2022-23 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

-49 F tonight here with windchill.

• Wow
Reactions: sdj
  • Haha
You betcha!! This is my kind weather! Get up to temps of mid-60s and they go to 80 during the day. Just right to work outside and not to hot. Great sleeping weather.

61 here this morning at 7 a.m. Temperature now at 10:30 a.m., 75 degrees and sunny. Not too warm and not too cool, just right. Slight breeze. Lovely day.

Bad here in Florida also, 59 am 85 pm. :p
High of 30 during the day today, down to 17 at night. Not a lot of snow after all.
IMG_20230226_150417.jpg

Another 1.2” of rain yesterday.
That puts us a little over 20” of rain since Jan. 1st.
Thunderstorms forecasted today around 9am.

• Wow
Another 1.2” of rain yesterday.
That puts us a little over 20” of rain since Jan. 1st.
Thunderstorms forecasted today around 9am.
The question is, are the reservoirs refilling with all this rain and snow melting? Seems somewhere I saw an article stating the runoff was going to the sea rather than storage.
The last two years, or more, all we've heard is how low the water storage for LA has been plus a never ending group of photos of Lake Powell and Hoover Dam storage so low the generators are unusable.
It has been over two months since we saw any rain here. My grass is dried up and the trees look peaked due to lack of water. Our concern is the trees surviving after the trauma they endured during Hurricane Ian. The largest live oak tree lost fifty percent of its growth and the arborist said trees losing thirty percent of their growth usually survive but fifty percent could be a problem. He said we'll know in two years as intakes that long for a large tree to give up the ghost if it isn't going to survive.
While I sit here wondering about my oak trees surviving I should be more mindful of the poor souls in California that are enduring the flood waters and high snowfalls in areas where this is more of a phenomenon than annual occurrence. :(

The question is, are the reservoirs refilling with all this rain and snow melting? Seems somewhere I saw an article stating the runoff was going to the sea rather than storage.
The last two years, or more, all we've heard is how low the water storage for LA has been plus a never ending group of photos of Lake Powell and Hoover Dam storage so low the generators are unusable.
It has been over two months since we saw any rain here. My grass is dried up and the trees look peaked due to lack of water. Our concern is the trees surviving after the trauma they endured during Hurricane Ian. The largest live oak tree lost fifty percent of its growth and the arborist said trees losing thirty percent of their growth usually survive but fifty percent could be a problem. He said we'll know in two years as intakes that long for a large tree to give up the ghost if it isn't going to survive.
While I sit here wondering about my oak trees surviving I should be more mindful of the poor souls in California that are enduring the flood waters and high snowfalls in areas where this is more of a phenomenon than annual occurrence. :(
The reservoirs are getting some much needed water.
I saw some footage of the Kern river overflowing its banks.
After decades of on and off drought, the governor woke up (a little bit.) Too little, too late?
The storm we saw yesterday was much warmer that the storms that left behind record snowfall in the local mountains. Worry now is that the warmer rains will melt the snow in the lower elevations, potentially causing flooding and mudslides.
More warmer storms forecasted for next week.

Back
Top Bottom