2023 Petit LeMans

Hotrod

2022 RFFL Champion
Going to be out of town for this but lets get the party started . 54 car 10 hour rodeo.
1696850668603.png

Here is a link to review the championship points of the classes.
Only a couple points seperate the top 3 teams in GTP setting up for
an epic Petit showdown.

Need some help. RACER lists the petite as 6:30 to finish only on Peacock and IMSA.TV Are the first hours not broadcast somewhere else?

Oh, hell. I don't get peacock. At least I'll get to see the last few hours.
They usually do a pretty good job of showing you all the highlights to catch you up. I get Peacock but sometimes am too busy to sit and watch all of it so rely on the final hours of coverage to get me up to date.

They usually do a pretty good job of showing you all the highlights to catch you up. I get Peacock but sometimes am too busy to sit and watch all of it so rely on the final hours of coverage to get me up to date.
I have an unavoidable family commitment Saturday. I'll record the TV portion.

This is the last race of the season, so I have through next Feb to watch it. The odds of me avoiding spoilers are pretty good. When the weather is too crummy to be out, I'll watch a few hours from the IMSA web page. Once I've burned through those, I'll watch the televised portion.

That's the only plan available to me. I may have to get Peacock next year. I guess I can follow T &S the first few hours. The USA broadcast comes on at 6:30, which should give us a great sunset and the night racing I like best, so it's not a travesty. Like you say, they will probably come on the air with a recap so I shouldn't miss much.

I'm at a loss to pick my favorite because all of the teams in contention have had so much to overcome. Porsche lost in post race scrutineering and Acura lost 200 points at Daytona. BMW fought pace and reliability issues and AX was simply plagued with bad luck (Sebring aside). Ganassi have had a career of bad luck in just one season. Hard to decide who deserves success more because they all do.

In a way I would love to see Shank win and get some sort of validation and maybe make themselves more attractive to a manufacturer willing to supply. As a Porsche guy I'de be ok with them winning. Caddy winning would be fine too because they have had a rough year. Finally, BMW has stayed in contention mostly by stealth, and as bad as they were initially, it's a bit of a surprise they are still in contention. So, I'll be fine with whomever wins the title provided we get a good race.

Deletraz took pole and the provisional points lead for WTR in a tense wet qualifying session. Ben Keating also chipped away slightly at the deficit for the LMP2 title with class pole.

That's the only plan available to me. I may have to get Peacock next year. I guess I can follow T &S the first few hours. The USA broadcast comes on at 6:30, which should give us a great sunset and the night racing I like best, so it's not a travesty. Like you say, they will probably come on the air with a recap so I shouldn't miss much.

I'm at a loss to pick my favorite because all of the teams in contention have had so much to overcome. Porsche lost in post race scrutineering and Acura lost 200 points at Daytona. BMW fought pace and reliability issues and AX was simply plagued with bad luck (Sebring aside). Ganassi have had a career of bad luck in just one season. Hard to decide who deserves success more because they all do.

In a way I would love to see Shank win and get some sort of validation and maybe make themselves more attractive to a manufacturer willing to supply. As a Porsche guy I'de be ok with them winning. Caddy winning would be fine too because they have had a rough year. Finally, BMW has stayed in contention mostly by stealth, and as bad as they were initially, it's a bit of a surprise they are still in contention. So, I'll be fine with whomever wins the title provided we get a good race.
Dont forget to try radiolemans.com for Hindy - http://player.radioshow.limited/audioplayer.html
Timing and scoring - https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa/

Peacock has been great for me . 95% of my viewing is for its sports content.

Of all my Petits I've been to, I'd say the early morning walk through the paddock of raceday was always my
favorite time of the weekend. Hearing tools clank on the hard ground of the paddock ,
waking up the motors for morning warmup, and seeing the focused drivers faces have all
been senses to enjoy.

Missed the start but turned it on a few minutes ago, looks like it’s been clean with some great racing already. Bourdais-Deletraz-Blomqvist were just nose to tail for the lead down the back straight. Dorian Pin is kicking GTD ass for the Dames in the first stint. Keating spun from the P2 lead but didn’t lose position.

The High Class P2 just cleared itself against a GT car and sparked a huge crash that took out one of the main title protagonists, the Penske 6.

Just stupid.

Accordiing to T&S, there's 5:34 to go and nine GTPs on the lead lap. How is that even possible?

Missed most of the middle at an event, but am excited to see the final hour and a half. That’s usually when this race gets truly nuts, and it usually goes down to the final lap.

Well, I don’t think that was time for the move. A really bold attempt by Albuquerque, and Derani certainly didn’t give him too much room on the outside. Imagine this will be pretty controversial.

No penalty for Pipo.

I strongly disagree with that. But that’s IMSA for you. Not much in the way of driving standards the last few years. Every man (or woman) for themself.

Well, I don’t think that was time for the move. A really bold attempt by Albuquerque, and Derani certainly didn’t give him too much room on the outside. Imagine this will be pretty controversial.
I don't think Durani meant to wreck him. I think he just missed the apex and Albuquerque off, and if they touched it wasn't much. It was probably fair there wasn't a penalty, but Albuquerque's got to be cheesed off about it.

Jolly great to see Shank sign off with a win.

He ran him off the road.

I’m not impressed. A ****e way to end a season full of ****e driving standards.

He ran him off the road.

