2022 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Who is watching today and this year?

Chase Sexton wins the first 450 moto of the season, with Ken Roczen a strong second. Christian Craig completes the podium, with Jason Anderson fourth, Ryan Dungey fifth in his return, Tomac seventh, and Antonio Cairoli 10th. Will be really interesting to see how this stacked group shakes out.

Who is watching today and this year?

Chase Sexton wins the first 450 moto of the season, with Ken Roczen a strong second. Christian Craig completes the podium, with Jason Anderson fourth, Ryan Dungey fifth in his return, Tomac seventh, and Antonio Cairoli 10th. Will be really interesting to see how this stacked group shakes out.
I bailed out part way thru to watch Lucas Oil on Mav. Could have watched both since the car guys still haven't done anything yet. About to do some hotlaps after track work.

Same podium in the second moto. Sexton - Roczen - Craig. Tomac fourth and Dungey fifth for a very impressive comeback performance.

Anderson had to come from way back in both races. Guy needs to get his starts under control, because he's fast.

Fantastic battle between Sexton and Anderson in the first 450 moto at Hangtown, with Anderson emerging as the winner. Roczen, Tomac, Craig, and Dungey follow. Second moto will be good.

I'm running way behind on TV events. Just watched the first round yesterday, nearly a full week after I recorded it. Missed round 2 today, but plan to catch the re-air on Tuesday evening on Mav TV.

Sexton looked super strong, smooth and fast and making it look easy. Nice to see Roczen up front and hope he can keep it there. Tomac badly off the pace. They said knee injury, so that probably explains it.

I didn't expect Dungy to be that fast, very impressive. Is he planning to race all summer? The article I saw announcing his return said he planned to do two rounds, but maybe it really meant something like... two rounds if I'm slow but will stay longer if I'm fast?

Also, I read an interview with Tony Cairoli. His mindset is this is strictly a lark for a couple of rounds, not the full schedule. He hasn't been training or riding since he retired last fall. He's 36 years old and out of shape (by pro MX standards), so I thought his results looked pretty good. Also, I gather that he has never ridden this bike before. As I understand it, the AMA series requires OEM production frames to be used, but the MXGP circuit has no such limitation. In the GPs, the factory bikes tend to be hand built specials, as I understand it.

I wonder if they call him "Mr. Nine Time" or something like that. Last year, Cairoli was very racy on the world circuit. At age 35, he won some motos and he won a couple overall events, IIRC. He was in the thick of the points battle until he missed a couple races with injury. One would have to say that he had lost a step or two at age 35, but still very competitive and winning a few races at the top level. He's not very photogenic I guess in a TV interview, but a bona fide legend in world MX.

The Dungey deal was announced as only the first two rounds for sure, but I think his plan was to use them as a gauge to see where his performance is. If it wasn't up to par, he'd have an easy out. I would have to think he and KTM are pleased with how it's gone, and that he's on board for more. It looks like he is KTM's best hope for the series.

It's also been cool to see Cairoli put in solid rides.

A fierce battle between Roczen and Tomac in the second moto that appeared to be for second place was fun to watch, but after Roczen held him off, it became the winning move when leader Sexton inexplicably went down in the final lap after cross rutting a corner. Roczen takes the overall. Great fight from him, and a really clean hard battle with Tomac. How about Cairoli finishing fourth? I guess he is staying in the series.

It has been impressive to watch Tomac steadily eat away at Sexton's points lead after his slow start. That has really set up to be an intense battle, and last week's second moto in which Tomac grabbed the lead and Sexton dogged him for the entire length of the race was good stuff. They had the rest of the field gapped by a huge margin.

It has also been cool to see a past-his-prime but still determined Dungey stick through the whole series and put in solid, steady performances.

Tomac has pretty much confirmed that this is likely his last MX season. He said that his deal for 2023 is SX only as of now.

Back
Top Bottom