2018 F1 News Thread

I'll bet if you measured the surface area of all the aero devices the current cars would have a lot more. Just take a look at all the aerobits they have just behind the front wheels alone, and all that crap under the car between the wheels. What an ugly mess.

I'm also betting half of that stuff is designed to screw up the air going to the car behind.

Defying New F1 Owners, Monaco Grand Prix Keeps Its ‘Grid Girls’

“Our American friends assume that it could hurt the feminine feelings when employing young women to carry signs,” Boeri told Monaco-Matine, a local newspaper. “Our hostesses complete model and PR schools. They perform during the Grand Prix at events that are in line with their training. And they are paid for it.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rls-saga-continues-as-monaco-defies-f1-ruling
1000x-1.jpg

That is so awesome about the Monaco hostesses. A couple ways to skin the cat . I like it.

Defying New F1 Owners, Monaco Grand Prix Keeps Its ‘Grid Girls’

“Our American friends assume that it could hurt the feminine feelings when employing young women to carry signs,” Boeri told Monaco-Matine, a local newspaper. “Our hostesses complete model and PR schools. They perform during the Grand Prix at events that are in line with their training. And they are paid for it.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rls-saga-continues-as-monaco-defies-f1-ruling
1000x-1.jpg

Whose idea was it to take them away anyways?

Does that person even know our culture? Guy needs to see some Supercross or even NASCAR.

Excellent news. Maybe the people that decided to remove them, will see how much that improves the atmosphere of the races.

I'm not so sure I would leave Red Bull at this point. They seem almost a lock to eventually run Hondas, and if they can get it right that pairing could be untouchable.

I think Baku is a much unappreciated circuit. The drivers bitch and moan about safety every year, but they have no credibility in that area considering how they chop, block swerve and shove each other off the track virtually every weekend. The circuit isn't the problem. They had to red flag the race last year because the drivers ran into each other so much, including deliberately under yellow flag, that they couldn't miss all the resulting debris. Yeah, let's listen to them.

The cars are actually too good for this to be a really daunting circuit. They are flat out on the sweepers on the back side of the circuit and also leading up to the front straight. I keep hoping we will get rain there and then those turns would be both daunting and challenging. The Castle adds a little bit of mystique and in general the surrounding buildings give the circuit a nice look. It's also nice to get a break from the miles of tarmac run off and multi colored gravel traps.

The complaint is the walls are close and hard and there is no run off, but you can bet no one will complain about that when they go to Monaco later this year. It's funny how they are so silent about that and bitch so much about Baku, which is a much better circuit. So what if the walls are close and hard? Indycar drivers deal with that for 500 miles at a time and they never complain about it. Baku is probably the most interesting circuit on the calendar and at least the first two years the drivers did nothing but forecast a human carnage of epic proportions. It still hasn't happened, except maybe when the drivers forget they have to share the track with each other.

There are other real reasons not to race at Baku, like say their human rights violations, but F1 can't concern themselves with that, not when their attendance and ratings are so important.

Overall, though, I have enjoyed both of the Grands Prix held there so far and hope we get a cracking race this weekend.

I would maybe possibly be okay with this if Baku weren't the supposed track they're targeting to get rid of to make way for this.

We're going to have Miami and COTA?

I'm totally opposed to dropping Baku. It's the only track left that has any real bite to it. Maybe if Miami would be ok if it is the same kind of track, but if we get another Long Beach it would be a absolute waste.

I'm totally opposed to dropping Baku. It's the only track left that has any real bite to it. Maybe if Miami would be ok if it is the same kind of track, but if we get another Long Beach it would be a absolute waste.

COTA would have to go.

That's a no brainer, Baku has been a hit for both races. Why get rid of it?

COTA would have to go.

That's a no brainer, Baku has been a hit for both races. Why get rid of it?

Probably the sanction fee. They paid a metric get this race and now that they don't want to pay it, Liberty Media wants nothing to do with it. I think we can expect more and more venues to drop off on their own because the sanction fees got artificially inflated by places like Bahrain and Abu Dabi who have so much oil a big sanction is pennies to them. Permanent circuits not supported by government oil money just can't keep up, and we've already lost the magnificent Malaysia circuit simply because they are tired of paying too much. We lost the German GP for a few years over the same thing, and it seems Bernie was always playing hardball with Silverstone. There was even talk awhile back we could lose Spa, which would be a travesty.

