2024 IndyCar News/Misc.

Miles retaining his job when Penske took over should’ve been the first indication we’d be going nowhere fast.
And what he said about Pato today. Good grief he should be shown the door as soon as the checkers fly at Nashville

The comment from Mark Miles saying O'Ward isn't as famous as Adrian Fernandez is puzzling. I've been to every Indycar race in Portland and never saw the excitement from fans in the stands and in the pits like I see these last few years with O'Ward. It's fun to be immersed in it.

If I wasnt two weeks away from having my second kid, I'd so be there this weekend. Weather looks pretty good too, I'm worried I really hope the fans show up. I dont mean that in a condescending way either as whats bandied about on socials when a track comes back or a suggestion is made to go back to a track because Indy Car needs to be at Milwaukee, we dont have ovals enough as it is on the schedule. I have zero interest in a Road Course/Street Course/Indy 500 schedule which is scarily what we're close to having.
Congratulations

I thought yall just had a baby last summer.

I like the Indy cars at track about the size of Milwaukee and Iowa. The speed is impressive for the size and they can turn a quick lap

For the uninitiated

An asinine statement to make and he’s rightfully been raked over the coals the past two days for it. Pato is more popular in the F1 world than many F1 drivers. See the response he gets from the fans when McLaren put him in the car for FP1 at COTA or Mexico City. Failure to get a race off the ground there is down to IndyCar’s ambition and execution alone. Nevermind that Formula E doesn’t even need a Mexican driver to pack many of the stands there as well.

Failure to get a race off the ground there is down to IndyCar’s ambition and execution alone. Nevermind that Formula E doesn’t even need a Mexican driver to pack many of the stands there as well.
These. So what if O'Ward isn't Fernandez-famous? Is having a famous local driver a requirement to race in a location? I guess we know the REAL reason the series no longer goes to Canada or Brazil. Now that we know the scheduling criteria, why hasn't the Down Under weekend been resurrected?

The comment from Mark Miles saying O'Ward isn't as famous as Adrian Fernandez is puzzling. I've been to every Indycar race in Portland and never saw the excitement from fans in the stands and in the pits like I see these last few years with O'Ward. It's fun to be immersed in it.

I saw a grown 40yo man crying after the 500 wearing an O'Ward shirt. Just seeing that kind of passion is super fun.

I’m not going to get my hopes up, but I’m intrigued. Especially since Richmond was on the 2020 calendar and we never got to see it out because of COVID. The whole eastern seaboard is criminally underserved.

Ever since they left Pocono I think my closest race is Toronto.

I’m not going to get my hopes up, but I’m intrigued. Especially since Richmond was on the 2020 calendar and we never got to see it out because of COVID. The whole eastern seaboard is criminally underserved.

I know they're looking for ovals but I'd love to see a top tier series try the Pocono infield.

I know they're looking for ovals but I'd love to see a top tier series try the Pocono infield.
I was about to say, if they’re looking to return to the Northeast in a road course capacity then a return attempt at Watkins Glen might be cool. Arguably the best road course in the U.S. between it or Road America, right? And then Mark Miles promptly went and pissed on my parade.

Good - I think adding a street race (probably Arlington/DFW) and Mexico to the early season portion fills a massive void that’s long needed attention.

Bad - NASCAR has shown you can both go back to old venues and explore new markets. Hell, even F1 has gone back to Imola and Zandvoort in the midst of its massive expansion. And we just got done with a return to a historic venue that exceeded initial expectations. To write off going back to places like Richmond and Watkins Glen because they didn’t work once before is wildly dismissive. People want you to come back to these places.

I was about to say, if they’re looking to return to the Northeast in a road course capacity then a return attempt at Watkins Glen might be cool. Arguably the best road course in the U.S. between it or Road America, right? And then Mark Miles promptly went and pissed on my parade.

Did he really say that indycar would out-draw the V8 supercars in Australia?

Dude is tone deaf.

Did he really say that indycar would out-draw the V8 supercars in Australia?

Dude is tone deaf.
I had missed that part, good catch. Supercars is in a bit of a weird position itself right now, but their major events like Bathurst, Gold Coast, and Adelaide still comfortably draw huge crowds no matter what. Gold Coast originally started as a CART event near the height of the series, and Adelaide as F1’s Australian GP, but those events have prospered ever since they left and I have no doubt that if they ever went back to one of them they’d be an undercard event.

NASCAR's Cup schedule is over twice as long, and many venues have two races. That gives more available dates to experiment with.
Fair point, but we do have existing doubleheaders at Iowa and Milwaukee, and a second date at Indy via the road course. Thermal doesn’t really give the impression of being a long-term addition, so if you really wanted to you could probably change up three or four races. Based off of the given calendar windows I do think Thermal probably becomes Mexico.

No races this weekend or next, but the 13-15th should be a good speed orgy.

I feel bad for Tracy because I've had a few friends get hurt and I got it once myself. Pinellas county is #2 in traffic related cycling fatalities, so you have to be pretty careful.

I used to ride to Clearwater beach every day. It was about 20 miles, which was short, but that was enough time to be out with the crazies. It kept me healthy and it was sort of my insurance plan.

I got run off the road a few years ago on the Clearwater causeway. I ran off into soft sugar sand and wiped out, but at least it was soft. I stand up and am spitting out sand when the driver runs up and beans me in the helmet with an umbrella! She was screaming at me that I was Tommy Mahoney from Cincinatti, and that I had swindled her out of money. I would hear from her lawyer for certain! Then she gets in her car, pulls out into traffic and causes another accident.

I smiled, spit out some more sand and rode on.

Back
Top Bottom