2017 Martinsville - STP 500 - Pre Race Thread

I'm guessing this is the scheme Ryan is driving at Martinsville.
IMG_0301.JPG
Austin didn't have a sponsor on the entry list but this scheme was posted on NASCAR.com
IMG_0300.JPG

I'm so ready to make the trip up there. I love Martinsville Speedway with all my heart. :wub::wub::wub:

Have not been there, but on this we agree 100%. Has anybody ever said the racing sucks there? Hoping that the brakes come back into play. Love the different techniques at play to squeeze out hundredths. Just a fabulous expression of this sport. Stupid beyond words that the lights aren't officially utilized yet. What an atmosphere that would be.

Stupid beyond words that the lights aren't officially utilized yet. What an atmosphere that would be.

September 23rd. That sounds like a good date to make your first trip there.

No offense to the Indianapolis 500 but the first primetime Valleystar Credit Union 300 will, in fact, be the greatest spectacle in racing.

On this day 37 years ago, Dale Earnhardt wins at Bristol
CeyPvLLW8AA_K0r.jpg

Also, hard to believe, but Happy 69th birthday to former F1 team owner Eddie Jordan
f1-hungarian-gp-2001-jean-alesi-eddie-jordan-and-jarno-trulli.jpg

Martinsville Speedway is a home race for Timothy Peters, and the 36-year-old veteran sees the half-mile track as a perfect opportunity to snap a winless drought dating back to November 2015.

Peters enters Saturday’s Alpha Energy Solutions 250 at Martinsville sixth in points after finishing 17th at Daytona and a ninth at Atlanta. This weekend, he heads to the site of his first career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory with a new truck and renewed optimism.

http://www.popularspeed.com/timothy-peters-carries-confidence-to-martinsville/

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 2h2 hours ago

When thinking about plans b/c weather tomorrow: After practice, #NASCAR wants 50 min for teams to prep cars + then 3 hrs for tech.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 2h2 hours ago

When thinking about plans b/c weather tomorrow: After practice, #NASCAR wants 50 min for teams to prep cars + then 3 hrs for tech.

WDBJ Weather says rain will stick around throughout the afternoon. Tomorrow could be a long day.

Maybe they'll turn on the lights for qualifying. :bounce:

I'm planning on leaving my house around 6 or 7. No big rush to get there on Friday if there may not even be any on track activity. I would like to get some good content for Popular Speed though.

Reactions: Pat
Note: All times are ET

FRIDAY, MARCH 31:
ON TRACK
-- 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 1-1:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 3-3:55 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series final practice, FS1 (Follow live)
-- 4:35 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light Pole Qualifying, FS1 (Follow live)

GARAGECAM (Watch live)
-- 11 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
-- 2:30 p.m.: NASCAR Camping World Truck Series

PRESS CONFERENCES (Watch live)
-- 10 a.m.: AJ Allmendinger

-- 10:30 a.m.: Kyle Larson

-- 10:45 a.m.: Jimmie Johnson

-- 11 a.m.: Timothy Peters, Harrison Burton

-- 1:15 p.m.: Denny Hamlin

-- 2 p.m.: Joey Logano

-- 2:30 p.m.: Kyle Busch

-- 5:45 p.m.: (approx) Post-Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series qualifying

A camera guy went over to Jeff's pit stall and got us a handful of race used lug nuts during the celebration. Pretty cool keepsake.
I think there was a red flag after the 22 and 20 had the demolition derby and turned around in my seat, there was a woman sitting there and I thought she was gonna have a nervous breakdown... hands over her mouth, shaking, crying... she was like that until the checkered flag came out and then she just busted loose, never saw anyone that happy at a race in my life.. Come to find out it was her first race and she was a Gordon fan, she was just freaking out! I don't think I'll ever forget that...

Is it the short track aspect that is making people excited about Martinsville under the lights? Cause just last season I remember a lot of folks here complaining that night racing in this series is watered down and too frequent.

Unless they move a cup race to the summertime, it's too damned cold to race there at nite... That's what they did at Richmond....

I'm not sure how this helps unless it scares people into leaving early. Then again, maybe they've always done this there and I've never know about it. We always hang out in Martinsville's north parking lot until well after the race.

C8PeKa9UMAAjrM0.jpg:large

Ya know, I've seen similar announcements from a number of tracks but we were never held. We were usually rolling within 5-10 minutes of the checkers and had no problem. Maybe they exempted the handicapped lots?

Ya know, I've seen similar announcements from a number of tracks but we were never held. We were usually rolling within 5-10 minutes of the checkers and had no problem. Maybe they exempted the handicapped lots?
They usually make an announcement for the camping area across the RR tracks that run along the backstretch. They hold the RV's for an hour after the race so they aren't straddling the tracks should a train come through. Never saw them make an announcement for the parking lots before though.

Maybe it's because of the nutcase that ran over someone last year, their giving everyone a chance to get to their cars....

Maybe it's because of the nutcase that ran over someone last year, their giving everyone a chance to get to their cars....
Forgot about that. That happened in the parking area behind and to the right of our seats. We never even knew about it until the next day.

Im about an hour away from Martinsville. When I left for work this morning, was pouring. Still coming down pretty hard.

I'm not sure how this helps unless it scares people into leaving early. Then again, maybe they've always done this there and I've never know about it. We always hang out in Martinsville's north parking lot until well after the race.

C8PeKa9UMAAjrM0.jpg:large
Probably not a bad idea. I usually stay and watch the victory lane celebration anyway.

Probably not a bad idea. I usually stay and watch the victory lane celebration anyway.
Us too. Then, it's on to the parking lot to grill dinner and watch the hauler parade exit. We always wait for the place to clear out and then drive back to our RV. Besides, watching all of the fans exiting that place can be quite entertaining. In the fall, we normally get out the dish/tv combo and take in the later NFL games.

We stay in the backstretch campground from Friday morning till Monday morning, never leave the property.. Now that's entertainment!!

A special place and a special celebration. Martinsville has a long tradition of doing victory lane the right way. Just one of many examples..... Also one of my all time favorites.

'We're gonna drink a lot of beer tonight! That's what gonna happen.'

Reactions: Pat
Can you even find a level place back there?
If you get there early Friday you can, after that it get's tough... Last year we got a reserved spot in the bottom, just behind the porta-showers, it's pretty flat there. When there's no wind the smoke will kill you...

A special place and a special celebration. Martinsville has a long tradition of doing victory lane the right way. Just one of many examples..... Also one of my all time favorites.

'We're gonna drink a lot of beer tonight! That's what gonna happen.'

Another awesome race, I still have some confetti from that ....

Back
Top Bottom