2023 F1 Miami Grand Prix Race thread

Reck

Team Owner
We’re in for a tough race in terms of fun. Track is kinda lame to begin with but the FIA has decided to shorten 2 of the 3 DRS zones and the drivers are not with it.

Oh and Leclerc crashed again. 🥲

Decent chance of rain Sunday but knowing how it goes down here it’ll come with a lightning delay if it does.

Seems to me like the FIA are trying to nerf Red Bull’s DRS advantage, at the expense of the rest of the field…it’s not like anyone is usually around them anyways.

Hamilton says.....
'We need to do better as a sport. They have already tried to bring the teams closer, but it never seems to work.

I think the regulations are not simple enough. The big complaint is the cars are too heavy, so why not drop the hybrids and all that dead weight? Why not get rid of the expense and the complexity? No one understands the penalty system anyway and it's a constant complaint that front runners get buried in the grid because they popped an engine or an MGU or whatever they call that stuff.

The best example was when McLaren got over 100 grid position penalties for a single race and Alonso quipped "We should bake a cake to celebrate!"

Ask and ye shall reveive.................

birthday-cake-with-burning-candle-number-100-E9BKFP.jpg

Hamilton says.....

I think the regulations are not simple enough. The big complaint is the cars are too heavy, so why not drop the hybrids and all that dead weight? Why not get rid of the expense and the complexity? No one understands the penalty system anyway and it's a constant complaint that front runners get buried in the grid because they popped an engine or an MGU or whatever they call that stuff.

The best example was when McLaren got over 100 grid position penalties for a single race and Alonso quipped "We should bake a cake to celebrate!"
Then all the manufacturers leave because the hybrid systems they negotiated for are gone. And the penalty system has been significantly revised since Honda’s first season back when they were getting ridiculous penalties.

They intend to make the cars lighter and smaller but not until the next set of regulations in 2026. Badly needed.

Ferrari race strategy, push ... push ... push ... box ... push ... box ... box ... push ... push :p

Mercedes is a disgrace. I don’t even know how to explain how **** they are.

Then all the manufacturers leave because the hybrid systems they negotiated for are gone. And the penalty system has been significantly revised since Honda’s first season back when they were getting ridiculous penalties.

They intend to make the cars lighter and smaller but not until the next set of regulations in 2026. Badly needed.
Same conundrum as the IMSA teams face. Run hybrids or the manufacturers bolt. Another reason manufacturer involvement has it's pitfalls.

Where Hypercar has an advantage here is you don't have to run one. Glick doesn't and I believe Vanwall doesn't have a hybrid either. Neither are real competitive right now but remember last year the Glick was running away with Monza until it blew up. It is possible to compete without a hybrid, though lMDh doesn't allow that option. There's a lot more diverse power supply options in Hypercar.

Wow, Leclerc bottles it again and crashes. Verstappen didn’t get a banker lap in before the red flag and starts P9. Really interesting grid for tomorrow.

what is wrong with Leclerc? Something must be wrong with this guy.
Yeah, it’s all gotten to his head at this point. You should see the comments he’s made about the music he produces, such as this one…

Just saw the results of qualifying. Sergio just keeps on delivering. Mercedes continues to be a real disappointment. They had better get that update right.

Yeah, it’s all gotten to his head at this point. You should see the comments he’s made about the music he produces, such as this one…

Lmao.

They can start a band and commiserate together . Trash season

Just saw the results of qualifying. Sergio just keeps on delivering. Mercedes continues to be a real disappointment. They had better get that update right.

Mercedes keeps disrespecting Lewis by not listening to him at all. He wanted to be on the track sooner than they sent him.

I've seen this now going on for a year. They're not really listening. Too busy taking notes from a computer.

Maybe it's time to shop somewhere else for Hamilton.

Mercedes is taking it like a man. Our cars sucks. Hell of a thing to have to admit for a premier luxury auto maker.

I've got to admit Toto has been pretty humble through all of this, but then again, they have much to be humble about with that rolling turd.
Mercedes doesn’t even know what’s going on. It’s unlikely the next upgrade do jack ****.

Toto drags everyone under the bus with him. Epic hari kari.

Mercedes doesn’t even know what’s going on. It’s unlikely the next upgrade do jack ****.

