2023 Daytona Pre-Race Thread

There won't be a practice session before qualifying or the duel races. I guess that's not helpful for JJ, Pastrana and Daly.
I suspect JJ will be fine. Unlike the other two, he's a known factor and plenty of people will be willing to draft with him in the Duels.

Pastrana will have 23XI teammates but I don't know if they'll be willing to sacrifice starting positions to drop back and push him, assuming they're in the same race he is.
Conor's on his own.

I suspect JJ will be fine. Unlike the other two, he's a known factor and plenty of people will be willing to draft with him in the Duels.
6000 race laps at Daytona and two wins in the 500. I also suspect he will be fine.

Pastrami likely to struggle in his Duel.

Was listening to Eury Jr, CC for Conor Daly, and he almost made it sound they didn't really expect to make the race. i mean yeah they want to make it, but I think he was also being realistic I guess part of the bigger picture is sponsorship wants him to run the 500 in 2024 and they decided late to run it this year to get him some experience at least in the duel to better prepare him for next year.

He would have gained more experience running the entire Xfinity race. There are buy-a-ride cars at the X level that are more competitive than the #50 in Cup, and for less money. The money they saved would have funded at least one other X plate race later in the year for additional experience.

But nope, gotta be Daytona 500 even if we're not going to make the show.

I don't like the idea of someone with minimal stock car experience, and no success trying to race into the 500. He could ruin other people's day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
A lot of the pro drivers have ruined other people's day. If that is a reason for them not to race than there wouldn't be very many cars on the track.

A lot of the pro drivers have ruined other people's day. If that is a reason for them not to race than there wouldn't be very many cars on the track.
That's due to mistakes, and ignorance.

Someone ruining someone's day because they've never raced a cup car is a different animal, imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Little hype music to start Speedweek

Race week LFG!!!

Means nothing this far in advance but I dont care but id rather it look clean than messy...
1676296044995.png

The historian in Mike Joy never takes a day off. Not even in the offseason.

“This will be the first Daytona 500 in which there is not a driver in the field who raced against Dale Earnhardt, since his death,” Joy matter-of-factly spouted out during a phone interview in late January.

“This will be the first Daytona 500 without an entry from a team with the name ‘Petty’ in it," he added. "The only constant is change.”

And while things in the world of stock-car racing have certainly done that, including Petty GMS Racing rebranding into Legacy Motor Club, Joy’s presence in the sport and his passion for it have remained largely unchanged. Like all race fans, that includes a lifetime of memories at Daytona, and in particular, the Daytona 500, a race he'll help call for the 44th time next Sunday.

“You drive in that tunnel and suddenly you’ve driven into a city of 200,000 people right there in a couple of square miles and they’re all there for the same reason you are and with the same interest you have, which is really quite cool,” Joy said. “You go in there and it’s very much a Super Bowl sense of being and the difference is, when you go in that garage area the morning of the Daytona 500, there’s 40 teams there that think they can win. And that’s really cool.”

The historian in Mike Joy never takes a day off. Not even in the offseason.

“This will be the first Daytona 500 in which there is not a driver in the field who raced against Dale Earnhardt, since his death,” Joy matter-of-factly spouted out during a phone interview in late January.

“This will be the first Daytona 500 without an entry from a team with the name ‘Petty’ in it," he added. "The only constant is change.”

And while things in the world of stock-car racing have certainly done that, including Petty GMS Racing rebranding into Legacy Motor Club, Joy’s presence in the sport and his passion for it have remained largely unchanged. Like all race fans, that includes a lifetime of memories at Daytona, and in particular, the Daytona 500, a race he'll help call for the 44th time next Sunday.

“You drive in that tunnel and suddenly you’ve driven into a city of 200,000 people right there in a couple of square miles and they’re all there for the same reason you are and with the same interest you have, which is really quite cool,” Joy said. “You go in there and it’s very much a Super Bowl sense of being and the difference is, when you go in that garage area the morning of the Daytona 500, there’s 40 teams there that think they can win. And that’s really cool.”
Who was in the race last year that had raced against Earnhardt?

Kurt, I guess
There’s no reason or need to guess. It’s a matter of fact.

Busch ran 7 Cup races during the 2000 season, Earnhardt’s final campaign preceding his untimely demise during the Daytona 500 in 2001.

The Daytona 500 entry list on NASCAR.com lists "GUNS N` ROSES" as the sponsor of Erik Jones in the #43.
That diecast is gonna SELL.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Daytona​

FEBRUARY 14, 2023 AT 8:15 AM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 1 – 200 laps / 500 miles
Daytona International Speedway (2.5-mile oval) – Daytona Beach, Fla.

Fast Facts for February 15-19, 2023

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials

Set limits:
Cup: 7 sets for practice/qualifying/Duel, and 8 sets for the race (7 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)
Tire Codes:
Left-side — D-5142;
Right-side — D-5116

Tire Circumference:
Left-side — 2,274 mm (89.53 in.);
Right-side — 2,280 mm (89.76 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 28 psi; Left Rear — 28 psi;
Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – Cup teams open second season on 18-inch bead diameter tire: After the debut of Goodyear’s 18-inch bead diameter tire last season, the work continues in 2023. Please see below the NASCAR Xfinity/Craftsman Truck Series Fast Facts on this e-mail for a complete story on Goodyear’s continued development of the 18-inch tire.

Notes – Cup teams return on Daytona/Talladega tire set-up: Being on an 18-inch bead diameter tire, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series at Daytona this week . . . this is the same combination of left- and right-side tires Cup teams ran twice at Daytona last season . . . they also ran this same tire set-up twice at Talladega in 2022 . . . with this 18-inch bead diameter tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2023.

Goodyear Blimp – Airship to cover Thursday-Sunday events: The Goodyear Blimp “Wingfoot Two” is scheduled to be in the air over Daytona International Speedway this week . . . Wingfoot Two, based out of Pompano Beach, Fla., will provide aerial coverage for Fox Sports during the NASCAR Cup Duels on Thursday, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race on Friday, NASCAR Xfinity Series race on Saturday and the NASCAR Cup Series’ Daytona 500 on Sunday.
— Goodyear Racing —

Back
Top Bottom