2021 IndyCar Miscellaneous Thread

RoGro has officially signed. That makes a trio of Frenchman with Grojsean, Pagenaud, and Bourdais.

He will race all the road courses, a driver for the ovals is TBD.

Good deal. He seems very excited about it for sure. Hopefully he can get that hand fully healed before long and get up to speed as quick as possible.

The 2021 grid is looking pretty strong.

Good deal. He seems very excited about it for sure. Hopefully he can get that hand fully healed before long and get up to speed as quick as possible.

The 2021 grid is looking pretty strong.

Judging by Guaranteed Rate being on the car from Coyne, I really think Ware is a partial owner. I see more Coyne based sponsors on the car more than anything else.

I have zero doubts about Romain's pace, but the lack of power steering in IndyCar compared to F1 is my biggest concern during his transition.

RoGro has officially signed. That makes a trio of Frenchman with Grojsean, Pagenaud, and Bourdais.

He will race all the road courses, a driver for the ovals is TBD.

Cool, I didn't even know he was in contention for an IndyCar seat.

There were no real world tracks in GT1. Laguna Seca appeared in every game since GT2.

Judging by Guaranteed Rate being on the car from Coyne, I really think Ware is a partial owner. I see more Coyne based sponsors on the car more than anything else.

I have zero doubts about Romain's pace, but the lack of power steering in IndyCar compared to F1 is my biggest concern during his transition.
Yep, and it sounds like Cody will bring Nurtec whenever he gets in the car. They’re hoping for 5-6 races in the third car too.

Is Ferrucci running 20 NASCAR races in addition to IndyCar or has he switched to stock car racing?
I think it’s like 20 Xfinity races and no IndyCar.
So far it's just NASCAR. There's still the possibility he could come back, especially for the 500, if the funding is found for it but that doesn't sound like it's in the works. Coyne said he would run Santino again if he could.

I'm not sure if he's bringing a smaller budget to Sam Hunt for the Xfinity races or they have enough built-in sponsorship and support from TRD to run him there, but towards the end of 2020 it was apparent he wouldn't be able to bring the $2-3M he was carrying each year from his Cly-Del backers. Before things changed for the better, Andretti were operating under the impression DHL wouldn't be retained and Santino was actually offered the #28 if he could bring funding. He couldn't, and DHL returned with RHR, so that cleared that up.

I'm shocked.
Cancelling my order for a 488 as I type this.

Yeah, anything where Ferrari can't build their own chassis I don't see as remotely likely anytime soon. On a broader level I don't see anyone not currently involved joining IndyCar or F1 in the near future. Maybe NASCAR can grab one new brand but it's a tough environment to try to pull that off.

I have a feeling that Ferrucci is going to make a fool out of himself on the NASCAR side, and when he's done over there crashing stuff, there won't be much interest or need for him in IndyCar again.

Cancelling my order for a 488 as I type this.

Yeah, anything where Ferrari can't build their own chassis I don't see as remotely likely anytime soon. On a broader level I don't see anyone not currently involved joining IndyCar or F1 in the near future. Maybe NASCAR can grab one new brand but it's a tough environment to try to pull that off.
If the Lotus deal was not botched so badly in 2012, I could have seen them stick around.

I agree, I do not see any new manufacturers getting into the game now. Even with the addition of hybridization, I doubt any new takers will come about.

I still cannot believe FCA has not pushed Alfa in some form or fashion with how they are struggling sales wise... Oh, I'm sorry Stellantis. Nobody is going to race for ****s and giggles anymore, it has to serve a purpose.

I have yet to see an NBA or NFL player drive a Kia or Hyundai. There are plenty of people our age thst if Hyundai and Kia merged into the IndyCar/NASCAR crowd, they would receive a lot of interest...

If the Lotus deal was not botched so badly in 2012, I could have seen them stick around.

I agree, I do not see any new manufacturers getting into the game now. Even with the addition of hybridization, I doubt any new takers will come about.

I still cannot believe FCA has not pushed Alfa in some form or fashion with how they are struggling sales wise... Oh, I'm sorry Stellantis. Nobody is going to race for ****s and giggles anymore, it has to serve a purpose.

I have yet to see an NBA or NFL player drive a Kia or Hyundai. There are plenty of people our age thst if Hyundai and Kia merged into the IndyCar/NASCAR crowd, they would receive a lot of interest...
Lowkey a lot of manufacturers deciding to go sports car racing hurts everyone else’s odds when pretty much everyone is doing a rules refresh at the same time. That’s probably what Hyundai does too.

If the series asked manufacturers simply to build and supply engines for ~6 entries that may be more enticing, but they strive more for a commercial partner who’s going to activate and spend money in other ways beyond engine supply and that probably only hurts their chances.

Lowkey a lot of manufacturers deciding to go sports car racing hurts everyone else’s odds when pretty much everyone is doing a rules refresh at the same time. That’s probably what Hyundai does too.

If the series asked manufacturers simply to build and supply engines for ~6 entries that may be more enticing, but they strive more for a commercial partner who’s going to activate and spend money in other ways beyond engine supply and that probably only hurts their chances.
Your logic kills all the fun for me.

I didn't know individual races had owners.
Some tracks do their own thing but much of the schedule is a small business group entering into an agreement with a track or city and then running and promoting the event. Besides Penske the biggest one is Green Savoree, who run the St. Pete, Toronto, and Portland events. I think they both run and own Mid-Ohio as well.

I do expect Romain to be one of the more boom-or-bust guys in the series this year, I think some flashes of brilliance and some moments of brain fade are to be expected. In this particular instance it sounded like he get on the throttle earlier as he would in F1 and in this car it broke loose and he adjusted for the rest of the day.

By the end of the day everyone was within a second of the top so a fairly competitive day from all involved.

McLaren flexing on people I guess. Can’t say I’ve seen aero rakes in IndyCar anytime recently.

McLaren flexing on people I guess. Can’t say I’ve seen aero rakes in IndyCar anytime recently.

I wonder what is their to gain on a chassis that has been around for almost a decade?

I know the UAK18 spec has some slight changes like the undertray is universal, but other than that I wonder what is there to gain out of the aero rakes?

I wonder what is their to gain on a chassis that has been around for almost a decade?

I know the UAK18 spec has some slight changes like the undertray is universal, but other than that I wonder what is there to gain out of the aero rakes?
I’d guess part of it is verifying data from their sims and models are correct. And then maybe just playing with front wing angles and wickers - there’s always something to gain through setups. Definitely not something I expected to see though, and hopefully they don’t get too crazy with it. The last thing you want to see is a bunch of F1 aero contraptions running around.

Back
Top Bottom