2020 GEICO 500 Pre-Race Thread

OK, so what exactly started to change was having a big one every restrictor plate race. I went to Daytona and Talladega in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There were plenty of races run without crashing 20 cars. One great example is Earnhardt's famous run at Talladega. I don't see how that could happen today.
I have family coming this weekend and we will he doing something, but I am sure we will not be watching the race and I won't feel like I am missing something...unless Blaney wins!

Double file restarts. Honestly we didn’t have that many when it was still a single file restart game

Love this race, and all of its insanity on the track. The insanity outside of the track sucks. We must be better.

Talladega is normally the coolest place to see a race IMHO. You can camp out across the street in the huge area that I call "Sodom and Gamora" and while they do have a few police going around - about the only thing you can get arrested for is theft or murder.

Actually watching the race is fun since once all the cars go by there is time to get a fresh beer and talk a bit - then here they come again.

Reactions: Pat
Here’s what will be different Sunday when NASCAR Cup Series drivers compete in the Geico 500 than it was for the Daytona 500:
— The holes in the tapered spacer will decrease from 59/64ths of an inch in diameter to 57/64ths of an inch, decreasing horsepower from 550 to 500-510 for Daytona and Talladega.
— Addition of a lower main roll bar support, intrusion plate and upper main roll bar support bar (mandatory at Daytona and Talladega, optional elsewhere). This will hopefully keep the car from crushing on top of the driver, as it did in Newman’s accident.

— Elimination of aero ducts at superspeedway tracks. This will hopefully keep the cars from tandem drafting as much, plus should decrease the speed of the runs drivers get on one another. It also will make it more difficult to block.

— Oil reservoir tank or overflow expansion tank must contain a check valve at all tracks. This will keep oil from dumping out if the car is upside-down, as was seen after Newman’s car came to a stop.

— Updated window net mounting requirements. Newman’s window net was compromised during his accident, and NASCAR saw teams were doing things with the window net to potentially impact the car aerodynamically.

— Slip tape must be applied along the entire length of the lower rearward facing surfaces of the rear bumper cover and extension for Daytona and Talladega. This will decrease the chance of the car getting unstable if there is a push or a bump-draft. Most teams already were using it.

Here’s what will be different Sunday when NASCAR Cup Series drivers compete in the Geico 500 than it was for the Daytona 500:
— The holes in the tapered spacer will decrease from 59/64ths of an inch in diameter to 57/64ths of an inch, decreasing horsepower from 550 to 500-510 for Daytona and Talladega.
— Addition of a lower main roll bar support, intrusion plate and upper main roll bar support bar (mandatory at Daytona and Talladega, optional elsewhere). This will hopefully keep the car from crushing on top of the driver, as it did in Newman’s accident.

— Elimination of aero ducts at superspeedway tracks. This will hopefully keep the cars from tandem drafting as much, plus should decrease the speed of the runs drivers get on one another. It also will make it more difficult to block.

— Oil reservoir tank or overflow expansion tank must contain a check valve at all tracks. This will keep oil from dumping out if the car is upside-down, as was seen after Newman’s car came to a stop.

— Updated window net mounting requirements. Newman’s window net was compromised during his accident, and NASCAR saw teams were doing things with the window net to potentially impact the car aerodynamically.

— Slip tape must be applied along the entire length of the lower rearward facing surfaces of the rear bumper cover and extension for Daytona and Talladega. This will decrease the chance of the car getting unstable if there is a push or a bump-draft. Most teams already were using it.

Thanks for the info - between the aero thingy and the oil thingy we may see some blown engines today.

Know what? In rally, countries have lost races because crowds were out of control and on the course. Jerk the race from this pit, and be done with it. I am done with this ****. What's the nearest Air Force Base? Got some target practice for them....

What really got me --- 68 cars started the race.

I saw a race in the Denver area some years ago - it was on a 3/4th mile dirt track and it certainly wasn't Nascar - it was just a "run what you bring" race 100 lapper. There were station wagons out there. They put up a pretty good prize package and I believe they started 80 cars. So many that the lead cars were passing the rear-enders on the first lap.

They told the drivers that they couldn't throw a caution flag for every "racing deal" and they should just stay in their cars and they would throw a caution flag at the halfway point to clean up the track. The fastest car lapped the field but ran out of gas - I have no idea which car won.

I’ll take “making enemies” Chase over “punching bag” Chase. If he’s going down at least it’s fighting.
If someone was trying to use him for a punching bag I would expect him to stand up for himself also.

We may get a little extra broadcasting again today. As long as they get the race in then I'm good with it.

I'm not sure how this will make it more difficult to block. My question is, will it discourage drivers from trying?
Now that we’ve established that top 5’s and 10’s don’t matter anymore, why would they bother?

We could start a thread.

NASCAR doesn't want this to happen again so they will take every precaution they can.

At what point does it stop being luck and start being NASCAR being run by retarded chimps with rabies?

This will give the drivers a little more time to spend in the bus with their family on Fathers day. The kids are probably loving this and are hoping it doesn't stop raining. :)

TalladegaLigthning.jpg

Back
Top Bottom