2018 Chicagoland -- OVERTON'S 400 - Pre-Race Thread

For various contractual and logistical reasons, sometimes there isn't much more than that they can do. Have you ever seen a baseball game or a golf tournament change their start time?

Golf does all the time. Baseball not so much

I hope it does not get rained out or red-flagged for rain. *fingers crossed*

Menard's last pole came nearly a decade ago. Holy handgrenades, Batman! :p

There is a 15% chance of rain until 2:00 PM, when it changes to 35%. At 3:00 PM it goes to 50%, and stays there the rest of the day. Does this mean Clint Boyer will win this one?

For various contractual and logistical reasons, sometimes there isn't much more than that they can do. Have you ever seen a baseball game or a golf tournament change their start time?
I know that but 14 minutes doesn't amount to a P hole in the snow. Plus how many times have they started a race with a green and caution to run laps ''putting heat in the track''? In reality all they're doing is burning laps to get to the half way point.

I decided not to go, too hot and the weather looks iffy after about 3pm central time. I’ll watch from home, I’m leaving Tuesday for Daytona. My quest for back to back races will have to wait next year

My quest for back to back races will have to wait next year
I accidentally did back-to-back one year. The very first night race at Daytona was postponed because of the fires in Florida.
The only open weekend was in the Fall. So I did Daytona and Talladega on consecutive weekends --- I was exhausted. It
was fun, but really hard.

Is So excited because it's so nice of the crews to continue tuning the cars with such low excitement as they get pay cuts

I don’t get it. Your mad people get caught breaking the rules?

To a degree. This sport has spent more time on excessive rules, and what has it gotten from that? Terrible TV ratings, and fans don't go to the track anymore. It isn't working. Free up the rules. Take the emphasis away from tech inspections. Quit wasting money on this bull**** in search of parity. Do you see this in any other major racing series. Did they discuss tech in the F1 race today? How about the 6 Hours of the Glen? There are some who will argue that if you free up the rules, spending will get out of hand. I think a half million on an inspection machine is out of hand.

Truex is one of the big three or four, it ain't like Ty Dillion failed inspection. ;)

Comes with the territory of being in the top 3. You have to tempt the devil that is the OSS. Sometimes you get burned. Ask Seven Time's CC.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
I was told the sock game is strong in the @nascaronnbc booth and that I best bring my A game. Consider it brought @steveletarte @rickallentv @mayorjeffburton #MJ #Thriller

36515852_10156599740477422_5453253721565691904_n.jpg

nothing compared to a room full of engineers..and hopefully a wad of them get laid off.

Engineers aren't the problem. Shoving all of them in a small box is. They will all arrive at the same solutions, and they will all run the same speed. This is the issue. Their hands are forced to find that something extra. They go to the edge--if they don't, the car is slow. The OSS makes the edges of that box finite. In all of this, has parity been achieved? No. Just no. Like Kyle Busch said you still have the same guys up front. Spec would solve all of this, and would solve the TV and attendance issues because the series would be dead.

yeah right, glad you have it all figured out..good luck with that.

Yeah, well it makes more sense than crying for parity when it will never exist, and at the same time waxing poetic about Smokey and his exaggerated gas line. How did we get from that being kind of cool to this schoolgirl goody two shoes has to be fair interpretation of this sport? I will never understand how knowledgeable fans such as yourself have become obsessed with this need to know fairness in search of parity. The sport peaked at the Twisted Sister, right?

Dale Earnhardt Jr.
I was told the sock game is strong in the @nascaronnbc booth and that I best bring my A game. Consider it brought @steveletarte @rickallentv @mayorjeffburton #MJ #Thriller

36515852_10156599740477422_5453253721565691904_n.jpg
It’s pretty cool to see how Jr is excited about this next phase of his involvement with NASCAR. I’m rooting for him to be this generation’s Benny Parsons on the mic, gosh do we ever need another one

Passing tech is a crapshoot. Probably won't find a crew chief who doesn't agree with me. This is not good for the sport.
Give me a break. Passing tech is not a crap shoot. Only crew chief thats gonna agree with you is the one getting caught. Its not even debatable. Whats not good for the sport is letting teams with money get one over on the teams without it.

I accidentally did back-to-back one year. The very first night race at Daytona was postponed because of the fires in Florida.
The only open weekend was in the Fall. So I did Daytona and Talladega on consecutive weekends --- I was exhausted. It
was fun, but really hard.

We did it for several years with the June Dover and Pocono races. That was probably the easiest back-2-back tracks (158 miles between the two) on the circuit since the old short track runs of North Wilkesboro, Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond ended 20+ years ago. Pocono and Watkins Glen is also quite doable when the dates fall right.

Engineers aren't the problem. Shoving all of them in a small box is. They will all arrive at the same solutions, and they will all run the same speed. This is the issue. Their hands are forced to find that something extra. They go to the edge--if they don't, the car is slow. The OSS makes the edges of that box finite. In all of this, has parity been achieved? No. Just no. Like Kyle Busch said you still have the same guys up front. Spec would solve all of this, and would solve the TV and attendance issues because the series would be dead.
Your posts are all over the place, you cant even keep up with your own argument. You complain about costs of a an OSS which I told you they dont have to buy, yet a roomful of engineers that costs WELL over anything that OSS is not a problem?. the OSS is doing its job because every body style that goes through it is 100% the same. There are a thousand other things that give someone an advantage over another in racing so its up to you to find it. Your way of doing things would bankrupt the sport.

If I was in Vegas(or the handful of places that now allow gambling), I’d put 20 grand on Hamlin today. That dumb Toyota commercial was foreshadowing this race.

I really enjoy NBC's pre-race commentary with Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett. Jarrett should be in the booth during the race. Imagine someone like Ralph Sheheen with Dale Jr. and Dale Jarrett. That would be a dramatic improvement. Put Letarte in the garage (think Larry Mac's role), keep Burton limited to the pre/post-race stuff, and send Rick Allen back to the game show he came from.

I really enjoy NBC's pre-race commentary with Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett. Jarrett should be in the booth during the race. Imagine someone like Ralph Sheheen with Dale Jr. and Dale Jarrett. That would be a dramatic improvement. Put Letarte in the garage (think Larry Mac's role), keep Burton limited to the pre/post-race stuff, and send Rick Allen back to the game show he came from.
Coverage doesn't need anyone in the garage. Larry Mac belongs in the booth. The only reason he's not there is to make room for Gordo. Move him back and ease DW out.

It's the Dale and Dale show.

Haha please more exciting drivers, and a removal of so many tri oval shaped tracks would make a difference. If Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson were trading wins instead of Busch and Harvick it would be a different ball game. It’s just like golf and tennis in that it’s driven by big time personalities, that’s the nature of individual sports

Back
Top Bottom