ Foyt Enterprises for '18.

It sounds like TK will be the ONLY driver, so Munoz and Daly are out. Wow, I'm shocked and I guess @FLRacingFan was right about ABC Supply only wanting to sponsor one car.

Its official, TK will be at AJ Foyt Enterprises for '18.

It sounds like TK will be the ONLY driver, so Munoz and Daly are out. Wow, I'm shocked and I guess @FLRacingFan was right about ABC Supply only wanting to sponsor one car.
I'd see that as an aging front-runner versus two that make up the numbers. Roughly analogous to a one car team with Matt Kenseth versus two cars with Landon Cassill and David Ragan. To me, that is more fitting for a Mount Rushmore guy like SuperTex.

I'd see that as an aging front-runner versus two that make up the numbers. Roughly analogous to a one car team with Matt Kenseth versus two cars with Landon Cassill and David Ragan. To me, that is more fitting for a Mount Rushmore guy like SuperTex.

The audio was real bad, I think they said they are deciding on who they want in the 4 car.

That audio quality was horrid.

It is a multi-year deal, and AJ says TK probably has two or three more good years in him. Interesting. This is a good move -

The team has also hired technical director Eric Cowdin, who will also serve as the race engineer for Kanaan's car. Cowdin previously worked with Chip Ganassi Racing, KV Racing Technology, Team Penske and Andretti-Green Racing. Cowdin worked with Kanaan during Kanaan's Indy 500 victory, 2004 IndyCar title and 15 of his 17 victories.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/indycar...-multi-year-deal-aj-foyt-racing#ixzz4ugOmNqpX

but I still don't like this -

For the first time since 1966, the No. 14 car will be operated out of a location other than Texas, as it will move to Foyt’s Indianapolis race shop. The No. 4 car will now be based in the Waller, Texas, race shop.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/indycar...-multi-year-deal-aj-foyt-racing#ixzz4ugOzep4D

Gotta have everyone under one roof.

On the not-so-bright side...

Got to keep this race on the schedule and give it a fair shake. Last year it was scheduled on short notice and this year it was chilly. The Glen has a tight window of reasonable racing dates though so it could be tough to figure out.

On the not-so-bright side...

Got to keep this race on the schedule and give it a fair shake. Last year it was scheduled on short notice and this year it was chilly. The Glen has a tight window of reasonable racing dates though so it could be tough to figure out.

Ah I hope WG finds a way into the 2018 schedule, if not how about choosing one between Portland, Cleveland Burke Airport or Edmonton?

Back
Top Bottom