2024 Hall of Fame Class Announced

And it's now official, this sport will never have a unanimous hall of fame inductee. That's pretty damn sad and shame on the weird egos they allow to vote for this crap.
It's like when Mark Jackson left Nikola Jokic off the MVP ballot because certain media folks had a vendetta against him winning his 3rd straight MVP, despite him being the clear best player in basketball, who went on to win a championship and finals MVP .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Donnie is a great choice imo, really anyone nominated in this class would be ok with me. They all deserve it
I caught Donnie on Sirius XM yesterday afternoon and he was talking about his relationship with Janet Guthrie and how he worked with her in several races and believed that she could have had a better career if some could have separated "Woman and driver". He sounded kinda miffed about it so I dont think he was just being PC. Took alot of guts to do what she did back then and remember those cars were not like the Cadillac's these guys/girls drive today

Dennis is a ****** moron. Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous for ****'s sake. Other sports seem to deal with this problem just fine without its athletes having meltdowns on social media.

I see people on other social media sites saying that they "hate driver Denny but love social media Denny" and Dennis parlayed that into a podcast. I guess Dennis really captures the whiny little bitch element of some of NASCAR's fanbase.

Dennis is a ****** moron. Babe Ruth wasn't unanimous for ****'s sake. Other sports seem to deal with this problem just fine without its athletes having meltdowns on social media.

I see people on other social media sites saying that they "hate driver Denny but love social media Denny" and Dennis parlayed that into a podcast. I guess Dennis really captures the whiny little bitch element of some of NASCAR's fanbase.

Yes, Denny is a moron, but so are the 4 people who thought Jimmie didn't deserve to be in the hall of fame.

Even a moron is right occasionally. I'd love to know exactly what reasons someone could offer for voting against JJ (or Babe Ruth) other than the bull**** 'No one should be unanimous'. Why in Hell not?

I think Donnie Allison put together the most impressive results ever for a driver that ran both the Indianapolis 500, and the World 600 in the same year.
I know we are talking the Nascar Hall of Fame and the Indianapolis500 isnt a Nascar race. But Donnie Allison represented Nascar so well in a time when they were considered to be the lower tier among the two.

Before the cars at Indianapolis even had wings and were much more of a deadly beast.
Back in the day it was impossibile to do the Indy 500, World 600 double in a single due to the races being scheduled on seperate days.
But the logistics and were probably just as difficult, refer to following summary.

1970 World 600 held at Charlotte NC. The race was held on Sunday May24th. Donnie Allison won the race.

1970 Indianapolis 500. The race was held on Saturday May 30th (with Sunday the 31st as a rain date if needed).
Donnie Allison finished the Saturday race in 4th on the lead lap and won the rookie of the race award.

1971 Indianapolis 500. The race was held on Saturday May 29th (with Monday May 31st as a rain date was if needed)
Donnie Allison finished 6th one lap down.

1971 World 600 on held on Sunday May 30th. Donnie Allison finished 2nd.

The two 500s had a total of 7 caution flags. There were no wave arounds. He finished on the lead lap in 1970, and was only one lap down in 1971. It is all indicates that he had excellent speed and didnt require heavy attrition to get his great finishes.

Note: He flew back to Indianapolis after the 600 to attend the post race banquet held on the 31st of of May 1971.

Note: The risk of failing to even make the 33 car starting line up was far greater as well.

1970 Indianapolis 500 qualifying. 27 entries failed to qualify for the race.
1971 Indianapolis 500 qualifying. 25 entries failed to qualify for the race

( this post may be a choppy read, I wanted to post the data and context in a few words)

Even a moron is right occasionally. I'd love to know exactly what reasons someone could offer for voting against JJ (or Babe Ruth) other than the bull**** 'No one should be unanimous'. Why in Hell not?
I can only believe it took a lot of serious butthurt for anyone on the voting panels to ignore them in favor of someone else.

I think Donnie Allison put together the most impressive results ever for a driver that ran both the Indianapolis 500, and the World 600 in the same year.
I know we are talking the Nascar Hall of Fame and the Indianapolis500 isnt a Nascar race. But Donnie Allison represented Nascar so well in a time when they were considered to be the lower tier among the two.

Before the cars at Indianapolis even had wings and were much more of a deadly beast.
Back in the day it was impossibile to do the Indy 500, World 600 double in a single due to the races being scheduled on seperate days.
But the logistics and were probably just as difficult, refer to following summary.

1970 World 600 held at Charlotte NC. The race was held on Sunday May24th. Donnie Allison won the race.

1970 Indianapolis 500. The race was held on Saturday May 30th (with Sunday the 31st as a rain date if needed).
Donnie Allison finished the Saturday race in 4th on the lead lap and won the rookie of the race award.

1971 Indianapolis 500. The race was held on Saturday May 29th (with Monday May 31st as a rain date was if needed)
Donnie Allison finished 6th one lap down.

