2018 NASCAR Good, Bad, and Ugly

Ventisca

Team Owner
Good: Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval madness -- I was engaged the entire race (and lamenting the fact that I didn't go to this inaugural event); and thoroughly enjoyed the surprise ending.

Bad: Furniture Row as a successful competitive 1-car team closing up shop.

Ugly: Holy "4-Car" Joe sitting Hamlin down and taking away his prized pit stall then handing it over to KyBu, attempting to manipulate the outcome of a Championship Race -- and to make matters worse, Team KyBu throwing away their ill-gotten advantage with pit road mistakes, as well as a car that couldn't fire off on restarts or compete in the money laps.

I think the good was Bristol and the Roval and the bad was the number of fans that walked away from the series in 2018.

Good : all the races I went to including going to Watkins Glen for the first time. Seeing Chase win twice (Watkins and Dover) was awesome as well. Brad’s 3 wins in a row were awesome as well and Jr running at Richmond in Xfinity
Bad : Furniture Row closing and NBC’s god-awful announcing

The Good, Roval...the "good guy wins"
26fdae05cfc4414eacaee1f0dfef10d9.jpg

The Bad, Daytona 400, half the field out at finish due to "accident"
636665942734561727-crash1.JPG

The Ugly...this guy
0806-brian-france-mug-shot-3.jpg

Bad- Didn't have the time to attend any NASCAR races this year.
Bad-Only had the time to watch 2 NASCAR races on tv this year.
Bad- TRL retiring as Mod from the best NASCAR forum this year.
Good-The best NASCAR chat forum...Racing Forums is still going strong at the end of 2018.
Ugly-Me every time I look in the mirror.:)

Bad- TRL retiring as Mod from the best NASCAR forum this year.
Good-The best NASCAR chat forum...Racing Forums is still going strong at the end of 2018.
Ugly-Me every time I look in the mirror.:)
Yep yep and a damn tootin.

Good: Chase Elliott's breakthrough wins were a sight to behold. The finishes of Chicagoland, Watkins Glen, the Roval, and Martinsville were enthralling. The Big 3 made for an interesting storyline, imo.

Bad: JGR puts the squeeze on Furniture Row Racing, and they ultimately get forced to close after a championship season.

Ugly: Brian France makes it clear that he has nothing against destructive decisions, and again makes headlines for all the wrong reasons.

The Good: The Roval. The finishes at Chicagoland, New Hampshire, Watkins Glen, Indy, and Martinsville. Team Penske getting a second championship. Chase finally getting the monkey off his back and winning three races.

The Bad: Furniture Row Racing closing down. Larson going winless. The first three plate races being demolition derbies.

The Ugly: Brian France making an #%$ of himself.

The Good: Joey winning the championship
The Bad: Furniture Row closing and supposed closure of Roush’s Xfinity team
The Ugly: The TV ratings. I’d say it doesn’t get any uglier than that but this years numbers destroying last years ugly numbers means that I can’t.

Bad: plate racing
Bad: new rules package that wasn't needed
Good: Mostly good racing all year
Bad: FRR shutting down

The Good:
> The 2018 rules package, which produced a lot of excellent races and a few really great ones, despite the competitive advantage enjoyed early in the year by the SHR 4 and the JGR 18.
> Favorite result: Brad K winning the Southern 500, to me the most hallowed Nascar race of them all. (See my avatar for a clue on my favorite driver.)
> Favorite finish: Brad K getting under Hambone in turn 2 at Indy and flat out-running the 11 to win the Brickyard 400, another of Nascar's crown jewel races.
> Off Track Highlight: Jim France taking control as CEO of NASCAR, and dropping the "interim" from his title.

The Bad:
> The Chevy Camaros, all of them, until late in the year.
> Honorable Mention Badness to the Penske Fords, until late in the year, while the SHR 4 showed what the potential was. Or was the 4 cheated up all year? We'll never know.
> Austin Dillon in the 3 racking sideways across the bumper of the 10 to turn Almirola coming to the flag in the Daytona 500.
> Terrible TV ratings versus prior year... plus Rick Allen & the Screamin' Gerbils (should be a forgotten garage band, but somehow found itself on TV).

The Ugly:
> Pious Joe Gibbs purposely putting Furniture Row out of business via fatal price gouging.
> P.J.G. issuing team orders trying to manipulate the championship outcome via Pit Stall-gate at Homestead. ("We just love having a 4-car team, blah, blah.")
> Brian France fully "locked & loaded" behind bars in Sag Harbor, N.Y. (See mug shot in post #4 above... a nice touch by @DIDIT.)

Good- Chase finally breaking thru.

Bad- Brian France putting Nascar in the news for the wrong reasons.

Ugly- JGR/FRR "business" deal.

Good: Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval madness -- I was engaged the entire race (and lamenting the fact that I didn't go to this inaugural event); and thoroughly enjoyed the surprise ending.

Bad: Furniture Row as a successful competitive 1-car team closing up shop.

Ugly: Holy "4-Car" Joe sitting Hamlin down and taking away his prized pit stall then handing it over to KyBu, attempting to manipulate the outcome of a Championship Race -- and to make matters worse, Team KyBu throwing away their ill-gotten advantage with pit road mistakes, as well as a car that couldn't fire off on restarts or compete in the money laps.

No mention of the cheating 4 car ? It's all I can think of when somebody says "4 car"

The Good- It's stock car racing! Chase got the monkey off his back. Plus, Ryan Blaney is just plain cool!!! BONUS- the fabled #43 finished 2nd in the Daytona 500, and Bubba is pretty dern cool too!!!
The Bad. FRR closing shop
The Ugly, Dork Dillon and the Cowboy hat, and that goofy grass/water slide he did at Daytona.

Last edited:
Good: Kyle Busch
Bad: Delana's Wife's team cheating its ass off
Ugly: Delana's Wife's team giving us the impression that they were dominant when they were actually cheating all year

Brian France getting arrested was the best story of 2018. I waited so long for the day.

Kyle Busch being to slow and pathetic to win at Homestead was great too. More pain for the 'but Delana's wife crybabies' is a great thing.
Makes me happy.

The good: Chase finally breaks through in a big way.
JGR and Toyota come up short again.

The bad: The horrible performance of the Chevy in general and Hendrick Motorsports in particular.
The Roval. I'll admit I couldn't turn away, but not because I liked what I saw. Johnson's bonehead move at the end clinched it for me.
The 2018 rules package. OK, I was wrong. I WANTED a low downforce package, I thought low downforce was the answer. Then I saw it implemented. I lost track of how many times I fell asleep during races this year.

The ugly: The attendance and the ratings.
The Brian France DUI
The sordid mess that was the demise of Furniture Row Racing.

Back
Top Bottom