2018 NASCAR Good, Bad, and Ugly

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Ventisca, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:55 PM.

1. Ventisca

Ventisca Jackman Contributor

Good: Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval madness -- I was engaged the entire race (and lamenting the fact that I didn't go to this inaugural event); and thoroughly enjoyed the surprise ending.

Bad: Furniture Row as a successful competitive 1-car team closing up shop.

Ugly: Holy "4-Car" Joe sitting Hamlin down and taking away his prized pit stall then handing it over to KyBu, attempting to manipulate the outcome of a Championship Race -- and to make matters worse, Team KyBu throwing away their ill-gotten advantage with pit road mistakes, as well as a car that couldn't fire off on restarts or compete in the money laps.

2. IanMcVittie

IanMcVittie Car Chief

I think the good was Bristol and the Roval and the bad was the number of fans that walked away from the series in 2018.

3. Good : all the races I went to including going to Watkins Glen for the first time. Seeing Chase win twice (Watkins and Dover) was awesome as well. Brad’s 3 wins in a row were awesome as well and Jr running at Richmond in Xfinity
    Bad : Furniture Row closing and NBC’s god-awful announcing

4. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

The Good, Roval...the "good guy wins"
    [​IMG]

The Bad, Daytona 400, half the field out at finish due to "accident"
    [​IMG]

The Ugly...this guy
    [​IMG]

jws926, mack, ToyYoda and 8 others like this.
  5. Nitro Dude

Nitro Dude Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

Bad- Didn't have the time to attend any NASCAR races this year.
    Bad-Only had the time to watch 2 NASCAR races on tv this year.
    Bad- TRL retiring as Mod from the best NASCAR forum this year.
    Good-The best NASCAR chat forum...Racing Forums is still going strong at the end of 2018.
    Ugly-Me every time I look in the mirror.:)

jws926, sdj, Team Penske and 3 others like this.
  6. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Yep yep and a damn tootin.

Nitro Dude likes this.
  7. Truex_rox

Truex_rox Furniture Row's Biggest Fan

Good: Chase Elliott's breakthrough wins were a sight to behold. The finishes of Chicagoland, Watkins Glen, the Roval, and Martinsville were enthralling. The Big 3 made for an interesting storyline, imo.

Bad: JGR puts the squeeze on Furniture Row Racing, and they ultimately get forced to close after a championship season.

Ugly: Brian France makes it clear that he has nothing against destructive decisions, and again makes headlines for all the wrong reasons.

8. The Good: The Roval. The finishes at Chicagoland, New Hampshire, Watkins Glen, Indy, and Martinsville. Team Penske getting a second championship. Chase finally getting the monkey off his back and winning three races.

The Bad: Furniture Row Racing closing down. Larson going winless. The first three plate races being demolition derbies.

The Ugly: Brian France making an #%$ of himself.

Ventisca and LewTheShoe like this.
  9. Towmater

Towmater Ratings Craterville

The Good: Joey winning the championship
    The Bad: Furniture Row closing and supposed closure of Roush’s Xfinity team
    The Ugly: The TV ratings. I’d say it doesn’t get any uglier than that but this years numbers destroying last years ugly numbers means that I can’t.

10. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner Contributor

Bad: plate racing
    Bad: new rules package that wasn't needed
    Good: Mostly good racing all year
    Bad: FRR shutting down

11. Ventisca

Ventisca Jackman Contributor

:cheers:

12. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

The Good:
    > The 2018 rules package, which produced a lot of excellent races and a few really great ones, despite the competitive advantage enjoyed early in the year by the SHR 4 and the JGR 18.
    > Favorite result: Brad K winning the Southern 500, to me the most hallowed Nascar race of them all. (See my avatar for a clue on my favorite driver.)
    > Favorite finish: Brad K getting under Hambone in turn 2 at Indy and flat out-running the 11 to win the Brickyard 400, another of Nascar's crown jewel races.
    > Off Track Highlight: Jim France taking control as CEO of NASCAR, and dropping the "interim" from his title.

The Bad:
    > The Chevy Camaros, all of them, until late in the year.
    > Honorable Mention Badness to the Penske Fords, until late in the year, while the SHR 4 showed what the potential was. Or was the 4 cheated up all year? We'll never know.
    > Austin Dillon in the 3 racking sideways across the bumper of the 10 to turn Almirola coming to the flag in the Daytona 500.
    > Terrible TV ratings versus prior year... plus Rick Allen & the Screamin' Gerbils (should be a forgotten garage band, but somehow found itself on TV).

The Ugly:
    > Pious Joe Gibbs purposely putting Furniture Row out of business via fatal price gouging.
    > P.J.G. issuing team orders trying to manipulate the championship outcome via Pit Stall-gate at Homestead. ("We just love having a 4-car team, blah, blah.")
    > Brian France fully "locked & loaded" behind bars in Sag Harbor, N.Y. (See mug shot in post #4 above... a nice touch by @DIDIT.)

13. rd45usa

rd45usa Days gone past

Good- Chase finally breaking thru.

Bad- Brian France putting Nascar in the news for the wrong reasons.

Ugly- JGR/FRR "business" deal.

14. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Team Owner Contributor

No mention of the cheating 4 car ? It's all I can think of when somebody says "4 car"

15. kyle18fan

Good ==== Cheating Harvick fails to win the cup
    Bad ==== FRR spirals down the bowl
    Ugly ==== Kyle Busch unloads a toad at Homestead

Revman and Ventisca like this.
  16. mack

mack Team Owner

The Good- It's stock car racing! Chase got the monkey off his back. Plus, Ryan Blaney is just plain cool!!! BONUS- the fabled #43 finished 2nd in the Daytona 500, and Bubba is pretty dern cool too!!!
    The Bad. FRR closing shop
    The Ugly, Dork Dillon and the Cowboy hat, and that goofy grass/water slide he did at Daytona.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:37 AM
  17. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Hick

The Good..... As long as NASCAR has fans like this were going to be OK. Oh yeah Chase Elliott's first win.

The bad and the Ugly................. doesn't matter.

Johali, Mike Crayne and mack like this.
  18. Mopardh9

Mopardh9 Team Owner Contributor

Did he just expose man boobs?

19. Revman

Revman May God Bless Coach Joe Gibbs and all JGR Fans

Good: Kyle Busch
    Bad: Delana's Wife's team cheating its ass off
    Ugly: Delana's Wife's team giving us the impression that they were dominant when they were actually cheating all year

kyle18fan likes this.
  20. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

21. kyle18fan

My eyes hurt now

22. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Brian France getting arrested was the best story of 2018. I waited so long for the day.

23. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

Kyle Busch being to slow and pathetic to win at Homestead was great too. More pain for the 'but Delana's wife crybabies' is a great thing.
    Makes me happy.

Ventisca likes this.
  24. Formerjackman

Formerjackman Team Owner

The good: Chase finally breaks through in a big way.
    JGR and Toyota come up short again.

The bad: The horrible performance of the Chevy in general and Hendrick Motorsports in particular.
    The Roval. I'll admit I couldn't turn away, but not because I liked what I saw. Johnson's bonehead move at the end clinched it for me.
    The 2018 rules package. OK, I was wrong. I WANTED a low downforce package, I thought low downforce was the answer. Then I saw it implemented. I lost track of how many times I fell asleep during races this year.

The ugly: The attendance and the ratings.
    The Brian France DUI
    The sordid mess that was the demise of Furniture Row Racing.

StandOnIt likes this.
  25. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

The good: Ford
    The bad: Chevy
    The ugly: Toyota (Team orders, team shutdowns)

Greg and Ventisca like this.