2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

Yikes. Hopefully more momentum can be built on Fox starting next year.

Not that it really excites me in any way, but this is why it makes a lot more sense to just end the season on Labor Day weekend. Competing against either of the Cup Series or the NFL on TV is a challenge. Competing against both is pretty much a death sentence.

The Titans also asked the league not to have a home game this weekend to make way for the GP, and of course they ended up getting Aaron Rodger’s Jets at home. So there’s that too.

Can this year in racing get any more crazier.
Wow! But I would have thought per Saul Goodman that something like that would go through a civil investigation rather than a criminal one.

Can this year in racing get any more crazier.

The internet is undefeated.

Screenshot_20240918_235959_YouTube.jpg

Zak Brown penned an open letter to indycar after the fianle at nashville. DL responds in this video. I agree with a lot of what Zak and David say, but mostly that indycar should address the schedule and promotion side of the business ASAP.

There wasn’t much in there I could disagree with. As far as the marketing and promotion aspect goes, Liberty Media lost millions and millions of dollars each of their first couple of years of F1 ownership because they were investing heavily in that area where Bernie Ecclestone/CVC Capital had largely ignored it. Penske’s idea of boosting the marketing budget was taking $200-300k from each Leaders Circle payout for one year in 2023. That kind of penny pinching is never going to get the series far.

The schedule ending by Labor Day is good but I agree the start of the season is still far too empty. Ideally it starts in mid/late February and ramps up quicker than it does now. There are only three races in March and April combined in 2025. Mexico would be a good way to help fill in that portion of the calendar in ‘26.

The fuel saving is something I don’t think is really talked about enough and I like that Zak actually brought it up. You can never fully eliminate that component of strategy (nor should you) but it becomes a detriment when everyone is doing it all at once and no is trying to push.

The only thing I really disagree with Zak, which he didn’t mention here, is his desire to bring the field down to 20-22 cars. I’ve accepted the next trimming will probably bring things down to 24-25 and that’s probably a number I can live with. There needs to be room for an entry or two (usually Dale Coyne) to be a ride share/entry level sort of program for young drivers.

Back
Top Bottom