2020 IndyCar Miscellaneous

Baltimore, Sao Paulo, Oklahoma City...
Three years ago:

Not sure what would’ve changed since then, I can’t read it, but I wouldn’t call it likely at all.

This is a positive development. Given some comments by Dan Andersen recently Lights budgets are somewhere in the $800-900K range, so some additional funding was still required to be brought or found. The tests are a pretty big benefit as well.

With healthy prize packages already in place across the three series, the Indy Pro 2000 champion’s scholarship is currently valued at $609,245. This will now increase to a guaranteed full season contract with an Indy Lights team of the driver’s choice. The agreement will cover all 2021 series-sanctioned race and test events from the season-opener to the finale, entry and test day fees and Cooper tires (per the allowable number of sets).

In addition, the 2020 Indy Pro 2000 champion will be awarded a test with an NTT INDYCAR SERIES team following completion of the 2021 Indy Lights season.

Similarly, the 2020 USF2000 champion will receive a scholarship valued at $328,225, guaranteeing a full season contract with an Indy Pro 2000 team of the driver’s choice including all 2021 race and test events, entry and test day fees and allowable number of sets of Cooper tires. The scholarship value will be increased to include an Indy Lights test at the conclusion of the 2021 Indy Pro 2000 season.

Even clicking all the way through on that, it's too small for me to read and my browser won't enlarge it. Does it have a Tulsa-style disclaimer about not holding the track or IndyCar responsible if you get sick?

Even clicking all the way through on that, it's too small for me to read and my browser won't enlarge it. Does it have a Tulsa-style disclaimer about not holding the track or IndyCar responsible if you get sick?
No disclaimer; they recommend those in at-risk groups stay home and said they’re rearranging seating and supplying masks and sanitizer. And account holders have until July 6th to go online and verify how much of their order they want to retain.

It sounds like a lot of this is still in the works and they want to get an idea of how many people still plan on attending.

Capacity reduced again to 25%, face coverings required, ticket sales end this Friday.

50% was always crazy ambitious.

Looks like the Portland and Laguna Seca double headers might be off the schedule due to corona being so high on that coast. Portland is pretty much on fire anyway and it's probably too dangerous to be around all that chaos.

https://racer.com/2020/07/23/more-changes-expected-to-2020-indycar-schedule/

There's talk of making some of the remaining rounds double headers. I don't see what would be wrong with doubling up on Gateway. That one is always a great race. The oval races have been sizzling this year. Hell, they could go back to Iowa and I'de be fine with that too. Since attendance doesn't matter, why not Phoenix or Milwaukee? The only reason we don't have more ovals is the attendance at some of them have been poor, but since we can't have spectators anyway, why not add a few? Do what IndyCar does best.

Looks like the Portland and Laguna Seca double headers might be off the schedule due to corona being so high on that coast. Portland is pretty much on fire anyway and it's probably too dangerous to be around all that chaos.

https://racer.com/2020/07/23/more-changes-expected-to-2020-indycar-schedule/

There's talk of making some of the remaining rounds double headers. I don't see what would be wrong with doubling up on Gateway. That one is always a great race. The oval races have been sizzling this year. Hell, they could go back to Iowa and I'de be fine with that too. Since attendance doesn't matter, why not Phoenix or Milwaukee? The only reason we don't have more ovals is the attendance at some of them have been poor, but since we can't have spectators anyway, why not add a few? Do what IndyCar does best.
I'm always on board for more ovals in IndyCar.

Portland is pretty much on fire anyway and it's probably too dangerous to be around all that chaos.

There is a section of downtown Portland (think several city blocks) that is in a continual state of chaos and shutdown due to protest activity. The track is nowhere near this. I live much closer to the nightly protests than PIR. It is not remotely dangerous to be in Portland unless one is motivated to take part.

This is all pandemic related. Public policies and attitudes are not the same on the west coast as they are in some other parts of the country. There is no way this event will be held with substantial attendance this year.

There is a section of downtown Portland (think several city blocks) that is in a continual state of chaos and shutdown due to protest activity. The track is nowhere near this. I live much closer to the nightly protests than PIR. It is not remotely dangerous to be in Portland unless one is motivated to take part.
I suspect it's that way in most of the areas where the media is highlighting protests. Unless you live or work in the immediate area, you have to seek them out, and in most cases don't resemble whatever agenda the politicians and networks are pushing.

Lack of attendance is a different matter.

Bring back a race to New Hampshire. Limited covid-19 in these here parts, enough that NASCAR will have fans in Loudon this weekend. Solid track for Indycar and fills a void in the Northeast left by Pocono's departure.

Back
Top Bottom