2023 F1 Monaco Weekend Thread

It looks like Mercedes kept as much of the zero pod as they could, and added the Ferrari "bathtub" channels on top. It's nowhere near as sculptured as the Red Bull though. I would not be surprised if they revamp the sidepods in a later update.

looks like Mercedes kept as much of the zero pod

Not seeing it. The side pods are fairly huge. They went completely away from the no pods going by the many pictures I’ve seen.

Not seeing it. The side pods are fairly huge. They went completely away from the no pods going by the many pictures I’ve seen.
We haven't seen the entire car put together yet. It's not a zero pod and it's not conventional either.

We haven't seen the entire car put together yet. It's not a zero pod and it's not conventional either.

Reddit has a chuck full of pictures as well. Good look at the front suspension and all that. Let's hope the third time's the charm.

IMG_1617.jpeg
IMG_1616.jpeg

Reactions: sdj

Reddit has a chuck full of pictures as well. Good look at the front suspension and all that. Let's hope the third time's the charm.

Thanks. That's a much better view. Yeah, the zero pod is gone. The front looks like it has Red Bull influence, there's the Ferrari bathtubs on top of the engine cover, and the rear of the pod looks like Aston's.

I also like how they fared the crash structure into the leading edge of the pod. They can't move the structure, so they incorporated it into the pod instead of hanging out in the breeze.

FOM have replaced Tele Monte Carlo as the TV producer this weekend. There’ve been lots of complaints about the production quality in recent years, and Monaco was the last race on the calendar produced locally.

Sainz also wound up binning the car late in FP2 through the swimming pool section.

The racing is crap but the driving challenge of finishing well here is almost unmatched.

Tire warm up is the biggest challenge these days. Along with trying to manhandle the huge cars.

And the the weird thing is once you get them up to temps, they overheat just as quick. At least the Mercedes team is notorious for having these issues.

sorry guys.

I just want to say I love that this course is hard. Makes you appreciate the master Aryton more.

Now if only this weekend it could rain......

Tire warm up is the biggest challenge these days. Along with trying to manhandle the huge cars.
New 2023 Formula E cars are about one foot less wide than F1 cars and have a wheelbase about two feet shorter than F1 cars, and had over 100 passes at their Monaco round this year. They also just lap generally much slower around the place. So passing is possible, but the 2026 cars need to be quite a bit smaller than what they are now.

Clearing Perez is fighting so hard he's always on the edge. He's just got to stop stepping over it.

That qualifying will be better than a number of races this year. Wow.

Verstappen steals pole from Alonso at the last second, Ocon P4 behind Leclerc. Drama.

If I am reading this right, Hamilton is only 0.3 or so back and both Mercs in the top 8. That's a good start considering how heavily they changed that car. I'm sure both drivers are concentrating on a win, but the team has to look at this as an extended test session.

The Renault CEO was pretty harsh about the team's lack of results, but here it looks like they are responding with Ocon, in fourth and Gasly seventh. It's good to see them getting back in the fight.

If Alonso can nail the start, if could be an exciting race.

Leclerc’s luck at this place is very odd. He does relatively well but somehow ends up copping a mistake.

He’s getting looked at for impeding Lando Norris.

Leclerc’s luck at this place is very odd. He does relatively well but somehow ends up copping a mistake.

He’s getting looked at for impeding Lando Norris.
And gets a grid drop from 3rd to 6th.

Looks like a wet start potentially drying out. That would certainly shake things up!

Quite a bit of chaos at the start of the Porsche race, Lorenzo got caught up as well.
Looks like a wet start potentially drying out. That would certainly shake things up!
Doesn't look like rain and it's probably better that way. If they start on Intermediates everyone would change to slicks at pretty much the same time which would eliminate all strategy options.
If it stays dry, strategy will be the only way to make up spots. Let's see if Checo can salvage some points and if Alonso has anything for Max.

I think Alonso does better in Formula than he does in Indycar.

Back
Top Bottom