2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

Just when you think Indycar is getting it together they catch the series owner cheating.

The disturbing question is how long has this been going on? Did Joseph use PTP on the last lap at Indy? When you get caught cheating it calls all of your accomplishments into question.

Just when you think Indycar is getting it together they catch the series owner cheating.

The disturbing question is how long has this been going on? Did Joseph use PTP on the last lap at Indy? When you get caught cheating it calls all of your accomplishments into question.
It’s attributed to using the same software used during the hybrid testing so it wouldn’t have been in the car last year.

I don't see how Cindric keeps his job here. Might be time to employ a DRS wing as that is clearly visible

Newgarden goes from leading the standings to 11th place in it. Wow

Still early but knowing the machine that is Palou, you can’t really spot him a full race like this.

Can't they see from the Timing/Scoring who is using P2P? Can't believe it took this long to report it. And they (2&3) did it knowingly. Well there goes The Penske Advantage.

Very deep dive but well worth the read.

Yes, it is true that the series allowed anytime deployment of P2P during testing. However, it wasn’t necessarily a simple ECU/software version carryover error as the team claims. It details that it’s more likely the CLU - essentially the intermediary between the ECU and race control - was modified in a way that interrupted the P2P ‘off’ signal and spoofed the ‘on’ signal. And there was even at least one team that sent some concerns to the series last year along with some onboard videos alleging illegal P2P use on road/street courses. There are some Twitter clips of such instances going around now.

So, it’s very possible it’s something that merits a multi-year inquiry. That doesn’t mean it’s something that would’ve affected the Indy 500 or any other oval event - P2P wouldn’t be in the ECU file uploaded into the cars for those events, so it isn’t something that could be activated through spoofing a signal.

Can we all please agree that we are pissed off about this and Penske had damm sure better take care of it? Anybody disagree with me here?

Having said that we don't need to worry about Penske taking care of it. Whomever is involved will probably get it from Penske himself, regardless of what the sanction body does. With everything Penske has achieved and invested into Indycar, he's not going to let anyone tarnish his legacy. There is going to be hell to pay for someone.

In the end the best way to end the problem Roger faces would be to divest from the team and absolutely and permanently eliminate this conflict of interest. Then everyone can STFU and let Penske turn his full attention to running the series. This would also completely eliminate future questions about the speedway and any conflict of interest.

I also think a lot of us knew there would eventually be a clash of interest. I thought it would be something petty, but this is disappointing beyond all words.

Very deep dive but well worth the read.

Yes, it is true that the series allowed anytime deployment of P2P during testing. However, it wasn’t necessarily a simple ECU/software version carryover error as the team claims. It details that it’s more likely the CLU - essentially the intermediary between the ECU and race control - was modified in a way that interrupted the P2P ‘off’ signal and spoofed the ‘on’ signal. And there was even at least one team that sent some concerns to the series last year along with some onboard videos alleging illegal P2P use on road/street courses. There are some Twitter clips of such instances going around now.

So, it’s very possible it’s something that merits a multi-year inquiry. That doesn’t mean it’s something that would’ve affected the Indy 500 or any other oval event - P2P wouldn’t be in the ECU file uploaded into the cars for those events, so it isn’t something that could be activated through spoofing a signal.

After reading that, I'm not sure the penalty was stiff enough. Too many people knew, but kept quiet.

The two videos of sequence of buttons being pushed.
urules
6h ago

This may have just opened up a big can of worms. If you look closely they push DSP (display) once followed by OT (P2P) and then quickly select DSP again.

iquidDiviums
6h ago

Not only that, but the normal push-to-pass activation LED’s and display indicators are suspiciously absent.

1714008209217.png

The two videos of sequence of buttons being pushed.
urules
6h ago

This may have just opened up a big can of worms. If you look closely they push DSP (display) once followed by OT (P2P) and then quickly select DSP again.

iquidDiviums
6h ago

Not only that, but the normal push-to-pass activation LED’s and display indicators are suspiciously absent.

View attachment 78014

Kevin Lee said on the radio this evening that Penske have had the wheels programmed not to display green LED lights when using P2P - legally or illegally - for a little bit now, so that other teams can’t see on the live broadcast and tell their drivers. But the button pushes are suspicious.

A Newgarden/Penske heel turn. I’m here for it, but it’s kind of bogus Josef hasn’t released a statement of any kind since this broke.

I see Will Power has made a statement and said he did nothing wrong. Since there has been no accusation that he used the push to pass illegally I tend to believe him. Interesting that they still fine him $25,000 though.

Off Track with Hinch and Rossi---Pushing to Pass and Long Beach

Tim Cendric is the one with the most explaining to do. Don't give a crap what a driver says.
This lays out their side of the story pretty well. I will note that the inquiries in 2022 and 2023 didn’t result in any findings, and those were essentially attributed to driver habit with the wheel.

I suppose in this instance it’s certainly possible it played out as they described, although it’s still difficult for me to believe it’s not something neither the team nor Chevy would’ve discovered during their extensive data reviews.

Phew. After reading this article/explanation I'm still confused. Not so much with the technical explanation but more with the drivers and their use and non-use of the P2P.

Back
Top Bottom