2024 Hours Of LeMans

Doc Austin

Back From The Dead
60507fd4b5a0f.jpg

Any good story lines to watch for in this race?
I am at a loss in connecting with this race.

All the hypercars are going to burst into flames and Penske will win with their P2 car!

Hypercars is not a healthy class right now, but next year it's going to be epic.

The last five or so years the P2 cars are the best class to follow. One came within a lap of winning a few years ago.
It's as viciously competitive as anything I've ever seen. There's lots of big name driver in few of those cars like Sebastien Bourdais and Philppe Nasr.

I doubt there will be a good battle for the overall, but P2 is always worth watching. I like the prototypes, but the GT classes are usually hell on wheels too,

Final year of GTE-Pro. Corvette were good in qualifying but I think Ferrari have yet to show all of their cards.

Glick and Toyota look fairly balanced for overall win, I think Toyota beat them on race execution but they have their share of reliability issues…who knows.

LMP2 is Formula ORECA still, but there are a lot of great teams and drivers, including many prepping to move up to Hypercar within the next two years.

Final year of GTE-Pro. Corvette were good in qualifying but I think Ferrari have yet to show all of their cards.
You never know. The ACO clowns could change the BOP in the middle of the race! They have already slapped Vorvette once this week.

Glick and Toyota look fairly balanced for overall win, I think Toyota beat them on race execution but they have their share of reliability issues…who knows.
The Alpine got whacked yesterday too. I'm not sure this is a fair game, which is why I would love to see Toyota get thumped.

LMP2 is Formula ORECA still, but there are a lot of great teams and drivers, including many prepping to move up to Hypercar within the next two years.
There are four official chassis suppliers. The Oreca is just so good they have run almost everyone else off. Now it appears the new P2 cars will be in 2025. This is actually a good thing because the cars are damm near bulletproof and now the privateers can keep racing car they already paid for.

The race will yet again be shown flag-to-flag on MotorTrend TV. Coverage at 9:30, green 10 AM ET.

Thanks guys, now I have something to focus on !

Been a Hartley fan for a long time.
Anything he is in, I root for.
What a crowd, and what weather.

22 United got straight up mugged at the start. Unfortunate to have your race screwed not even 20 seconds into a 24 hour race.

I checked the Le Mans web site to see what the class differences are. They listed the Hypercar class with a track time of 3:30 and the LMP2 at 3:25 so I'm comfused about which class is faster; the hypercars are leading the race so they are faster. I suspect someone made a mistake entering the web info.

I checked the Le Mans web site to see what the class differences are. They listed the Hypercar class with a track time of 3:30 and the LMP2 at 3:25 so I'm comfused about which class is faster; the hypercars are leading the race so they are faster. I suspect someone made a mistake entering the web info.
As of right now, the race lap in the Hypercar class is a 3:28, in LMP2 it's a 3:32

There are so many ex F1 and ex F2 guys I recognize where I go “hey I remember that fella” while I’m watching this. My first time actually watching and paying attention. This is a really awesome race

I'm surprised by the number of Ferrari entries in the GTE AM class, for decades Porsche dominated that class because customers could buy a car and easily make it a racer at a time when Ferrari had a more exclusive clientele.

Must not have been updated recently. LMP2 would dust Hypercars if they were allowed to run full strength.

Toyota would also be quicker if they weren’t balanced to Glickenhaus though.

Not only are the P2 battles insane, but the TV coverage is showing a lot of it. Once again, the P2 cars are saving the event. I would really like to see a P2 team win this.

Must not have been updated recently. LMP2 would dust Hypercars if they were allowed to run full strength.

Toyota would also be quicker if they weren’t balanced to Glickenhaus though.
The BoP next year will be interesting with the new LMDh cars entering.

Hell, I say let the LMP2s cook man.

63 Corvette and 52 AF Corse have both had punctures now. GTE Pro slowly falling into Porsche’s lap.

The BoP next year will be interesting with the new LMDh cars entering.

Hell, I say let the LMP2s cook man.
They should let LMH/LMDh run, the OEMs will all have something extra in them.

Balancing to Glick is the issue right now, they’re at both minimum weight and maximum power and struggling to stay with Toyota. One Glick still on the lead lap, but barely.

Sadly, as long as the Toyotas can stay out of trouble, this is as good as over, and was from the start. No one is going to actually catch them, but don't give up just yet.

Let's hope all the hypersleds blow up and a P2 car wins. Those things are lighting the event up. They are racing more like it's a sprint race or something, and it may as well be a two hour Grand Prix. The TV coverage is very heavy on the P2 cars, which is good because that is where all the action is.

Penske's P2 car was 8th or 9th or so at Sebring and they qualified about the same here. The difference is they were stuck in 8th or so all race, but here the Penske is challenging the Jota for the lead. Third through seventh is running around in a big clump of cars and all fighting like hell. The P2 show is as good as t gets anywhere outside of IMSA.

The big disappointment so far has been the Sebring dominating (and winning) Alpine that can now hardly keep a P2 car at bay. Looks like the ACO totally missed on the BOP, but who can be surprised? Very disappointing that they now can't even give Toyota a smidge of a race, and all that's left is to hope that the Glicks can get into the fight. One was delayed and the other dropping back, so the only hope we have of a good race is some good, old fashioned attrition.

We've got about another 20 hours for a real race to develop and you just never know in these endurance races. B

This has definitely been a tougher follow the last five years without real competition in the top class and with GTE Pro slowly fading out existence. Pretty good battles in the Pro-Am stuff, and Corvette still have one car left to fight with Porsche. But I’m very much looking forward to this period being over with and turning the calendar to 2023.

Glickenhaus puts their best foot forward, but Peugeot is seriously needed for the LMH class.

Monza will be exciting to see the team on the grid.

Always lovely watching the sun rise at a 24 hour event, especially in person at Daytona.

Such a good contrast between the two big twice-around-the-clock events - so much night running in rough winter weather at Daytona, tons of daytime in nice conditions at Le Mans.

Good stuff in GTE Pro now. Leading 92 Porsche forfeited their lead to change brakes, came out right with the 51 Ferrari and 64 Corvette 1-2. Lead changed hands and then Porsche locked up, losing some time escaping a gravel trap. I think the Ferrari still has yet to change brakes, but it’s a good battle for now.

Gentlemen drivers in LMP2... FFS.
Great stuff. Plenty of room to run three wide on the straight but I guess I’ll swerve left for whatever reason. Such a shame Corvette’s run as a factory team at Le Mans ends like that.

Back
Top Bottom