2020 IndyCar Miscellaneous

Kimball isn't a bad choice for a team like Foyt, actually a good one IMO. Maybe them having multiple experienced drivers around now will help even just a bit, rather than them usually having one or zero experienced vets in recent years. And at the least Charlie getting the full-time seat is way better than Kellett getting it.

My first thought.

lZsxj83.jpg

HPD killed the Alonso to Andretti deal:

Will a Chevy team pick up this opportunity to have Alonso in the show?

Holy ****. There is truly no love lost in this relationship. RACER also reports that Alonso was to stay with Andretti after the 500 and run some of the road courses. Major loss for the series.

There just aren't enough good Chevy options unless Ed Carpenter takes up the opportunity of a lifetime for a fourth car (he's been adamant about not doing four this year) or there's some weird, ugly, awkward McLaren reunion. Penske won't expand. Wtf else is he going to do - run with a Carlin, DragonSpeed, Juncos?

Carlin maybe? :D
Best possibility IMO, but Carlin has not even confirmed their driver(s) for the season.

A third car for them would be cool, but I'm not sure if its viable for them. DragonSpeed I think is committing to Hanley, and Ed with four cars is a bit much IMO.

Foyt and Carlin might be Alonso's only options for the 500. Foyt and Alonso working with TK and Kimball would be a good fit, both are really good at Indy.

Best possibility IMO, but Carlin has not even confirmed their driver(s) for the season.

A third car for them would be cool, but I'm not sure if its viable for them. DragonSpeed I think is committing to Hanley, and Ed with four cars is a bit much IMO.

Foyt and Carlin might be Alonso's only options for the 500. Foyt and Alonso working with TK and Kimball would be a good fit, both are really good at Indy.
Carlin prepared Alonso's car last year, and their two regular cars got a DNQ as well.
It can only get better.

I struggle to see Alonso taking a gig with a team that is really not a surefire contender and in that regard Honda holds the cards. Beyond Penske and ECR for the ovals Chevy doesn't have anywhere close to the depth that Honda does. Maybe McLaren SPM will change that but they still have a lot to prove. If Ed won't run a fourth car for Kyle Busch I don't see him suddenly making one available for Alonso either. Foyt still do have a decent oval program but I'm thinking any third 500 seat they open up has Bourdais' name on it.

Might just be best to get working on 2021. Helio's Penske contract expires after 2020 I believe.

If he found a team that painted the spare the right color the first time and remembered the steering wheel that would at least be a better start. :D
Still, those errors beat trying to mount the steering wheel on the axle, and bolting the tire to the steering column.

See? Plenty of room left to screw up.

Cool move by HPD here, but also strengthens the argument that Pro 2000 needn't be a part of the Road to Indy.

I hope his first IndyCar start won't be his last.

I'm disappointed Bourdais only gets to run 4 races, though.
If he does reasonably well enough he'll be back in some capacity in 2021. Whether it be as a fourth car or replacing Power or Pagenaud - there's been a lot of talk already that Simon could wind up with McLaren next year, re-joining Schmidt Peterson as well as Gil de Ferran.

Kinda disappointed Seb has a light slate myself, but I suppose it's always better than when he was looking at 0 races not too long ago this offseason.

I can **** with this. Would love to see Nasr get the bulk of the schedule in the #31. Maybe Daly can get in the #59 for the other four oval races.

I'd keep Nasr and Sette Camara to see who could perform out of the two. Especially, with TK on the way out, this is a great way to keep the fans of the Latin American fan base involved.

Chilton of course will be Chilton, nothing spectacular, but doesn't wreck a lot of cars as a steady hand.

ECR had some livery reveals:

I'd keep Nasr and Sette Camara to see who could perform out of the two. Especially, with TK on the way out, this is a great way to keep the fans of the Latin American fan base involved.

Chilton of course will be Chilton, nothing spectacular, but doesn't wreck a lot of cars as a steady hand.

ECR had some livery reveals:

Nasr has a lot of potential at the IndyCar level. Sette Camara is supposedly deciding between going part-time in IndyCar or going back to F2 again. I think he could at least be decent but it's a tough team for someone young and inexperienced IMO. And Motorsport.com did say they're in talks with Daly for the oval races Max dropped so he could wind up full-time.

Love the #20 car. Most of the liveries I've seen so far have been terrific. RLL killed it too.

Is practice still halted or is my streaming feed hung up? I've been seeing the same grandstand since I returned from lunch 15 minutes ago. T&S shows a handful of cars with one lap each but doesn't say which session. Of those, most are over 10 minutes, so I assume the bottom dropped out.

Is practice still halted or is my streaming feed hung up? I've been seeing the same grandstand since I returned from lunch 15 minutes ago. T&S shows a handful of cars with one lap each but doesn't say which session. Of those, most are over 10 minutes, so I assume the bottom dropped out.
First practice ended at 1 and they hopefully get back going when the second starts at 2:30. There hasn’t been much on track since it’s too cold for Firestone; they require a combined ambient and track temp of at least 100 and both have been hovering in the 40s all day so far.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/02/11/jimmie-johnson-fernando-alonso-scott-dixon-indycar-nascar/

Jimmie Johnson says he wants to race INDYCAR in 2021 after NASCAR

Bruce Martin

AUSTIN, Texas – As seven-time NASCAR Cup champion Jimmie Johnson prepares for his final Daytona 500, he already is thinking about his “bucket list” in 2021.

transparent-320x50.gif

Atop Johnson’s bucket list after retiring from full-time NASCAR competition this year? The chance to drive an Indy car and potentially compete in a handful of NTT INDYCAR Series races next season.

Johnson, who has said many times over the past two years he is interested in racing road and street courses in INDYCAR, attended the first day of preseason testing for INDYCAR at Circuit of the Americas (COTA). He attended the preseason driver’s meeting and then spent the rest of a rainy Tuesday as guest of Arrow McLaren SP’s Zak Brown, who also oversees McLaren’s F1 team and helped broker two-time champion Fernando Alonso’s two attempts at the Indianapolis 500.

“I’m here to look around and have some fun,” Johnson, 44, told NBC’s Leigh Diffey during a taping for NASCAR America. “I have some great friends here in the Austin area. I have great friends here in this garage area, including my friends at McLaren. I did the Formula One swap with Fernando Alonso a few years ago. I just wanted to check it out.”

At the conclusion of his interview with NASCAR America, Johnson took a few moments to speak to NBC Sports and offer his interest level in giving some INDYCAR road course races a try in 2021.

“At the end of last year when I knew I was done with 38 races a year, I got so excited,” Johnson said. “I have a lot of things I want to try, including INDYCAR and sports car racing in 2021, and now I can consider those as my ‘bucket list.’

After attending the preseason Drivers Meeting, Johnson spoke individually with some of the top drivers from the NTT INDYCAR Series. Many of them are his longtime friends.

transparent-320x50.gif

“Jimmie has been talking about it for a little while and looking at different options,” five-time NTT INDYCAR champion Scott Dixon told NBC Sports. “He’s been super keen coming to INDYCAR races. That is just him. He’s a racer and wants to try something else. It’s good to see him in the paddock and try to do something. He is a legend of the sport; but also, a really good person. That is what I respect about him the most.

“Jimmie and I talk a lot about random stuff. We always text each other and have phone calls, too. Outside of Kyle Larson, he is the guy I talk to the most over on that side.”

Bourdais was 1st and Nasr 10th when they turned the cars over to Kellett and Sette Camara for the rest of the day, before track conditions were at their peak.

P7CQ922.png

Back
Top Bottom