Same tune as last year. Wildly inconsistent car with a very narrow setup window. Pretty sure they led one of the Friday practices here last year too. Week to week or even session to session they’re so unpredictable.

I don't remember Toto being so brutally honest last year, but it's certainly refreshing and makes great press.

@FLRacingFan tell me is rainin..and raining hard over there now.

I’ve seen a few reports that rain could actually be a thing. Lovely.

I'm in Pinellas county and it's nice. We're about four hours from Miami. I'm sure hoping for rain because this race needs to be shaken up a bit.

This is generally pretty accurate: https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/weather/radar

I have a funny feeling this race will go Alonso's way. He seems like a different person this year and the car is very good. He's got a great starting slot and just needs a break or two. Rain might be the break he needs.

On my MSN feed there is all kinds of talk that Max wants another teammate. He's got to be feeling challenged at this point. Sergio is piling on the pressure, made worse by yet another pole. We could be seeing another Prost/Senna or Mansell/Piguet kind of teammate battle. Oh, maybe it's not to that point yet, but remember all the trash Jos and Max' mom talked last year, the mess in Brazil and Max not helping Checo in Abu Dabi. I have a hard time believing there's not still some discontent there. Horner is keeping a lid on it, but there's got to be a lot of tension there.

I really enjoyed this race last year. The venue is fabulous. They did something different and it works. Did anyone notice how the chicane has a high inside curb? I believe they opened it up a bit, but some of the cars are getting wheels off the ground over that curb. Last year was a fascinating because the apex of the first part was right at the top of a rise, which really upsets the car because after that the rise the road falls away. It looks like that rise is a bit higher this year, or maybe it's an illusion. Some of the guys are pounding that curb. I would not be surprised to see someone lose it coming out of there. A few cars look like they tried to hook to the right into the wall, so we could see some of that too.

Here's a weird one: S. Florida is overrun by Iguanas. Some of them have been hiding in the walls and other places around the track. Don't be surpried to see a yellow if one gets on the track, and don't be surprised if one gets punted into the stands. Might be the highlight of the race!

@FLRacingFan tell me is rainin..and raining hard over there now.

I’ve seen a few reports that rain could actually be a thing. Lovely.
I’m not sure what the forecast looks like now but it poured at the track last night and washed all the rubber away. It might be a pretty sketchy start.

Breathlessly awaiting the chaos to unfold!

They were having grip problems all week. A wet track should make a nice skating rink. "Dude, we all have no grip!"

New asphalt usually seeps oil for awhile. Moisture will just make it rise up even more and make it even more slick. Ever pull into a freshly paved Wendy's in the wet? That's what they are going to be up against if we get rain.

That link I posted a few posts back is usually pretty accurate. We use it to check flying conditions before we load up and it's been quite good. It's been wrong too, though.

Everything so far points to a potential twilight zone race and someone unexpected could win. Sketchy track and sketchy conditions usually gives us an odd result, so I'm hoping for that. I don't think Sargent will win, but we could get a rare Alpine or maybe even a Haas win. Mags is looking pretty decent. We just need some chaos.

And also, watch out for those Iguanas.

I'm surprised she hasn't been blown away yet by your average armed citizen yet.

It's no secret people are a bit crazy right now, so let's hope nothing like that ever happens.

That's why they use the yellow vest and other bright clothing. This has gone on long enough most people there know killing iguanas is what they do, and most of them are ok with it. Most of them have had property destroyed and glad to see them get whacked.

The invasion is ecologically destroying the Miami' Dade area. They are destroying docks and seawalls and eating up all the vegetation. They are like walking locusts destroying everything behind them. It's a huge problem that is not getting better.

But let's be positive and hope one gets punted into the stands or otherwise vaporized by a 200 mph battering ram. You can't fake entertainment.

Most of the bitumen used in driveway and parking lot asphalt has been supplanted by polymers for high load applications such as airport runways and racetracks. Cures in 50 hours.

Water is wet so if it rains, it’ll be slick. 😇

Those driver intros were epic. I really enjoyed it. Might be the most exciting part of the weekend.

I have not seen the race yet, but I am betting if it rains we'll have at least one yellow to get Max back in the game. I'm not ruling Max out, but it would be great to see Alonso snag a win.

Back
Top Bottom