2019 IndyCar Miscellaneous

Discussion in 'Open Wheel Racing' started by Charlie Spencer, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Good to see they've cleaned this up nicely.

Harding Steinbrenner big boost for rest of IndyCar season
    https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/harding-steinbrenner-big-boost-rest-indycar-season-63571029

It's unfortunate that it seems like it has to be one or the other with Pocono and Richmond. Both are markets otherwise untapped by IndyCar, and the general oval count could also use a boost. I don't get the feeling at all that Miles seems to get that IndyCar has fulfilled the domestic potential.

IndyCar CEO Miles confirms discussions with Richmond, negotiations with Pocono
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2019/06/06/indycar-talking-richmond-negotiating-pocono/1368824001/

2. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I know the core of IndyCar is the 500 and the road courses anymore, but having just one of Pocono and Richmond is disappointing.

I liked it best when they had a triple crown for ovals. Have it at Indy/Pocono/Texas (not a SS but whatever).

Snappy D and FLRacingFan like this.
  3. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Agreed. I don't want to see this become Champ Car. I wish the Texas race were a little longer, I know 500 miles probably isn't possible with the G-forces.

4. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Go back to Motegi or Rockingham again if they need international races, is Brands Hatch oval raceable?

5. donthaveanickname

donthaveanickname Team Owner

Rockingham has closed, unfortunately.
    And there is no oval at Brands Hatch.

6. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Wrong Rockingham, I suspect.

7. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

The oval that the Euro Series runs, Raceway Venray in the Netherlands. Its 1/2 mile though probably not a good fit.

8. donthaveanickname

No, the Rockingham racetrack in the UK closed as well at the end of last year.
    It'd be impossible to race formula cars there.
    And the track has no pit road, that's why the Euro Series race is only 50 miles.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  9. Charlie Spencer

I’m sorry to hear that.

10. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

11. Charlie Spencer

I have a hard time following the flow of Twitter conversations. Did the President just mistake IndyCar for NASCAR?

AuzGrams and donthaveanickname like this.
  12. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

13. Charlie Spencer

Did he also turn celebrating someone else’s achievement into being about him?

14. Doc Austin

Doc Austin Team Extreme Flight

Good to see there's no limit to how petty people can be when ragging on the president, but we already knew that.

Snappy D, rd45usa and DaBiff1618 like this.
  15. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

16. Charlie Spencer

I'm asking questions. Feel free to answer them.

AuzGrams likes this.
  17. donthaveanickname

Would be cool if they let him do a test drive in an IndyCar or a NASCAR car:)

18. Doc Austin

Doc Austin Team Extreme Flight

Ask a legitimate question instead of one based off a false narrative. How hard is that?

No. Trump mentioned Penske just won Daytona, and then started talking about Nascar.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  19. Charlie Spencer

Okay, that answers my first question.

AuzGrams likes this.
  20. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

BRUUUUHHHHH:

NEWEY STILL HAS THE SETUP NOTES!

Come home, Adrian. Come back to the light.

21. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

22. Charlie Spencer

That's disappointing. I work in a town of 6000. The annual three-day Poultry Festival has drawn 80K plus for the last decade regardless of weather, and 95K isn't unusual.

AuzGrams and LewTheShoe like this.
  23. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Outside of F1 and I suspect MotoGP, 95K over three days seems good enough for a racing event of any kind anymore, with several notable exceptions. Good enough for Penske and GM to keep putting it on, at least.

AuzGrams likes this.
  24. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

25. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Once again.

**** BMW.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  26. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

BMW's motorsport program is famously a mess but they have a point that it's easier to find a "story" to market elsewhere. The technology angle is easier to exploit elsewhere as the engine formula isn't exactly road-relevant, and in IMSA they can actually market the M series in the biggest market they're in. There are a few points in IndyCar's favor that could justify a manufacturer starting a new program there but without a real link to street cars it'll be hard to get approval for one.

27. Charlie Spencer

While I agree completely, what makes IndyCar entry less attractive than F1? Gods know it has little in common with street cars either. Is it just a question of prestige?

28. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Racing now in days have to involve concepts that can be applied to road vehicles. In order for a manufacturer to make more money, such as hybrid technology to apply to everyday cars to bring the concept of "Track to street" technology comes full-circle. If it cannot make money average consumer, more than likely manufacturers are going to see it as a waste of money and resources.

It sucks, but it has to happen at this point.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  29. Charlie Spencer

I understand but the same points apply to F1, yet they draw more than two manufacturers.

30. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

F1, as international as it is, first offers substantially more exposure, even without considering any degree of road relevance. With its hybrid tech included F1 shares a stronger link towards what manufacturers are doing and want to do with what they're selling. The upcoming Mercedes-AMG One hypercar, for instance, carries a lot of technology over from the Mercedes F1 program. F1 has problems of its own with not necessarily being economically viable (there's a proposed budget cap incoming in a few years) but at least they can justify to their boards that it's not just a racing project. IndyCar finalized the new engine regulations without any degree of change in technology, just a displacement increase, but it sounds like they're revisiting them to some extent to see what can be added or altered to get another manufacturer's approval, even if means pushing back the change to 2022.

Obviously as Marquardt said it's a lot easier to go racing in IMSA as many of the GT cars have race and street variants built parallel to each other, and all of the cars, prototypes included, utilize production-based engines. So you can market particular engines and product lines (like the M series) that you can actually go see at the dealership.

31. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Co-owner says Meyer Shank Racing 'in a good place' to expand to full-time program in 2020
    https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...g-expanding-full-slate-2020-50-50/1478313001/

Besides some future F1 guys who used it as a winter tuneup (Lance Stroll, Lando Norris) some notable local graduates include Brendon Hartley, Shane van Gisbergen, Earl Bamber.

Road to Indy partners with Toyota GAZOO Racing New Zealand on driver development program
    https://racer.com/2019/06/21/road-to-indy-partners-with-toyota-gazoo-racing-new-zealand-on-driver-development-program/