I’m not impressed. A ****e way to end a season full of ****e driving standards.
I'll look at the video a few more times because you might be right. I've only seen it once.

Durani has had quite a few questionable moments, especially when the championship was on the line.

Low percentage move. In the first half of the race, you cut the 10 a break and let him go. With an hour to go and a championship on the line, NO WAY you just bail on the corner and let 10 take advantage of you like that. I feel like Pipo did nothing but hold his line and the ten drove himself into no-man's land.

I'll look at the video a few more times because you might be right. I've only seen it once.

Durani has had quite a few questionable moments, especially when the championship was on the line.
Yeah, it’s hardly his first rodeo in that regard.

Derani took him to the curb and gave him a hip check to finish it off.

1697384485858.png

It was certainly a bold, risky move by Albuquerque but I don’t fault him for taking the chance when it presented itself. He had a run and got fully alongside, at which point he’s supposed to be given space through the corner.

Of course, IMSA is pretty much NASCAR sports cars, so you have guys driving more expensive and faster cars with the same stupidity you’d see in ARCA and the Truck Series without consequence. It’s only appropriate the race and the season ended under caution with a Porsche on fire and a Lambo coming to a halt because a bunch of GT cars wanted to smash each other for position on the final restart.

View attachment 73515

It was certainly a bold, risky move by Albuquerque but I don’t fault him for taking the chance when it presented itself. He had a run and got fully alongside, at which point he’s supposed to be given space through the corner.

Of course, IMSA is pretty much NASCAR sports cars, so you have guys driving more expensive and faster cars with the same stupidity you’d see in ARCA and the Truck Series without consequence. It’s only appropriate the race and the season ended under caution with a Porsche on fire and a Lambo coming to a halt because a bunch of GT cars wanted to smash each other for position on the final restart.

Seeing it again, (especially in slo mo) confirms your initial assessment was pretty correct. I held back a little because I tend to go off on dirty driving and write paragraphs. I'll spare you this time!

I previously noted this after Fuji, which was as good as a free for all. I don't see any outright dirty driving, but the level of agression in both series has gotten to be pretty spectacular.

I'm sort of ok with a little rough stuff as long as neither car is badly damaged and it's simply incidental. You've got to let them race, and even the best still make errors or have tiny lapses in judgement. I'm still not ok with dirty driving and now I think at bare minimum Pipo certainly could have given him a little more room.

I have not heard or read anthing about what the drivers or teams are saying about it. There's always a little trash talk and fingerpointing after something like this. Anybody hear anything?

I looked at it again, and it looks like Durani didn't even try to hit the apex.

Here's a 20 minute recap:

The final hour incidents onboards:

Attachments

• 320843209_968814744183057_797402284747043676_n.mp4
    2.7 MB
Seeing it again, (especially in slo mo) confirms your initial assessment was pretty correct. I held back a little because I tend to go off on dirty driving and write paragraphs. I'll spare you this time!

I previously noted this after Fuji, which was as good as a free for all. I don't see any outright dirty driving, but the level of agression in both series has gotten to be pretty spectacular.

I'm sort of ok with a little rough stuff as long as neither car is badly damaged and it's simply incidental. You've got to let them race, and even the best still make errors or have tiny lapses in judgement. I'm still not ok with dirty driving and now I think at bare minimum Pipo certainly could have given him a little more room.

I have not heard or read anthing about what the drivers or teams are saying about it. There's always a little trash talk and fingerpointing after something like this. Anybody hear anything?
Yeah, look, I don’t at all mind hard racing with some contact or argybargy, but some of this stuff in IMSA has just gone off the rails. I don’t think anyone really wants to keep damaging cars that cost from anywhere between $450k to north of $2M, depending on the class. And I don’t think fans want to see hours upon hours behind safety cars too. There’s certainly a healthy balance to be found, but we’re really nowhere close right now. And yeah, it sounds like the paddock is started get fed up with it all:

Driving standards were mentioned by many drivers during in-race broadcast interviews as incidents peppered the running. One team manager proposed to Sportscar365 that a behavior warning points system, such as that used by SRO Motorsports Group, or stricter licensing requirements could be an effective way to reduce incidents.

View attachment 73515

He for sure pushed him off. That was clear as day while watching. I don’t fault him though, it’s for a title

Yeah, look, I don’t at all mind hard racing with some contact or argybargy, but some of this stuff in IMSA has just gone off the rails.
It's been crazy on both sides of the pond this year. Eventually we are going to have to make up our minds if this sort of accident is ok or not.

Formula Johna is a great sportscar YouTube channel. Here's his analysis:

Yeah, IMSA needs to address the subpar driving standards shown. Iron Dames as well, my goodness there were some pinballs the last few hours.
A lot of repeat offenders out there. Whether it be the same teams or the same drivers. That’s what happens when you don’t crack down.

Like the High Class #20 P2 that wiped out a bunch of cars, including the #6 Penske. Hardly the first time that team has screwed up a bunch of races.

Pipo has caused a bit of mayhem here and there, but it's always the other guy's fault.
Albuquerque is one of the last guys I’d want to do that to because he’s much the same way. He’ll give it back at some point. Both very entertaining and talented drivers, but sometimes it can get ugly.

Albuquerque is one of the last guys I’d want to do that to because he’s much the same way. He’ll give it back at some point. Both very entertaining and talented drivers, but sometimes it can get ugly.
At least now we know if you run someone wide IMSA won't do anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom