2020 GEICO 500 Pre-Race Thread

My TV guide is showing Tamron Hall in the time slot for the race on FOX. I guess I get to white knuckle it until race time. Re-run of Dega on FS-1 at the same time.

My TV guide is showing Tamron Hall in the time slot for the race on FOX. I guess I get to white knuckle it until race time. Re-run of Dega on FS-1 at the same time.
DISH shows local programming on FOX but the GEICO 500 on FS1 doesn't look like a re-run

Looking at predicted rain to move in around ~4:00 pm EST. So ~3:00pm CST (local track time).

I prefer the TV experience now compared to what it was when I was a kid. I think the presentation might have been better then and the overall on air talent then surpasses currently but I'll tell you HD and the fact that I dont have to flip multiple channels to find the race ( ESPN, CBS, ABC, TNT, TNN, TBS- when Braves baseball wasnt on, ESPN2) outweigh the good ol days. Its either Fox, FS1 for that part of the season and then usually its NBCSN to finish it up. I think what we have now is a hell of a lot better than the previous TV arrangement, I'll take the bastardized start times as long as I can get HD with whenever the race starts on my TV

Are you implying that we WOULDN'T have races in HD if we had the old TV deals? Also, I don't recall there being any races on TNT until AFTER the TV deal. We had at most five channels per season then, and four now. As I said, at least the cable channels then were basic cable channels. Just another one of the ways the TV networks help recoup all the money they pay NASCAR is by putting most of the races on "Premium" cable channels to raise viewership for them and force people to upgrade their cable packages. Brian France got the goldmine, us fans got the shaft. I don't know personally, but I have been told there is no CHEAP cord-cutter way to get FS1.

You haven’t seen the latest dispatches ...
Dearest Mother,

The battle raged on all night long. We fought our way into the gigantic concrete edifice to hate and were able to drop the noose in the right bunker.

I have earned a promotion to oberleutnant. Expect to be home sometime in the fall.

Your loving son,

Rhett

So I dial up FS1 as per my guide to watch race and it’s Bob Ross bowling.

OK it’s on FOX Network.

We have a man who is broadcasting who went through “similar” acts of hatred when rumors spread that he was gay. You couldn’t go to a track without seeing or hearing derogatory language towards Jeff, even people dragging dolls of Jeff behind their cars and golf carts. Threats made all the same. Then, to my memory, NASCAR simply let it feed the fan rivalry between Dale and Jeff.

Now, we are witnessing worse and NASCAR stepped up to the plate.

I wonder what Jeff ever went through emotionally and if he ever felt physically threatened by insane fans out for blood.

Are you implying that we WOULDN'T have races in HD if we had the old TV deals? Also, I don't recall there being any races on TNT until AFTER the TV deal. We had at most five channels per season then, and four now. As I said, at least the cable channels then were basic cable channels. Just another one of the ways the TV networks help recoup all the money they pay NASCAR is by putting most of the races on "Premium" cable channels to raise viewership for them and force people to upgrade their cable packages. Brian France got the goldmine, us fans got the shaft. I don't know personally, but I have been told there is no CHEAP cord-cutter way to get FS1.
I didnt imply no HD at all. I just think its easier for me as a fan to find the races as opposed to yesteryear. really only 4 channels to look for and they are split in half by the part of the year they are in. TNT had races before Fox pretty sure.

I wonder what Jeff ever went through emotionally and if he ever felt physically threatened by insane fans out for blood.

Yeah, I remember when Jeff won at Dega and they were throwing bear cans at his car - I talked to a buddy who was at the race and I mentioned that I was surprised that Dega fans would throw away half full beer cans (in order to have the weight to get them over the fence) - and he told me that most of those beer cans didn't have beer in them ;)

Back
Top Bottom