2022 Daytona 500 pre-race thread

What an uneventful practice. I tenember back when 3-wide was normal

Looks like it is time for Rev to start in on the ALL NEW Fords :biggrin:

1644971305454.png

You really dont understand why they tried it?
No, because it was obvious before practice started that NASCAR wouldn't allow crazy skew in a race. Why waste practice resources with skew? Now those teams have to go back to the drawing board and hope their handling and tire wear isn't completely.....skewed....

Bob is here to explain away all of your qualifying confusion

No, because it was obvious before practice started that NASCAR wouldn't allow crazy skew in a race. Why waste practice resources with skew? Now those teams have to go back to the drawing board and hope their handling and tire wear isn't completely.....skewed....
It was allowed up to that point, so you have to do anything allowed to make your car faster. You know a big part of racing is trying to go faster than everyone else right?

It’s actually the same way on iRacing. Somewhat hard to hang with the pack if you’re last in line
I need to run it, SR be damned. I sat there last night trying to decide between trucks, xfinity, and cup and ended up doing none. Last time I ran Daytona, it was in Xfinity and once we got into a line on the bottom, no one moved. I was in third like 5 laps in and finished third. No one could generate a move. At least it wasn't a 4X fest.

They have data from the testing that was done in January, not to mention SIM runs. This isnt Saturday night racing.

I really don't understand why teams attempted this. They knew NASCAR wouldn't allow it and all it did for these teams is make the 2 practices a waste of time
If they hadn't done it, how should they have set the cars up? They may have expected NASCAR to change the parameters but they couldn't guess how much until they pushed the limit. Indeed, the new numbers may change again if NASCAR still doesn't like what it sees today.

"Momma said I could stay out to 11:00 on my first date. I came home at the stroke of 11:00 but she decided that was too late. Next Saturday I have to be home at 10:30. I sure hope that makes her happy."

I'm happy they changed the rule because the cars looked ridiculous. But it's disappointing that they did it after practice. From my understanding teams will not have any time to practice with the adjusted parameters.

Kurt said on NASCAR Radio that his team didn't bite on the crab walking deal. Now, he feels they are ahead. I like.

I don't understand why NASCAR insists on trying to make qualifying into something more than it is. What the hell is the point of the second round?

They keep trying to make a "show" out of something that isn't supposed to be.

Much like the Awards Banquet. It was fine when it was just an awards banquet with an occasional special musical guest and it was shown on ESPN or TNT on a Friday night. Then NASCAR had the bright idea that it had to be a show made for primetime TV and had to get comedians and country music stars and stuff.

Not that confusing tbh. I just wish they'd do two timed laps tonight and that's it, no second round.

I like the idea of the second round. Minimizes changes in track conditions for the pole. All too often going early or late was too much of an advantage.

I realize that some members take a little break from here during the off season, but I haven't seen ChexOrWrex here since last year. He wasn't here for the Clash and no posts from him in this Daytona pre-race thread. I hope everything is ok with him. :(

If they hadn't done it, how should they have set the cars up? They may have expected NASCAR to change the parameters but they couldn't guess how much until they pushed the limit. Indeed, the new numbers may change again if NASCAR still doesn't like what it sees today.

"Momma said I could stay out to 11:00 on my first date. I came home at the stroke of 11:00 but she decided that was too late. Next Saturday I have to be home at 10:30. I sure hope that makes her happy."
And let's look at it from the other side. Until NASCAR could see how much skew the teams would be able to run, it was difficult to know how much to rein them in. Like @Zerkfitting said, NASCAR doesn't know where all the gray areas are until the teams show them. They're going to be updating the rules fast and furious for the next several weeks.

And let's look at it from the other side. Until NASCAR could see how much skew the teams would be able to run, it was difficult to know how much to rein them in. Like @Zerkfitting said, NASCAR doesn't know where all the gray areas are until the teams show them. They're going to be updating the rules fast and furious for the next several weeks.
True. The first 4-6 weeks will be a hell of a game of cat and mouse between the engineers and inspectors. I suspect Penske will dominate early due to their V8 supercar program and it's similarities to this car.

Back
Top Bottom