2018 NASCAR Hall of Fame class

Hornaday? Sorta surprised by that one, but then again, he was a great driver. A solid class, nevertheless.

Glad Yates got in you never know what's going to happen in the near future with him. Penske Roush Gibbs Allison and AK all deserving maybe next year

A little surprised at Hornaday making it in. Glad Yates , Squires, and Byron got in. Was hoping Davey would have made it.

Pretty cool Ray Evernham made it. He invented the modern pit stop/crew/training. The greatest What If for me in NASCAR is what if Ray had stayed with Jeff Gordon for the duration of their careers?

FYI, the percentage of ballots...

Robert Yates, 94%
Red Byron, 74%
Ray Evernham, 52%
Ken Squier, 40%
Ron Hornaday, 38%

Very happy that Robert Yates made it in, well, happy for everyone.

On side note, they had a tie between Ron and Alan K and had to do a re vote for those two, me personally I would of rather seen AK make it in, but I think I understand why Ron made it in over AK this time.

it's turning into a joke. too many people are getting in every year. Ray Evernham? Ron Hornaday? Really?

it's turning into a joke. too many people are getting in every year. Ray Evernham? Ron Hornaday? Really?

I definitely understand why you say that I totally get it but unfortunately every hall of fame is like that

Funny how times have changed. Early on people felt as if 5 simply weren't enough. They wanted many more than that to be initially inducted into the HoF. Now it's too many. :D

Congrats to all of those that made it in.

Funny how times have changed. Early on people felt as if 5 simply weren't enough. They wanted many more than that to be initially inducted into the HoF. Now it's too many. :D

Congrats to all of those that made it in.

The right thing to do would have been to enshrine all the obvious candidates at the HoF's inception and then make selections every 2-3-4 years or as warranted. The HoF will end up being a watered down place with members like David Poole, Davey Allison, Geoff Bodine and Greg Biffle within the next 10 years.

The right thing to do would have been to enshrine all the obvious candidates at the HoF's inception and then make selections every 2-3-4 years or as warranted. The HoF will end up being a watered down place with members like David Poole, Davey Allison, Geoff Bodine and Greg Biffle within the next 10 years.
this. 100%

The Nascar Hall of Fame hasn't turned into the money maker Charlotte envisioned.

The last I heard was the HoF was trying to weasel out of 21 million worth of loans to a couple of banks. I seem to remember a forecast of 800,000 visitors the first year and 400,000 after that but I think the joint sees 150-160,000 visitors each year and is a big money loser for the city of Charlotte.

Charlotte wanted this so bad, it looks good on them. I wonder if they paid off the bribes promised to get it.

Happy for all of the inductees!

Ron Hornaday was and is a big surprise IMHO. He's statistically the greatest truck series driver, ever. I guess it was time to give the truck series some love in the HOF. I can respect that.

I'm happy that they're getting Yates in there now, he does not look well at all.

We need to begin a grassroots campaign to see that old cue ball Todd Bodine gets in as well as Ted Musgrave, Mike Skinner and Bobby Hamilton. I am thinking all the Green brothers should make it as it would be unfair to elect 1 and not the others and as time goes on perhaps Loy Allen, Jeff Purvis and Sammy Johns too.

Robert Yates is one of my all time favorites. How many other owners wore a uniform and worked on the cars? He looked like one of the guys on his pit crew. Old school dude and a great person. One hell of a good owner and engine builder too.

Jack Roush did. VERY hands on in every aspect, not just engines. I bet he never makes it in while alive. For some reason people/media don't care for his feistiness.

But very happy for Robert Yates. He had solid teams, the best a few years he didn't get the titles either.

Davey Allison and Geoff Bodine are both worthy future entries, imo

David Poole doesn't belong in the same paragraph

Didn’t think I’d see Turner inducted. Was glad to see it.

Guess the best way to look at, for me anyway, it is just that. Be happy to see those you think belong in there make it ‘n just congratulate those you question ‘n move on. Nothin’ one of us can do about it.

Kinda like to live to see ‘em induct Yunick. Robertson, Hall ‘n, I think, Nelson into the place.

Davey Allison and Geoff Bodine are both worthy future entries, imo

David Poole doesn't belong in the same paragraph

Nothing against guys like Rudd, Geoff Bodine, Davey Allison, Harry Gant, Tim Richmond, Greg Biffle and others but you have to have some sort of cutoff point. You don't vote guys into the HoF for what could have done if they lived longer or been with better teams you vote them in for what they have accomplished. If the HoF starts admitting drivers in with no champs and less than 20 wins where does it stop?

Nothing against guys like Rudd, Geoff Bodine, Davey Allison, Harry Gant, Tim Richmond, Greg Biffle and others but you have to have some sort of cutoff point. You don't vote guys into the HoF for what could have done if they lived longer or been with better teams you vote them in for what they have accomplished. If the HoF starts admitting drivers in with no champs and less than 20 wins where does it stop?

I need to review his cup stats but Geoff Bodine had a great modified career too.
Gant is overdue for the Hall imo.

I need to review his cup stats but Geoff Bodine had a great modified career too.
Gant is overdue for the Hall imo.

Nobody thinks more highly of Harry than I do as he was a tough as nails, a gentleman on and off the track and he made the best of lesser equipment and resources. My only concern is where does it stop? Ernie Irvan, Tim Richmond, Sterling Marlin?

Nobody thinks more highly of Harry than I do as he was a tough as nails, a gentleman on and off the track and he made the best of lesser equipment and resources. My only concern is where does it stop? Ernie Irvan, Tim Richmond, Sterling Marlin?

I dont want it watered down, but there are not that many drivers slam dunks absolutes left.
There will be some guys like Gordon, and Stewart that are unanimous first ballots in the near future.

But sooner or later Harry Gant, Ricky Rudd, Buddy Baker and Geoff Bodine will make it in too, just with less than absolute vote counts. But I still think they are deserving. The short list of GOAT type drivers just dont appear often enough to fill every class. There is almost 70 years of Nascar history on the books, do the math, it is a very limited circle.

I do hope that a Micheal Waltrip type never gets in, there are a lot of outstanding drivers that should prevent that type of degradation. And there are a lot of short track greats like Sam Ard that will be worthy additions as well.

Ken Squier had a voice that made every race sound like it was a big deal. Much like Pat Summerall or Keith Jackson

Ray Evernham was an innovator with both pit crews and some of his chassis work. Anyone remember the Jurrasic Park car from the All-Star race (don't bring that car back)? Evernham revived Bill Elliott's career and even made Kasey Kahne look like an elite driver.

As far as Hornaday, I'm worried that open the door for guys like David Green, Johnny Benson, and others that won lots of races and multiple championships in the lower levels to get in.

Since they opened Pandora's Box last year by voting in active car owners, Joe Gibbs and Jack Roush should get in long before Hornaday.

Back
Top Bottom