2020 IndyCar Miscellaneous

Reports: Texas says it won’t run IndyCar opener without fans

“The reason it is a consideration for NASCAR promoters is that the promoter receives 65 percent of the sizable TV rights fee. In IndyCar, the promoter does not receive any television rights fees. That is a basic issue that causes IndyCar, even in its best days, to not be nearly as desirable to a promoter and why you will always see a turnover in the events and schedule for IndyCar.”

Sounds like we’ll be able to open up this summer, but the methods are extreme lol. My buddy who works for the Columbus BlueJackets was telling me about the tracking app both Google and Apple are building. What it does is use you Bluetooth to see if you have been in contact with anyone who tests positive over the last 10 days.

Basically all concerts, games, large gatherings will require you to have this app to enter. Pretty much we’re all going to be tracked digitally to ensure we aren’t infecting people

“The reason it is a consideration for NASCAR promoters is that the promoter receives 65 percent of the sizable TV rights fee. In IndyCar, the promoter does not receive any television rights fees. That is a basic issue that causes IndyCar, even in its best days, to not be nearly as desirable to a promoter and why you will always see a turnover in the events and schedule for IndyCar.”

I could see Texas moving back to the fall to run with NASCAR if that’s what it takes to get a solid gate. It’s no secret IndyCar events are screwed without a sizable gate (the biggest reason why ovals constantly fail in the series, with few exceptions).

This series is screwed if there’s no season at all, though.

Hadn’t heard much about Motegi since IndyCar had to switch to the road course for the 2011 race there after the earthquake damaged the oval. Not sure what they hold on the oval now, if anything, but Sato did a demo run on it after winning the 500 so it must be in at least decent shape.

1587128688391.png

This is about the worst time I can imagine trying to start a race team, but best of luck to them regardless. Gary Trout fielded a CART entry a few times across 1988 and 1989.

It’ll be a while before NASCAR confirms a June 7 date but if it does wind up being Atlanta it’s hard to see this race going forward as scheduled. I have a lot of doubts about Richmond and Road America too.

This is about the worst time I can imagine trying to start a race team, but best of luck to them regardless. Gary Trout fielded a CART entry a few times across 1988 and 1989.

Buy low. If, they are able to land Hagerty, I think they will be in good shape. Car insurance companies have been banking on the COVID-19 outbreak.

Buy low. If, they are able to land Hagerty, I think they will be in good shape. Car insurance companies have been banking on the COVID-19 outbreak.
I certainly hope you’re right. I think Enerson brings something of a budget himself, although I think last year there was some holdup with he and the series because one of his sponsors was in the CBD business. But he’s been able to fill in with DCR and Carlin before so he has to bring something to the table.

At any rate, it’s good to see more people looking at the series with an interest in team ownership. There’s been a decent amount of that recently.

Then Roger better expect every other track to hold out for similar breaks.
It can certainly open up a can of worms, but besides the Speedway itself and Long Beach the series has no more enduring relationship than the one with TMS and Gossage, and keeping an oval on the schedule would be of priority to the series (six figures is also already discounted from what most road courses/street circuits are paying). What the other tracks all have more of is time, and given comments from Road America management recently it seems road courses believe they'll be better able to welcome fans with adequate social distancing guidelines in effect.

With IMS able to host the Independence Day weekend races with or without fans, it sounds like Alonso is still on for the Indy GP. The idea that we could’ve seen Jenson at Road America hurts, though.

I’d be seriously surprised if Vettel comes here to run Indy Car.... I would however be on a plane to Daytona if he did the 24 in January. (That is of course if there is a 24 Hr race in January)

Texas has a gigantic grandstand. They could keep two seats empty between each fan without sending anyone home.
Part of the problem with that is it requires opening three times as many grandstands as they've used for this race in the past. That's three times the overhead costs for the same amount of ticket income. Also, enforcing the spacing would be impractical, esp. in the bathrooms.

Good news:

Good to see they managed to reschedule it. I’d like to go but Green-Savoree requires a decision sometime in June on whether or not to defer tickets to 2021. Given the possibility and uncertainty of any second wave in the fall that probably makes the most sense to do. It’ll be interesting to see as a championship finale regardless.

Oh ****, it might happen ladies and gentlemen.

An F1 budget cap? Man, this could be phenomenal for racing man. C'mon please Fiat, say yes. Rebrand it as Alfa all I care. Imagine, Ferrari able to participate in LMDh in WEC and IndyCar.

Please, please make this happen.

It’s usually very hard to take Ferrari seriously when it comes to new program discussions as it’s much more often a weak bargaining chip used against F1, but in the context of an F1 budget cap and trying to find places to run parallel programs for existing employees it might be more likely than ever (same goes for any potential LMH/LMDh effort).

Bringing back chassis competition doesn’t seem likely to me but in general it sounds like Mario knew some things we don’t when he was interviewed earlier this week.

I have no feelings regarding Ferrari but I'm always glad to see a new manufacturer come into a series.
In the late 1950's, at about age 9, I had a Strombecker slot car racing set. The cars were fairly large, probably 1/32 scale. The blue one was a D-Type Jaguar and the red one was a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa. Both were beautiful but I always preferred the Ferrari. If your timing was just right, you could lay the rear fender against the guard rail and stand on the gas... LOL. It was the beginning of my love for Ferrari, a love that grew exponentially during my teenage years, and continues today. My two older brothers liked electric trains, but at age 14, my dog was named Enzo.

Anyway, I've always been cynical about the enforcement of budget caps for race teams affiliated with diversified companies. Still am, but willing to see how it goes. And I'd love to see Ferrari in IndyCar and/or Le Mans prototypes.

Strombecker Slot Cars.jpg

Maybe Vettel and Alonso can be teammates for the Ferrari Indy Car team. I mean salaries aside of course

Back
Top Bottom