1971 World 600 on held on Sunday May 30th. Donnie Allison finished 2nd.

The two 500s had a total of 7 caution flags. There were no wave arounds. He finished on the lead lap in 1970, and was only one lap down in 1971. It is all indicates that he had excellent speed and didnt require heavy attrition to get his great finishes.

Note: He flew back to Indianapolis after the 600 to attend the post race banquet held on the 31st of of May 1971.

Note: The risk of failing to even make the 33 car starting line up was far greater as well.

1970 Indianapolis 500 qualifying. 27 entries failed to qualify for the race.
1971 Indianapolis 500 qualifying. 25 entries failed to qualify for the race

( this post may be a choppy read, I wanted to post the data and context in a few words)
Correction based on photos the 1971 car #84 had a wing.
Those cars were so beastly beautiful. Much respect for all the racers with the passion and courage to pursue their dream.

download.jpeg.jpg
51WTsGFt+HL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Donnie Allison was the Kasey Kahne of the 70's. Was fast, won some races, never won a title. I think someone like Banjo Matthews should have gone in before Donnie.

Denny has the right to his opinion, see how that works Denny?

Correction based on photos the 1971 car #84 had a wing.
Those cars were so beastly beautiful. Much respect for all the racers with the passion and courage to pursue their dream.

View attachment 71980View attachment 71981
There is a video of Donnie telling the story of bugging AJ Foyt about running the 500 and AJ finally relented, told him to fly down to Texas and help his dad build the car and the tub was hanging on the wall, I believe it was an Eagle. Its a damn good story. I'll try to find it. He said AJ didnt call his dad "dad". called him by his first name.

There is a video of Donnie telling the story of bugging AJ Foyt about running the 500 and AJ finally relented, told him to fly down to Texas and help his dad build the car and the tub was hanging on the wall, I believe it was an Eagle. Its a damn good story. I'll try to find it. He said AJ didnt call his dad "dad". called him by his first name.
This link tells a lot ilof the story

I think he ran the 1970 race on an older chasis. Then he got an up to date one for the 1971 race

Here its is. Donnie and Bobby tell their story on coffee with Kyle Petty

I caught Donnie on Sirius XM yesterday afternoon and he was talking about his relationship with Janet Guthrie and how he worked with her in several races and believed that she could have had a better career if some could have separated "Woman and driver". He sounded kinda miffed about it so I dont think he was just being PC. Took alot of guts to do what she did back then and remember those cars were not like the Cadillac's these guys/girls drive today
She was clearly the most talented women to ever strap up in NASCAR. She never really got a chance to run more than one year looking back through history.

Donnie Allison was the Kasey Kahne of the 70's. Was fast, won some races, never won a title. I think someone like Banjo Matthews should have gone in before Donnie.
Banjo should've honestly gone. Only argument I can see is that wanted to get in Donnie while he was still around.

Aren’t there categories for admission? Matthews never gets in as a driver.

As a car owner / builder / crew chief … yes.

Aren’t there categories for admission? Matthews never gets in as a driver.

As a car owner / builder / crew chief … yes.
I think drivers and crew chiefs and car owners are in the same category, I believe Banjo is in the Pioneer category

I think they should revisit how many people get in each year. I think five per at the beginning was good to help grow the hall and get older guys in while they were still with us, but three with only one pioneer might be too few. I just think there are a lot of other deserving pioneer types that are going to find it increasingly difficult to get in, who are more than deserving of doing so.

Eh, IDK, Donnie never drove a full season in Nascar the whole time he competed. Most of the old timers have been chosen IMO. I don't have any problem with Allison being in the hall. On the other hand there aren't a ton of old timers or current drivers that I see that would need Nascar to go over three plus a pioneer for choices.

Donnie is a great choice imo, really anyone nominated in this class would be ok with me. They all deserve it
Donnie is SERIOUSLY underrated as a driver, I think mostly because he was in Bobby's shadow, and because the majority of fans today never saw him race except for the last lap clips of the Daytona 500. And that doesn't even touch his contributions outside the car. Great to see the voters step up and try to get some of these people in while they are still alive to enjoy the honor.

Banjo, as well as Sam Ard need to go in, but since they have already passed, let's concentrate on the living old timers for a while.

True enough, but if you are going to have an outrageously stupid opinion, at least come out of the shadows and try to justify it.
I dont get worked up about it.Jimmie is in the HOF, thats all that matters. Its not gonna have a placard in front of his Monument saying he didnt get everyone's vote. So we have 4 idiots. who cares?

Eh, IDK, Donnie never drove a full season in Nascar the whole time he competed. Most of the old timers have been chosen IMO. I don't have any problem with Allison being in the hall. On the other hand there aren't a ton of old timers or current drivers that I see that would need Nascar to go over three plus a pioneer for choices.
With the exception of possibly Foyt, everyone else on the Pioneer ballot should be in the Hall, imo. And that doesn’t include Larry Phillips, who moves from the Modern Era to the Pioneer ballot next year, since he’s been on for ten years and has yet to be voted in. There will be a lot of others like that too.

Back
Top Bottom