2022 Daytona 500 pre-race thread

I thought it was because of the tears in your eyes. Did Kyle qualify?
HMS has rocket ships. My hat is off to them. The race is another matter. Is it possible to troll somebody after they have self-trolled themselves? Where there is a @StandOnIt there is alway a way....

Some things never change, Carl Long's cars were almost one second behind the next slowest car.
With that speed the 55 and the 66 will lose the draft early so Biffle and Grala should be able play it safe and stay out of trouble in the duels.

I know it's a new car and there is still work to be done but the last time a car qualified on the poll under 181.159 mph was 1967, I get it, it's a new car but seriously? Lame!!!

I know it's a new car and there is still work to be done but the last time a car qualified on the poll under 181.159 mph was 1967, I get it, it's a new car but seriously? Lame!!!
I can't tell the difference from 190 to 180 so if it gives us good racing I'm not worried about it. I probably couldn't ell a lot of difference between 180 and 200 but that's me. I'm sure speeds will creep up as these engineers figure ways around stuff.

Personally I can't see the speeds so from a viewership I don't really care. However it is hard to get people to understand that our top series isn't actually the fastest one

I like speed, but it's relative. Bottom line is that the Hendrick bunch brought a whole bunch of motor, and has more raw speed than everybody else. Everybody has the same pieces. This is a motor thing, and the fact that they kicked everybody's ass is pretty amazing. Props to them. I am not sure how this translates to race trim....when everybody's trim is the same in theory. I don't think this is like years past.

I like speed, but it's relative. Bottom line is that the Hendrick bunch brought a whole bunch of motor, and has more raw speed than everybody else. Everybody has the same pieces. This is a motor thing, and the fact that they kicked everybody's ass is pretty amazing. Props to them. I am not sure how this translates to race trim....when everybody's trim is the same in theory. I don't think this is like years past.
Everyone has the same pieces but clearly not putting them together the same. Also you have plus or minus 0.150" on the body scan so some teams clearly have it more trimmed out than others.

I mean, Hendrick was absolutely dominant in Daytona qualifying even when the organization was struggling as a whole. It's too early to tell.

But my hunch is, with the people they have in place, they are that much better than everyone else. Hendrick, Knaus, Gordon behind the scenes, top mechanics, great crew chiefs, and all four drivers they have are among the top-10 best in the sport right now. They have every piece in place to win 20+ races this year.

I mean, Hendrick was absolutely dominant in Daytona qualifying even when the organization was struggling as a whole. It's too early to tell.

But my hunch is, with the people they have in place, they are that much better than everyone else. Hendrick, Knaus, Gordon behind the scenes, top mechanics, great crew chiefs, and all four drivers they have are among the top-10 best in the sport right now. They have every piece in place to win 20+ races this year.
I don't like it, but I can live with it. The playing field is level. Last year, it wasn't. If they are better, there is work to do for MY guys--that is going to be fun to watch. I freaking love this sport--even when I am getting MY ass kicked. The chase is on.

Everyone has the same pieces but clearly not putting them together the same. Also you have plus or minus 0.150" on the body scan so some teams clearly have it more trimmed out than others.
Yeah, but they all know where the solutions are. The goal last night was raw speed, and one organization has a **** ton over the others. Fascinates the **** out of me.

I’ve looked online looking for a timeline of all on track action and tv stations for the 500. Can anyone help?
All series

What's really weird is that almost the entire fanbase wants one single team to dominate because all four drivers on that superteam are enormously popular with the fanbase (Elliott, who will be the MPD until he retires, Larson because he's the best driver in all of motorsports, "Bowman the Showman," and "WillyB" because of iRacing and driving the 24).

What makes a dynasty fun in other sports is not just the dynasty itself, but watching fans root against it (people rooting against Brady and the Patriots, people rooting against Alabama). But, in NASCAR, probably close to 80% of the fanbase approves of a single team dynasty.

What's really weird is that almost the entire fanbase wants one single team to dominate because all four drivers on that superteam are enormously popular with the fanbase (Elliott, who will be the MPD until he retires, Larson because he's the best driver in all of motorsports, "Bowman the Showman," and "WillyB" because of iRacing and driving the 24).

What makes a dynasty fun in other sports is not just the dynasty itself, but watching fans root against it (people rooting against Brady and the Patriots, people rooting against Alabama). But, in NASCAR, probably close to 80% of the fanbase approves of a single team dynasty.
"Bowman the Showman" and "The paper Clip" at Martinsville rank up there with the dumbest nicknames in History. Oh and Cole the general Custer. Bobby Allison was the Iron Man, Earnhardt was the "intimidator" Petty was the "King" "Buddy lead foot Baker" Pearson was " the silver fox". What in the hell happened?