I hope I am wrong because we don't need to lost any more of the classic circuits.

That's at least what they want. I believe Liberty want three GPs in the U.S., but that doesn't seem terribly realistic.

Plus, they've stated they want to up the calendar a little bit. I don't know why all of a sudden Baku has to go to make way for it? Their contract goes through 2020, from what I read...

Baku is arguably the best race on the calendar now. If we absolutely had to cut down couldn't we get rid of the Putin Grand Prix or something? Chances are Miami will be a flop anyways.

Kevin doesn't need to be reprimanded or penalized. He needs to be ordered to have a psychiatric examination. The way he's been driving you might think he's just ruthless, but this kind of attitude is simply mental.

Magnussen prepared ‘to die in the car’

Honestly, would you go wheel to wheel with someone who is ready to die to beat you over 10th place? Maybe Kevin is playing everyone, but this ain't April Fool's day. This is real with life and death in the balance, and he's talking like a psycho. F1 wants to brag about how important safety is but they let this suicide/manslaughter risk drive an F1 car? They are every bit as out of their minds as Kevin.

Yeah, sure, if you strap in you had better be willing to die because it could happen, but Kevin's attitude is just asking for it, or worse giving it to someone else. Driving a racecar is a measured risk, but there was nothing measured about the way he endangered Gasly at Baku. The FIA needs to set him down for a race just on the basis of these comments alone. After Kevin kills someone it will be too late.

Seriously, this is not a sane, well adjusted attitude.

Brawn: Ricciardo became "a passenger"

Wait...... this is the guy in charge? Why isn't he calling for all the dangerous antics to stop?

Come on. These clowns (meaning almost the entre field) embarrassed themselves and were a disgrace to the championship, if not all of auto racing, and Brawn isn't jumping up and down and yanking super licenses? I would have black flagged Verstappen myself after three laps because he was already driving like the grim freaking reaper, and I would have simply suspended Magnussen for the rest of the season.Something along those lines would stop all of this crap instantly and we'de have both safer and better racing.

What's the point of having any rules at all if you don't enforce them?

That's at least what they want. I believe Liberty want three GPs in the U.S., but that doesn't seem terribly realistic.

I've read speculation that the goal is even up to four. That truly seems a stretch, but within 7 years time, I would guess that three may be the most likely number. It seems that Liberty considers the U.S. media market to be their most lucrative growth opportunity. I could see COTA, Miami, and a northeastern race as close to NYC as possible being the plan.

Before the season I thought I would try subscribing to this. Now that ESPN has gone commercial-free for the season, I'm not sure. There is obviously more to the streaming app than just that, but the uninterrupted Sky coverage ESPN is showing is high quality, and I don't feel like I need more. Which tells me the delay was a mistake, at least for now.

We've tried two before and it didn't work.

Plus, they've stated they want to up the calendar a little bit.

Don't we have 21 races now? It gets to a point you are ragging out the teams because people are working too hard. Being a racing mechanic is a brutal job with impossible hours anyway, and adding races isn't going to make that part any better.

I don't know why all of a sudden Baku has to go to make way for it? Their contract goes through 2020, from what I read...

Especially since Paul Richard is on the schedule. If you want to see a boring circuit, that's it. It used to be ok because at least it had a long straight, but even that's now littered with chicanes. Having said that, it's good to have a French HP back on the schedule.

Baku is arguably the best race on the calendar now.

Agree, but the FIA is so bent an perfect safety they aren't going to allow too many street races. At least Baku is smooth and wide with come run off. It's a lot better, safety wise, than Monaco, except the drivers always seem to lose their minds when they go there.

If we absolutely had to cut down couldn't we get rid of the Putin Grand Prix or something?

It's hard to say which circuits are good or not because the current cars don't race well anywhere. I'll bet if you put Indycars down at Russia they would put on a storming race. Personally I would love to see them restore the old Osterriechring on the Red Bull Ring property. Some of the old track is even still there and Red Bull owns the property.

Chances are Miami will be a flop anyways.

Yeah, but if it is, will they give us Baku back or just move on to the next temporary cash cow?

Lewis Hamilton hates the Miami layout too.

Back
Top Bottom