2020 GEICO 500 Pre-Race Thread

one thing about it, I bet a whole bunch of drivers out there would love to get the chance to race an IMSA and an IndyCar, and a Nascar. Even if they were kinda junky, getting the opportunity to run all three has to be a fun deal.

it started to change? 37 cars wrecked on the first lap at Daytona in 1960..nope there wasn't restrictor plates. :laugh: They, the Super Speedways, have been since the very beginning, crowd pleasers and stands fillers. People love the element of danger involved and the Super Speedways produce edge of your seat spectating. Sure the so called "purists" thumb their noses up at the unholy spectacle, but their happy asses will be watching. ;)
StandOnit was not kidding:

Lineup for Dega. Whoo, they couldn't have stacked the deck this good if they tried

1592561876131.png

Could be interesting. The preacher probably wants his three to line up and try to drive away.

Reactions: Pat
Lineup for Dega. Whoo, they couldn't have stacked the deck this good if they tried

View attachment 47423
Toyota must be sponsoring this race.
What's the weather looking like?
Pretty nice. 91 deg only 10 percent chance of rain. Here is the 10 day.

Hendrick.
I don't know about that. There is someone around here still grousing around about Chase not getting a push in the closing laps awhile back. I think any of them will hook up if it is convienent for them, and even then sometimes that doesn't work and they screw their teammate...that's what make it fun as hell to watch IMO.

Reactions: Pat
Will they be able to hook up with the slippery tape bumper?

I find it odd that “random draw” hasn’t prevented top drivers from starting in the front. When was the last time several of those drivers from row 13 and lower started in the top 15?
The starting lineups are posted in every pre race thread..here is last weeks. 13-25 I believe is in a different draw.

1592586577800.png

According to Jayski:

The lineup was set by random draw based on owner points.

Starting lineup:
  • Positions 1-12: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 13-24: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 25-36: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 37-40: Open teams in order of owners points

I don't know about that. There is someone around here still grousing around about Chase not getting a push in the closing laps awhile back. I think any of them will hook up if it is convienent for them, and even then sometimes that doesn't work and they screw their teammate...that's what make it fun as hell to watch IMO.
Things like that is what I was pointing out to Chex in the Chase Elliot thread when I said Chase is better off not making a lot of enemies because it's hard enough to win in the cup series already...especially at Talladega where you need all the help you can get. ;)

I wonder how Nascar would be approaching this if there where more teams trying to make the race.

Like several, I don't remember this, must have been before Junior came in. That one show with him and Jimmie is about the only time they stuck together and that was only 2 of them

I wonder how Nascar would be approaching this if there where more teams trying to make the race.
I assume the same way they've handled it in the Truck series - the four unchartered teams with the most owner points get in. Everybody else goes home with some lovely parting gifts, including the Encyclopedia Britannica, a case of Turtle Wax, and a lifetime supply of Rice-A-Roni, the (DING DING) 'San Francisco treat'!

According to Jayski:

The lineup was set by random draw based on owner points.

Starting lineup:
  • Positions 1-12: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 13-24: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 25-36: Random draw from charter teams in those positions in owner points
  • Positions 37-40: Open teams in order of owners points
That explains it. Thanks.

Things like that is what I was pointing out to Chex in the Chase Elliot thread when I said Chase is better off not making a lot of enemies because it's hard enough to win in the cup series already...especially at Talladega where you need all the help you can get. ;)
I’ll take “making enemies” Chase over “punching bag” Chase. If he’s going down at least it’s fighting.

This will come off as old guy who yells at clouds but there was a time when every year the cars were going faster and they were still related by blood to cars that drove on our roads.

When a driver and his team had their car dialed in they could be mesmerizing as they found their groove and took off, no freight trains in sight.

Still love the ‘Dega but it will never be that good again.

This will come off as old guy who yells at clouds but there was a time when every year the cars were going faster and they were still related by blood to cars that drove on our roads.

When a driver and his team had their car dialed in they could be mesmerizing as they found their groove and took off, no freight trains in sight.

Still love the ‘Dega but it will never be that good again.
Many, many moons ago, before White Man cone this land, back when many tens of buffalo darken prairie, and countless pigeon blacken top of wigwam.

OK, so what exactly started to change was having a big one every restrictor plate race. I went to Daytona and Talladega in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There were plenty of races run without crashing 20 cars. One great example is Earnhardt's famous run at Talladega. I don't see how that could happen today.
I have family coming this weekend and we will he doing something, but I am sure we will not be watching the race and I won't feel like I am missing something...unless Blaney wins!
huh? They crashed a crap ton of cars during the 90's 2000s plate races.

Back
Top Bottom