Dual number 1 will be stacked with HMS cars. Dual number 2 poor Bowman is a sitting duck thanks to the 10 team. Not that he cares, or should. He will probably get more information and valuable experience than the other 3 HMS drivers and will get to keep his starting spot if nothing bad happens.

Dual number 1 will be stacked with HMS cars. Dual number 2 poor Bowman is a sitting duck thanks to the 10 team. Not that he cares, or should. He will probably get more information and valuable experience than the other 3 HMS drivers and will get to keep his starting spot if nothing bad happens.
You have more faith in Almirola than I do. Bowman and Larson are on the front row of the 500 no matter what happens in the duals

You have more faith in Almirola than I do. Bowman and Larson are on the front row of the 500 no matter what happens in the duals
You misunderstand what I meant about Almirola. The 10 team already broke up the HMS team for Dual 2. Bowman may not have it as easy as his 3 teammates who have 2 others to assist in their race.

And I already stated the obvious concerning Bowman's starting spot with "will get to keep his starting spot if nothing bad happens." but thanks for the echo.

Twin 125's (or whatever they call it now) are tonight. Can't find the schedule that was posted in here, so I looked it up. Maybe this will save someone else the trouble....

When: 7 p.m. Thursday, February 17 (Duel 2 is expected to start at 8:45 p.m.) on FS1

You misunderstand what I meant about Almirola. The 10 team already broke up the HMS team for Dual 2. Bowman may not have it as easy as his 3 teammates who have 2 others to assist in their race.

And I already stated the obvious concerning Bowman's starting spot with "will get to keep his starting spot if nothing bad happens." but thanks for the echo.
Like I said you have more faith in Almirola than I do. He won't be an issue. You obviously don't know that The first two qualifiers are locked into the front row of the 500. They (Larson and Bowman) get to keep their starting spots on the front row whatever happens. Almirola is racing for third place at best. I doubt he starts the 500 in the top 10.

Last edited:
Not if they wreck, correct? I assumed going to a backup or having to make significant repairs would force them to start at the rear like in years past, but maybe they changed the rules
I have looked around and I can't find anything that says they would lose their starting spots, but you could be right. wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I'll keep looking.

It's an interesting question. The duals pay points down to 10th place, some drivers have to race their way into the 500, so on one hand they appear as separate races awarding points for positions, but for those who are trying to race their way into the 500, it's part of the 500. :idunno:

"Bowman the Showman" and "The paper Clip" at Martinsville rank up there with the dumbest nicknames in History. Oh and Cole the general Custer. Bobby Allison was the Iron Man, Earnhardt was the "intimidator" Petty was the "King" "Buddy lead foot Baker" Pearson was " the silver fox". What in the hell happened?
I have said this before on here, but every time I hear the name Bowman the showman, I have a good chuckle because that is just the opposite of Alex. It has been pretty exciting watching that shy little kid from Tucson AZ flying around in his quarter midget and then racing his Ford Focus in Ventura CA and now growing up to being such a nice young man and doing an outstanding job competing on one of the world's largest racing stages for one of the best teams in NASCAR.

Like I said you have more faith in Almirola than I do. He won't be an issue. You obviously don't know that The first two qualifiers are locked into the front row of the 500. They (Larson and Bowman) get to keep their starting spots on the front row whatever happens. Almirola is racing for third place at best. I doubt he starts the 500 in the top 10.
As stated in my original post you responded to: By qualifying 4th Almirola merely broke up the 2 HMS cars in each Dual (had they qualified 1-2-3-4. First one has 3 (lotta team help) and the 2nd just one (no team help). And yes, I understood the top 2 are locked in unless they go to a backup (if nothing bad happens). Simple reading comprehension is awesome skill if someone TRIES to read and concentrate instead of generating a response AS they read.

Not if they wreck, correct? I assumed going to a backup or having to make significant repairs would force them to start at the rear like in years past, but maybe they changed the rules
Previous years a backup meant they went to the back. If they wrecked the car and could repair it they remained in their 1 or 2 starting spot. That's how I have understood it.

The big question for tonight's Duels is how hard some of these teams will race considering the lack of cars and only a few team brought actual backups. I know many of them can bring extra cars from Charlotte. But the low inventory was one of the driving factors by getting the Clash away from Daytona.

Twin 125's (or whatever they call it now) are tonight. Can't find the schedule that was posted in here, so I looked it up. Maybe this will save someone else the trouble....

When: 7 p.m. Thursday, February 17 (Duel 2 is expected to start at 8:45 p.m.) on FS1
I wonder if we can get a mod to pin a speedweeks TV schedule on the front page until the 500 concludes

Is it normal to have some arca teams only run 3 laps at Daytona?

Back
Top Bottom