2019 Michigan -- Consumers Energy 400 -- Pre-Race Thread

They have opened up the top grove and although the low line is the fast line, it will be interesting to see if the trucks get up there and if the Xfinities use it. A number of cup drivers were curious to see if that happens in their interviews today. It could wake up sleepy Michigan.

I wasn't entertained at all with the June race, unlike the 1.5 milers where there IS a decent amount of passing with the 550 package, I though it was a parade in June, I hope the top lane opens up.

Would someone explain the advantage of not having the alternator hooked up? Would not having to turn the belt result in enough less demand on the engine to be competitively measurable?

Thanks.
They were “hooked up” and appear to be operating correctly.

Removing or modifying the coils eliminates the parasitic horsepower loss caused by the friction normally created by these components. The battery is not receiving electrons but you’re only out there for a few minutes.

1st in the A.M. practice
2019-harvick-michigan-practice-625x340.jpg

Removing or modifying the coils eliminates the parasitic horsepower loss caused by the friction normally created by these components. The battery is not receiving electrons but you’re only out there for a few minutes.
It’s pretty sad when the engine is so anemic that eliminating alternator draw could yield a noticeable performance advantage.

So obviously nothing that could have been left undone by mistake. Thanks.

Would someone explain the advantage of not having the alternator hooked up? Would not having to turn the belt result in enough less demand on the engine to be competitively measurable?

Thanks.

As others have said....eliminating the function of the alternator, the drag created from it charging reducing HP due to parasitic loss, “gives” that back.

It’s why underdrive pulley sets were all the rage years ago for street cars....spin the alt and w/p slower and make MOAR horsepower! Many a buttdyno felt the additional 1.25 ponies.

It’s science, it works, but with an engine baselining at 550 hp I find it hard to believe an extra 1 or 2 would in any way be quantifiable on the track. Disconnecting the oil pump? That would open up more for sure, but I doubt any team would give that one a go...

As others have said....eliminating the function of the alternator, the drag created from it charging reducing HP due to parasitic loss, “gives” that back.

It’s why underdrive pulley sets were all the rage years ago for street cars....spin the alt and w/p slower and make MOAR horsepower! Many a buttdyno felt the additional 1.25 ponies.

It’s science, it works, but with an engine baselining at 550 hp I find it hard to believe an extra 1 or 2 would in any way be quantifiable on the track. Disconnecting the oil pump? That would open up more for sure, but I doubt any team would give that one a go...
Supposedly a water pump driven cooling fan is worth 7 hp. So, not out of the question that alternator pull is parasitic on a 500hp mill.

It’s about hundredths of a second.

Before the rules changed, teams changed engine, transmission and rear gear oils for qualifying. 5W. They also repacked all the wheel bearings with lighter grease. After qualifying, they changed it all back again.

Lots of work ... drain the oil pan, the cooler and the dry sump tank. Undo the oil line fittings at the tank, the cooler and the oil pump where you might find 6 or 8 fittings. Drain all the hoses and re-connect them all. At some tracks there will also be a cooler for the rear gear.

People gettin’ soft these days.

Back
Top Bottom