2022 World of Outlaws

I am with you on that 1st part. There have been plenty of women race a WOO race. The ones I have seen, there didn't appear to be any disrespect.
I just don't understand why she gets absolutely minimal support? She seems to be a fairly decent driver. Sponsor friendly. Must be something we don't see.

Larson dominates on a strong night for the Posse

Nobody was going to touch Kyle Larson at Port Royal tonight, continuing his domination there across multiple series. He wins easily, over Danny Dietrich, Anthony Macri, and Brent Marks. The first WoO regular was Haud in fifth.

Lance Dewease won last night over Marks and Macri. Tonight Marks just barely made the feature after having to come through the LCS. Sheldon will start on the pole of the main event, which is coming up.

Thrilling race at the Grove, which was in great shape this weekend. Brad Sweet gets his first win since March after passing Haudenschild late. Dietrich also passed Haud and finished a close second.

Macedo crashed and an incident also involving Larson, and could not get out of the work area. His team frankly didn't look ready for primetime down there, seemed to be a lot of confusion.

1. Brad Sweet
2. Danny Dietrich
3. Sheldon Haudenschild
4. Donny Schatz
5. Freddie Rahmer

Some information I gathered for Door Bumper Clear this week about Kasey Kahne. Brett Griffin mentioned when talking about drivers not wanting to get out with injury that Kasey had his dehydration issues but then said he had carotid artery issues. I never heard that before, I wonder if that is from his sprint car crashes? If so I hope he is being very careful with his health.

David Gravel passes Donny Schatz at Weedsport and drives away to a massive eight second lead which is erased by a caution with three laps to go, but he then drives away again to a decisive victory. Schatz finishes second. Paulie Colagiovanni scores his second WoO podium in third. He has been strong when the Outlaws travel to this particular part of the country.

1. David Gravel
2. Donny Schatz
3. Paulie Colagiovanni
4. Brad Sweet
5. Jacob Allen

They have a mess on their hands with Haudenschild and the #17 team. He spun out with about 10 laps to go. Typically any 360 spin in this type of racing triggers a caution. The officials either didn't see it, or decided that because he landed in the infield, they wouldn't throw one. Unlike some of other forms of racing, again, a 360 spin is supposed to draw an automatic caution for safety. Angry over the no-call, Sheldon eventually exited his car and threw his helmet onto the track. This drew the caution with three to go. A crew member then argued with the tow truck driver, and they simply left his car sitting there. Mistakes on all sides. Incorrect officiating, inexcusable act by Sheldon.

He was credited with last place when results were posted, and the Outlaws have apparently stated discipline will be coming.

Did we ever get a statement about the series official who attacked a crew member?

Donny Schatz takes the second night at the Weedsport Ice Rink (that's not a slam) for his second victory of the year. Last night's winner David Gravel charged to a close second. Logan Schuchart, Brock Zearfoss, and James McFadden round out the top five.

Wild finish at I-55, with Carson Macedo stealing the victory from race-long leader Brad Sweet in the final corner. Sweet caught lapped traffic wrong on the last lap and got a little tentative, and Macedo threw a massive slider for the win, and it stuck.

wow,cool, i feel bad for people thats never watched one of these races.

It was Sweet vs. Macedo at the front again. Tonight Sweet leads the entire race and holds on to win the Ironman 55. McFadden finishes third for the second straight night, Schatz fourth, Haudenschild fifth from 19th starting position.

All you Flomeisters will get to watch the Knoxville Nationals I'm sure, but I'll have to follow along by reading your posts. Is there a Twitter feed you'd recommend for in-race updates?

Speedsport breaks down the field...

Follows on Twitter for in-race and on-the-scene updates:

@WorldofOutlaws
@Walkapedia
@tjslideways
@BradDoty
@cfchangs9 is a local Iowa racing reporter who puts out good independent content, also operates @AlwaysRaceDay

The first three nights of preliminary action have been interesting. Wednesday night's track was way too heavy and wet for the bulk of the program. The unique format used for the Nationals involves heavily inverted heat races (8 of 10 cars are inverted according to time trials), and it can "work" when passing is possible. It essentially wasn't on Wednesday, which led to a bunch of top qualifiers being buried in single file parade heat races and in many cases failing to make the A-Main. Thursday was somewhat better, but it was still very difficult to make passes in the heats even for the top drivers. There is a lot of debate over the format and whether it's a problem or just track conditions are. My take on that is that it used to be much easier for the fastest cars and drivers to overcome the inverts and "put on a show", because the gap from the top of the bottom of the field was huge. Today it is much closer, and clean air is more important than ever, especially on a wet track. Some adjustments are overdue so that sandbagging in qualifying doesn't become the norm.

That said, very cool to see local Austin McCarl (son of Terry McCarl) on the pole. The McCarls are a huge part of Iowa sprint car racing history. Donny Schatz looks really, really good, much like the Donny of old. Larson put on a clinic on Thursday and went 20th to 5th in the feature. He's the defending champ, so obviously the favorite. Macedo and Gravel also look strong. I'm not sure about Sweet's raw pace, he didn't look great on his qualifying night, but you'd be a fool to not think that team will be up there. Tyler Courtney could certainly surprise everyone, having the advantage of a front row starting spot. I'd look for Rico to move through the field from 21st after winning last night's "Hard Knox" program. There are a lot of possibilities, as I said the competition is probably closer and deeper than it has ever been.

The field is set after the last four advance via the B-Main. Love this event and how hard it is to qualify for, it is the pinnacle of dirt racing.

If forced to pick, I feel like it might be Schatz's night again.

For anyone interested without a DIRTVision subscription, you can listen to the local radio broadcast of the race here:

Back
Top Bottom