2019 Austrian Grand Prix

Nothing wrong about it, IMO.
Charles left the door open and turned down on Max when he rejoined the track.

It was a great race and overall l am happy. l don't want a penalty for Verstappen either, whenever possible they should let the drivers handle the issues. The penalty against Vettel a few weeks ago was a disaster l do not want more of the same.
l also realize everyone has thier own ideas about driver code, and good people will disagree.

But I think both were even through that corner and the situation called for not pinching someone off or running someone off the track like Verstappen did against LeClerc. He basically used the 8 tires are better than 4 approach.

I am not surprised and l was thinking in the closing laps that LeClerc was doomed to second at best. Because Max would wreck him, or them both before settling for second. That is the way he races. I guess LeClerc should be be thankful that he was not wrecked. Max isn't clean when things are equal or close.

I just want somebody to muscle up and give him some of his own medicine.

Just when I had about given up on the idea of this season producing good races (I didn't even think about getting up at 6:00 AM to watch live), this was the best GP in recent memory. For once there were more consequential battles on the track than the telecast could keep track of. This is a great circuit to allow for such strong racing with this formula.

As for Verstappen's winning pass, ideally I'd like to see him leave Leclerc room. He effectively did force Leclerc off the track, after leaving space on the first attempt and failing. I agree that there shouldn't be a penalty. But none of the recent stewards' penalties were legit either, and the inconsistency is maddening.

What a drive though by Max.

Verstappen deserved to win because he had the fastest car but I think Leclerc could have won if he didn't leave the inside lane open.

I have to believe that Leclerc should have been able to build up a larger gap during the first stint, especially if they were going to pit that early. It sounds like he was asking to push and they were being conservative. It produced a great event, but the Ferrari race management is questionable as always.

Gasly getting lapped by his teammate who bungled his start is embarrassing. Get someone else in that seat now. Didn't they replace Kyvat mid-season?

I have to believe that Leclerc should have been able to build up a larger gap during the first stint, especially if they were going to pit that early. It sounds like he was asking to push and they were being conservative. It produced a great event, but the Ferrari race management is questionable as always.

Gasly getting lapped by his teammate who bungled his start is embarrassing. Get someone else in that seat now. Didn't they replace Kyvat mid-season?
Kvyat was replaced mid-season at both Red Bull (by Verstappen) and at Toro Rosso afterwards (by Gasly), before being dropped entirely by Red Bull for a year. Verstappen is obviously great, but no one in F1 should get lapped by their teammate in an incident-free race, even at a track as short as Austria. Another straight swap between the two should be worth exploring at this point.

It was a great race and overall l am happy. l don't want a penalty for Verstappen either, whenever possible they should let the drivers handle the issues. The penalty against Vettel a few weeks ago was a disaster l do not want more of the same.
l also realize everyone has thier own ideas about driver code, and good people will disagree.

But I think both were even through that corner and the situation called for not pinching someone off or running someone off the track like Verstappen did against LeClerc. He basically used the 8 tires are better than 4 approach.

I am not surprised and l was thinking in the closing laps that LeClerc was doomed to second at best. Because Max would wreck him, or them both before settling for second. That is the way he races. I guess LeClerc should be be thankful that he was not wrecked. Max isn't clean when things are equal or close.

I just want somebody to muscle up and give him some of his own medicine.
Good race, the most excitement from F1 in quite a while. I'm with Greg on the Verstappen pass... not clean, but I didn't want the stewards stepping in yet again.

At least half of the spectators are from Holland...
I've been curious about this for a while... does anyone know *why* the Dutch fans are so bonkers over Max Verstappen? I mean, he is a great talent, but there are other great young talents as well. Is Charles Leclerc a social phenomenon in France the way Max is in Holland? Was Vettel ever such a thing in Germany? Max-mania is clearly a great thing for F1. Is there anything to learn from that?

Good race, 3 team competition will be good if this trend continues.

Good race, the most excitement from F1 in quite a while. I'm with Greg on the Verstappen pass... not clean, but I didn't want the stewards stepping in yet again.

I've been curious about this for a while... does anyone know *why* the Dutch fans are so bonkers over Max Verstappen? I mean, he is a great talent, but there are other great young talents as well. Is Charles Leclerc a social phenomenon in France the way Max is in Holland? Was Vettel ever such a thing in Germany? Max-mania is clearly a great thing for F1. Is there anything to learn from that?
I think a good part of it is that Max is already the most successful Dutch F1 driver ever, and it's a country that's been neglected by F1 for a few decades now despite having hosted a significant number of grands prix prior to that. The Dutch just seem to take an additional amount of national pride in their sports too, most notably with the men's national soccer team. I think it was similar when Schumacher emerged in the 90's for Germany.

I knew some bull**** like this would happen so I didn't program the DVR. We finally get something close to a competitive deal and it's ruined by dirty driving the stewards afraid to do anything about it because they screwed up the decision last week too, What a bunch of inept clowns. I'm glad the time I wasted was on the replay of Max pulling another dirty trick. This is what F1 has devolved into and why I am now done with it.

It must be the high degree of parity and increased proximity of cars driving together on the track this season that have sent the ratings surging, since that is what drives audiences to motorsports.

Parity ? o_O:confused: surely you are being sarcastic

Back
Top Bottom