2018 Chicagoland -- OVERTON'S 400 - Pre-Race Thread

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Johali, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Golf does all the time. Baseball not so much

2. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

I hope it does not get rained out or red-flagged for rain. *fingers crossed*

3. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

Menard's last pole came nearly a decade ago. Holy handgrenades, Batman! :p

4. Yogisd1

Yogisd1 Resident Retard

There is a 15% chance of rain until 2:00 PM, when it changes to 35%. At 3:00 PM it goes to 50%, and stays there the rest of the day. Does this mean Clint Boyer will win this one?

5. Bobw

Bobw Team Owner

I know that but 14 minutes doesn't amount to a P hole in the snow. Plus how many times have they started a race with a green and caution to run laps ''putting heat in the track''? In reality all they're doing is burning laps to get to the half way point.

6. Thegeneral23

Thegeneral23 Team Owner

Is that surprising to u?

2 Sweet likes this.
  7. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

We do also. The only place to be today.

2 Sweet likes this.
  8. Pat

Pat Team Owner

Isn't 14 minutes something like 28 laps?

StandOnIt likes this.
  9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Truex is one of the big three or four, it ain't like Ty Dillion failed inspection. ;)

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  10. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I decided not to go, too hot and the weather looks iffy after about 3pm central time. I’ll watch from home, I’m leaving Tuesday for Daytona. My quest for back to back races will have to wait next year

2 Sweet, KodiakRusty89 and AdoubleU24 like this.
  11. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Plank Owner Contributor

I accidentally did back-to-back one year. The very first night race at Daytona was postponed because of the fires in Florida.
    The only open weekend was in the Fall. So I did Daytona and Talladega on consecutive weekends --- I was exhausted. It
    was fun, but really hard.

Snappy D likes this.
  12. 4tires17gals

4tires17gals Team Owner

Is So excited because it's so nice of the crews to continue tuning the cars with such low excitement as they get pay cuts

FLRacingFan likes this.
  13. Revman

Revman I didn't do sh!t Bob!

To a degree. This sport has spent more time on excessive rules, and what has it gotten from that? Terrible TV ratings, and fans don't go to the track anymore. It isn't working. Free up the rules. Take the emphasis away from tech inspections. Quit wasting money on this bull**** in search of parity. Do you see this in any other major racing series. Did they discuss tech in the F1 race today? How about the 6 Hours of the Glen? There are some who will argue that if you free up the rules, spending will get out of hand. I think a half million on an inspection machine is out of hand.

14. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

nothing compared to a room full of engineers..and hopefully a wad of them get laid off.

15. Revman

Comes with the territory of being in the top 3. You have to tempt the devil that is the OSS. Sometimes you get burned. Ask Seven Time's CC.

16. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Plank Owner Contributor

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    I was told the sock game is strong in the @nascaronnbc booth and that I best bring my A game. Consider it brought @steveletarte @rickallentv @mayorjeffburton #MJ #Thriller

[​IMG]

Charlie Spencer, Pat and Thegeneral23 like this.
  17. Revman

Engineers aren't the problem. Shoving all of them in a small box is. They will all arrive at the same solutions, and they will all run the same speed. This is the issue. Their hands are forced to find that something extra. They go to the edge--if they don't, the car is slow. The OSS makes the edges of that box finite. In all of this, has parity been achieved? No. Just no. Like Kyle Busch said you still have the same guys up front. Spec would solve all of this, and would solve the TV and attendance issues because the series would be dead.

18. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah right, glad you have it all figured out..good luck with that.

19. Revman

Yeah, well it makes more sense than crying for parity when it will never exist, and at the same time waxing poetic about Smokey and his exaggerated gas line. How did we get from that being kind of cool to this schoolgirl goody two shoes has to be fair interpretation of this sport? I will never understand how knowledgeable fans such as yourself have become obsessed with this need to know fairness in search of parity. The sport peaked at the Twisted Sister, right?

20. Thegeneral23

Thegeneral23 Team Owner

They fail inspection a few times though this nothing new with them is what I’m saying

21. Thegeneral23

Thegeneral23 Team Owner

@Revman our boy not looking to good :(

22. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

It’s pretty cool to see how Jr is excited about this next phase of his involvement with NASCAR. I’m rooting for him to be this generation’s Benny Parsons on the mic, gosh do we ever need another one

Bobw and Charlie Spencer like this.
  23. ReturnTrip

ReturnTrip Team Owner

I believe it's one stage caution.

FLRacingFan, Charlie Spencer and Pat like this.
  24. sloggie

sloggie Racing I will teach you

Except it's not, unless you are trying to cheat.

Don't cheat, problem solved.

25. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Give me a break. Passing tech is not a crap shoot. Only crew chief thats gonna agree with you is the one getting caught. Its not even debatable. Whats not good for the sport is letting teams with money get one over on the teams without it.

26. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

We did it for several years with the June Dover and Pocono races. That was probably the easiest back-2-back tracks (158 miles between the two) on the circuit since the old short track runs of North Wilkesboro, Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond ended 20+ years ago. Pocono and Watkins Glen is also quite doable when the dates fall right.

27. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Your posts are all over the place, you cant even keep up with your own argument. You complain about costs of a an OSS which I told you they dont have to buy, yet a roomful of engineers that costs WELL over anything that OSS is not a problem?. the OSS is doing its job because every body style that goes through it is 100% the same. There are a thousand other things that give someone an advantage over another in racing so its up to you to find it. Your way of doing things would bankrupt the sport.

28. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

The LPGA event that's being held just west of downtown Chicago pushed up their tee times to avoid the weather this afternoon. I having a feeling this afternoon/evening could be a real debacle.

29. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

It’s going to be fun watching Truex drive up through the field. :)

Spotter22 likes this.
  30. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

31. joe h

joe h Team Owner

If I was in Vegas(or the handful of places that now allow gambling), I’d put 20 grand on Hamlin today. That dumb Toyota commercial was foreshadowing this race.

32. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

They've discussed balance of power (parity) several times during today's Glen, as they do regularly during IMSA broadcasts.

33. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I really enjoy NBC's pre-race commentary with Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett. Jarrett should be in the booth during the race. Imagine someone like Ralph Sheheen with Dale Jr. and Dale Jarrett. That would be a dramatic improvement. Put Letarte in the garage (think Larry Mac's role), keep Burton limited to the pre/post-race stuff, and send Rick Allen back to the game show he came from.

34. Charlie Spencer

Coverage doesn't need anyone in the garage. Larry Mac belongs in the booth. The only reason he's not there is to make room for Gordo. Move him back and ease DW out.

35. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Fine, then give Letarte his walking papers. I was just trying to be nice and save him a job :D

36. Charlie Spencer

Send Rutledge with him. We don't need an infield lifestyle reporter either.

2 Sweet likes this.
  37. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

That's Krista Voda with Petty and Jarrett, right? I want to give her credit too, I think she does a great job.

At least the NBC pre-race crew does a good job

Mispeedway15 and Charlie Spencer like this.
  38. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

It's the Dale and Dale show.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  39. ReturnTrip

ReturnTrip Team Owner

I just want to remind you people that Dale Jr. is in the booth today. Dale Jr. is in the booth. Yep, Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Just FYI.

p.s. - Dale Jr.

FLRacingFan and Charlie Spencer like this.
  40. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Haha please more exciting drivers, and a removal of so many tri oval shaped tracks would make a difference. If Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson were trading wins instead of Busch and Harvick it would be a different ball game. It’s just like golf and tennis in that it’s driven by big time personalities, that’s the nature of individual sports