2019 Iowa 300

I think it's safe to say Ganassi missed the late setup change to full night conditions. Gonna need some big adjustments to salvage this one.

ECR and ASPM cars look very good on long runs.

Cars and track have gripped up with the cooler temps but it still looks fairly good so far.

Random Thought: if the Cup Series came to Iowa would it be 300 or 350 laps? Seems like 400 would be too long for the short attention span crowd.

Random Thought: if the Cup Series came to Iowa would it be 300 or 350 laps? Seems like 400 would be too long for the short attention span crowd.
I think 350 would get them to around three hours. 300 seems too short almost.

I think they need to suggest a little harder that Marco get the hell off the track, or at least drop to the back before the restart.

Dixon's gamble paying off huge.

Power's season is comical at this point.

This changes everything! a few things.

Man I wish they would put someone in the booth other than that meathead Tracy. He wants Bourdais to move over for Dixon but doesn't realize Bourdais is trying to pass Rahal for position.

I find it uncomfortable, if not downright dishonest and misleading, that IndyCar and its media partners (RACER, NBC) continue to gloss over his past as lightly as possible...

The Europe media blew the entire thing completely out of reality, strictly because Santino is an American. Vettel did far worse at Baku, got a 10 second penalty and everyone forgot about it. Why crucify Santino for the same offense, especially since the penalty in F1 is next to nothing?

If you see the video of the supposed "deadly assault" the two cars tires touched so lightly there was only a tiny, nearly imperceptible puff of smoke. If Santino had really belted him he would have gone flying, but the tire didn't even leave the ground. It was nothing, and about 1% as violent as Vettel clanging wheels with Hamilton under yellow at Baku. It was absolutely nothing and goes on all the time with next to no outrage. Don't believe me......watch the video.

The only time it matters is when an American does it.

So what did he do? He got pissed off and brushed wheels with his teammate. Neither car was even damaged outside of a coupe of tires getting scuffed up, and who died anyway? Unsporting, sure. Dangerous and worthy of capital punishment? Not hardly, not
as long as Vettel got away with it in the highest form of motorsport. If they had crucified Vettel, I'de say give it to Ferrucci, but I don't think either case was all that awful.

As far as being on the phone while in the car, yeah, that's supremely stupid., Why would you even have your phone a racecar anyway? The racist stuff? False claims of racism are so rampant you can't believe any of them without irrefutable evidence. It's the go-to play for destroying someone who has done nothing. The Jusie Smollet hoax has fostered a healthy degree of skepticism over things like this.

If he and his father's conduct was despicable over there, it's no reflection on how either are behaving now. Santino has hardly put a wheel wrong and has been racy as hell. I think it's better to talk about his redemption than his offending the euro snowflakes. He, or any other American, isn't going to get a fair shake over there anyway, so I'm glad he's getting one here.

As far as the media glossing over it, what's the point of "exposing" it. No one cares because he's behaving and racing here well. As long as he keeps his noise clean, he brings enough m9oney to fund an entire entry, so let's give him a chance.

I do have a little worry he is racing so close and so hard with so little experience as we head into Pocono. Hopefully he will have a clean race there and silence the critics again.

As far as the race itself, this series is getting to be pretty insane. That racing back and forth at 180mph was breathtaking.

Newgarden used Iowa to launch his title winning campaign, and it looks like he's got the momentum to keep it going.

Dixon? Holy cow, never give up, and never count Scott out. I've never seen him so lost and out to lunch, and he turned that into a second place. Now wonder he has so many championships.

I don’t think any of it has to do with being American. Dan Ticktum got raked over the coals for a lot of the same stuff.

I don’t think any of it has to do with being American. Dan Ticktum got raked over the coals for a lot of the same stuff.
I've never seen a guy be such a an ass like Ticktum. His spats on social media, his annoying ass girlfriend getting in on ****. Red Bull had enough of his nonsense and dropped him like a bad habit. Dude really is talented, but his mouth gets him in trouble before anything else. I hope him losing his ride is humbling to him and gets his act together.

I've never seen a guy be such a an ass like Ticktum.

"Entitled" is the word I'm hearing most.

Tictum passed half the field behind the safety car and speared himself and the other guy off the road in a bonafied deliberate crash. I'de say on the egregious scale that's not even in the same league as what Santino did.

However, Ticktum seems to keep pissing people off, which is not what you need if you are trying to get people's support and help. Like, how much crap would you stir up if your boss was Helmet Marko?

All of these guys are young, stupid and have so much belief in themselves that everyone else is always wrong, so they are going to do and say stupid things. We have seen this sort of thing over and over, especially with the really talented ones. We are probably lucky the Tictum incident gets get anyone hurt, but Santino didn't put a scratch on either car. Granted neither incident was excusable, but I see a huge difference between the two.

So, I think the whole Santino the horrible thing is a bit overblown. For one thing, the guy lost his drive and may as well be banned from all European racing, so that's price enough. Like, in Florida we allow convicted child molesters and murders to vote after they do their time, so I think we can allow Santino a break or two. He's paid his penalty, and he didn't molest or kill anyone.

The difference in the guy since he came here has been remarkable. Either he learned his lesson or he knows he is on his last chance, but either way the guy has raced extremely hard and stayed out of trouble. Apparently everyone likes him too, and he's a terrific interview. If he gets a decent haircut he might just be what the series needs.

I honestly can't remember a rookie coming in and running so consistently up front on the ovals, so there is something there. If he starts wrecking people I will change my mind, but so far he's been surprisingly good with no indication he's going to repeat his previous silliness. So, I really do think at this point he deserves a chance and there's no need for NBC or Indycar to dwell on it. Far better, as I say, to celebrate his redemption.

Back
Top Bottom