2022 World of Outlaws

An absolute barnburner at Tulare, probably the best feature of the year so far. Gio Scelzi holds off a charging Kyle Larson and David Gravel. Huge sliders and back and forth battles through the whole field.

1. Gio Scelzi
2. David Gravel
3. Kyle Larson
4. Rico Abreu
5. Brad Sweet
6. James McFadden (from 21st)

Larson says he'll back tomorrow night after qualifying at Phoenix.

Last edited:
Larson gets it done on the second night at Thunderbowl for his first WoO win of the year. As is often the case, he developed a line nobody else was running, entering high into 1 and 2 before cutting hard down off the cushion to diamond on exit.

1. Kyle Larson
2. Brad Sweet
3. David Gravel
4. Spencer Bayston
5. Rico Abreu

What sucks is that I was in Bakersfield testing slot cars on Saturday for a race on Sun and that is only about 50 miles south of where Larson was racing. A couple of my buddies that were there getting ready for the slot car race tried to get me to go with them to watch Larson race that night, but I was running on about 2 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours, and had just left at 6.30 am and driven 150 miles and set up my pit and tested for about 6 hours so I was wore out and chose to just have some dinner and go to the hotel and relax. So, I didn't see Larson win, but I did win my race on Sunday. I got back home today, and I'm still wore out so now I'm ready for a good night's sleep. :)

Last edited:
Carson Macedo wins a good one at Merced over Brad Sweet, who started on the pole and led until after halfway, when Macedo got by on a restart.

Points leader Gravel got involved in an accident and sees his lead shrink from 36 points to 10 over Sweet. Sweet's winless streak continues, and now remarkably stands at 24 races without a win, dating back to early last September.

1. Carson Macedo
2. Brad Sweet
3. Gio Scelzi
4 Tyler Courtney
5. Spencer Bayston

Sheldon spins out while running near the back of the field, and the top three (Spencer Bayston, David Gravel, and Rico Abreu) are all collected with nowhere to go. Awful luck for them.

Good race from there, with Gio Scelzi winning and collecting his second WoO victory of the year. 16 year old Corey Day finishes second, with Sweet, Macedo, and James McFadden (22nd to 5th) behind him.

Sweet overtakes Gravel for the points lead.

Gravel rebounds to win a wild, back and forth race at Perris. James McFadden was battling for the lead until he caught the wall late, ending his night. Dominic Scelzi was also in the thick of it until he spun out coming off turn 2. The cushion was fast but treacherous. Corey Day remarkably finishes second for the second straight night. He is going to be something special.

1. David Gravel
2. Corey Day
3. Carson Macedo

1648360910810.png

Brqd Sweet wins from the pole at Vado for his first victory of the season and first since September of last year. Sheldon Haudenschild chased him all race and finished second. Might have been a tick faster, but caught all the wrong breaks through traffic. Sweet navigated traffic well and stayed out in front.

1. Brad Sweet
2. Sheldon Haudenschild
3. Donny Schatz

Brent Marks passes Brian Brown early and drives away to a dominating win at Devil's Bowl. The track never wore in enough to be very racey. Cast, narrow, and passing was very difficult with track position at a premium.

1. Brent Marks
2. Donny Schatz
3. Brian Brown
4. James McFadden
5. Jacob Allen

I'm going to drive three hours to see this, and won't be happy if they have to pull the plug at the last minute. Fingers crossed.

The track at Lake Ozark is dialed in, and the heats are some of the best of the year. Hopefully the main will be similiar.

Jacob Allen with the big win after rumors he wouldn't even be on tour this year

Bummer as the track prep was misjudged. Perfect for the heats, very good for the Xtreme main event, then rubber down and single file for most of the WoO main. Leaders couldn't pass the back of the field. They had to shorten the scheduled 41-lap race to 30 because there was no way the tires were going to last. Brady Bacon nearly redeemed himself after spinning out from the lead in the Xtreme race and led the race late, but Jacob Allen muscled his way by, and then Bacon lost a RR tire with one lap to go and finished 17th.

Great to see Jacob Allen get another win, but not a high quality race after what started out a promising night.

1. Jacob Allen
2. Spencer Bayston
3. David Gravel
4. Logan Schuchart
5. Brad Sweet

https://www.speedsport.com/sprints-...cars/format-purse-set-for-4-day-world-finals/
Format for the four day World Finals. Most likely this will be the first world final we miss. With the 3 day format we would still by the 3 day ticket but usually only went Friday and Saturday. Now with the 4 day ticket and all cars not running every night, plus a hefty jump in ticket prices, as expected, it's a bit of overkill for us. In this case we don't think more is better. The weather is normally a factor too at Charlotte that time of year and adding another day increase the odds of mother nature winning.

Well, glad I didn't decide to head over there either. Gave it some brief thought.

https://www.speedsport.com/sprints-...cars/format-purse-set-for-4-day-world-finals/
Format for the four day World Finals. Most likely this will be the first world final we miss. With the 3 day format we would still by the 3 day ticket but usually only went Friday and Saturday. Now with the 4 day ticket and all cars not running every night, plus a hefty jump in ticket prices, as expected, it's a bit of overkill for us. In this case we don't think more is better. The weather is normally a factor too at Charlotte that time of year and adding another day increase the odds of mother nature winning.

I’m not a fan of having sprint features on a Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday order. The 3 day show was fine.

We shall see. 410 winged sprints on a 5/8 mile track is not something we see much anymore.

I doubt it be the Outlaws since XR is promoting it. The only 5/8th I can think of with sprints is Selinsgrove and West Virginia. Bridgeport did until they reconfigured to a 4/10

Marathon race full of cautions on a rough race track at I-55. Carson Macedo wins over Logan Schuchart and Brad Sweet. Sheldon Haudenschild got into Sweet on a restart five laps in, flipped, went to the work area and replaced a broken front axle and top wing, and drove all the way back to fourth place.

1. Carson Macedo
2. Logan Schuchart
3. Brad Sweet
4. Sheldon Haudenschild
5. James McFadden

Back
Top Bottom