2022 Daytona 500 pre-race thread

The Biff is back

1644585993394.png

I understand the gap between the clash and 500 but man it seems like Nascar has lost some steam with the off week. Either way I'll be tuned in

So, just a pre-race thought....NASCAR has had the courage to change so much in the last couple of years. Why in the hell do we set the field this year with the Duels (other than the front row)? This isn't the year to do this with the new car and the parts concerns.......why didn't they just dump it? Gustafson all but admitted that they will just ride around on NASCAR Radio. When car counts are not an issue, I kind of like the novelty....but again, this isn't the year.

I understand the gap between the clash and 500 but man it seems like Nascar has lost some steam with the off week. Either way I'll be tuned in
Not for me personally. The wait has made me want the 500 more. All last night I kept wishing the race was on instead of pop culture’s football game. It made me appreciate that as much as the Daytona 500 is as popular as it is, it’s ours. It’s our niche, and I’ll wait for however long for this race because 1. It’s freaking awesome and 2.) it signals the start to NASCAR season. I watched the 89 500 last night, I might watch a few more today after work. Let’s go. It’s Daytona 500 week.

The Biff has been formally announced this A.M.

There are four spots remaining for non-chartered cars, known as "open" cars. Those six drivers — Greg Biffle (NY Racing, not announced yet but expected to enter), Noah Gragson (Beard Motorsports), Kaz Grala (The Money Team Racing), Timmy Hill (Motorsports Business Management), Jacques Villeneuve (Team Hezeberg) and JJ Yeley (MBM) — will be split among the fields for the qualifying races ("the duels") on Thursday.

Reactions: Pat
So, just a pre-race thought....NASCAR has had the courage to change so much in the last couple of years. Why in the hell do we set the field this year with the Duels (other than the front row)? This isn't the year to do this with the new car and the parts concerns.......why didn't they just dump it? Gustafson all but admitted that they will just ride around on NASCAR Radio. When car counts are not an issue, I kind of like the novelty....but again, this isn't the year.

Because its part of making the 500 an event, did they not show that at the clash? If it didn't have this qualifying procedure and the twin races it would be "just another" race.

NY Racing will be at Daytona with Greg Biffle at the wheel:

I see its an RCR prepared car with a HMS motor. Dang how many RCR cars they have in the race? 2 Petty/GMS, 2 RCR. Are Kaulig and Trackhouse still getting stuff from them as well?

Because it sells tickets.

Hard to believe a Nascar crew chief would say that. ;)

Two of my favorite things on tv every year and only 1 week apart is the Super Bowl and the Daytona 500.
Two of my favorites are the opening of the NASCAR points season and the Great Backyard Bird Count, and they're usually the SAME weekend. :) Count some birds, watch some Trucks; counts some birds, watch some Xfinity; count some birds, watch some Cup; maybe count some more birds. 🐦🦆🦅🦉

2 cars are missing the race and they are giving points out for the duels???? Tear up your car? Too bad.

Good point.

The Duels lost their luster years ago imo.

Completely agree. Those Duel races were once a reason to take off work and start some day drinking. Races with purpose and Go, or Go Home implications. They were unfortunately neutered years ago removing the excitement they once generated. Damn shame.

Completely agree. Those Duel races were once a reason to take off work and start some day drinking. Races with purpose and Go, or Go Home implications. They were unfortunately neutered years ago removing the excitement they once generated. Damn shame.
They give points to the top 10 finishers, might decide who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

They give points to the top 10 finishers, might decide who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.
Based on multiple interviews I’ve heard ahead of Daytona, crew chiefs REALLY don’t want drivers taking chances with their cars in the duel. Yes there are points to be had but most will want to use this as a large pack practice session and stay out of trouble. Winning a spot on the front row via qualifying may be more important than ever this year. Gotta believe those two cars will make their way to the deep rear of their respective qualifier race fields rather quickly.

Back
Top Bottom