2024 NASCAR Schedules

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
With the 2023 schedules locked in, and the 'Interest in possible changes' discussion pushing 150 pages, I thought it would be a good time to start fresh.

I know, I should avoid activities I'm not suited for.

Milwaukee Mile would not surprise me considering Road America was dropped

I'm about worn out hearing about Nashville this and Nashville that. Seems like it might be a hell of a lot easier to buy some land you own and build a small track without all of the political B.S.. Nobody cared about Nashville until Marcus and Jr showed up.
Agreed. at this point just run the super speedway and give the date they were going to give to FGS to Wilkesboro. It's crazy that place is going to be up and running before FGS, we heard about FGS first maybe getting a race first before anyone gave any thought to NWBS

I'm about worn out hearing about Nashville this and Nashville that. Seems like it might be a hell of a lot easier to buy some land you own and build a small track without all of the political B.S.. Nobody cared about Nashville until Marcus and Jr showed up.
That's how I felt about N. Wilkes for a few years, and still do. It's still how I've felt about Rockingham for several years, with no sign of a reason to change on my part.

this is allegedly from a board member. I'd say see ya later and just have a date at Wilkesboro. Seems to be alot of red tape to sort through

I mean, they knowingly moved next to a race track…right?

Yeah, but is it a bit like moving in next to a Little League field years ago and suddenly the Yankees want to come in regularly?
There’s people that live next to Wrigley Field in Chicago and in the Bronx next to Yankee Stadium. Yes there are ordinances to help with noise and traffic so folks living there can have a normal life and let’s hope that this is all that it amounts to for FGS

Can't they just tell these folks to go **** themselves? It's just one weekend of the year and as you say they should have noticed the race track when they moved there.

Exactly. Bunch of whiners. Don't like hearing noise from the track? Close your windows. "We can't even hear the TV".....what a load of BS. If the "excessive noise" a couple times a year is that big of a deal, sell your house and do a better job picking out the location of your next one.

I don't understand why society caters to the crybaby dickheads.

Here in Columbus, we have a dilapidated minor league baseball stadium right next to the freeway that has just been sitting there since 2008.....

COOPER.jpg

COOPER4.jpg

Initially, there were plans to build a race track......

The organization announced plans for SPARC — short for the “Sports Pavilion & Automotive Research Center” — a multi-faceted $45 million development centered upon the conversion of the 47-acre ballpark site into a racetrack.

“The project will feature a paved half-mile track and will be anchored by a Technology Center designed to facilitate and showcase the Columbus region’s many contributions to automotive innovation,” states the SPARC website, which appears to have been last updated in 2016. “The project will also include a lodging facility, conference center, exhibition spaces and restaurants.”

sparc-02.jpg

The issue for neighbors: noise. Arshot has worked to address those concerns by adding a 35-foot-high sound barrier to the property. While that may be enough for city officials — who are reviewing the proposal in anticipation of final approval — it’s apparently not enough for the neighbors. Developers say the city can yank their permit for business should noise limits be exceeded.

Building a race track so close to Downtown has had its fair share of controversy from its first unveiling in 2008. In response, a grassroots group of concerned citizens quickly formed as Redevelop Our Area Responsibly (ROAR) with a goal of analyzing noise levels that would negatively affect surrounding neighborhoods and institutions.

Oh no, God forbid the noisy race cars drown out the sound of gunshots and SWAT teams invading drug houses :rolleyes:

Here's Cooper Stadium in the middle of this map (just to the right of Sunbelt Rentals).....

Screenshot 2022-12-10 111601.jpg

There's a giant cemetery south of the stadium, and another one directly to the east. What noise is anyone worried about? Waking up the dead? Other than a little commercial/industrial property, there's no residential area on that side of the freeway near the stadium. Now if you go north of I-70, sure, you have the dump known as Franklinton featuring some of the highest crime rates in central Ohio. Just click on any random street view and you'll get a feel for the area......

Screenshot 2022-12-10 111016.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-10 111138.jpg

^ just two random examples. Is this what we're really worried about? Affecting the values of these homes? Is there anyone who truly thinks putting in that race track would HURT the area? But but but Franklinton is "up and coming"......yeah, we have been hearing that for the past 30 years.

Exactly. Bunch of whiners. Don't like hearing noise from the track? Close your windows. "We can't even hear the TV".....what a load of BS. If the "excessive noise" a couple times a year is that big of a deal, sell your house and do a better job picking out the location of your next one.

I don't understand why society caters to the crybaby dickheads.

I agree to a point but I think there should be a limit at how many track days they can get at NFS in addition to the 3-4 day Cup weekend. It’s fair for everyone that way.

I agree to a point but I think there should be a limit at how many track days they can get at NFS in addition to the 3-4 day Cup weekend. It’s fair for everyone that way.

That's fine. I just don't understand why it's a big deal. It's not like they are racing until 3 in the morning. Can't hear the TV? Turn up the volume, or close your windows. Trying to take a nap? Turn on a fan or something.

We had a local short track here on the south side of town that was profitable for 70 years. The owners wanted to retire, so they offered the track for sale. The city bought it, tore it up, and turned the property into a lacrosse complex. RIP Columbus Motor Speedway. Now I have to drive over an hour to watch any form of auto racing.

We had a really nice outdoor concert venue northeast of Columbus. Neighborhoods were built near it, then the homeowners complained about the noise on Friday nights. It eventually got shut down, sold, demolished. There's a ****** IKEA there now.

Dumb dumb dumb.

That's fine. I just don't understand why it's a big deal. It's not like they are racing until 3 in the morning. Can't hear the TV? Turn up the volume, or close your windows. Trying to take a nap? Turn on a fan or something.

We had a local short track here on the south side of town that was profitable for 70 years. The owners wanted to retire, so they offered the track for sale. The city bought it, tore it up, and turned the property into a lacrosse complex. RIP Columbus Motor Speedway. Now I have to drive over an hour to watch any form of auto racing.

We had a really nice outdoor concert venue northeast of Columbus. Neighborhoods were built near it, then the homeowners complained about the noise on Friday nights. It eventually got shut down, sold, demolished. There's a ****** IKEA there now.

Dumb dumb dumb.

I generally agree and side with racetracks.

I live next to some type of MLS soccer stadium. 1/4th mile away if that. It is a pretty major inconvenience sometimes. Street parking gets clogged, pedestrians EVERYWHERE that ignore walk/don't walk signs. It's taken me 20 minutes to go from the highway to my house half a mile apart from each other.

I too, hate the "we need to stop racing because it's too loud and I live here" crowd. BUT, now that I am living this scenario, I am more understanding of them. They should do what they can to mitigate any concerns they have. And for the record, the Fairgrounds is an active racetrack with a semi-regular program. It is not one NASCAR weekend a year.

I live next to some type of MLS soccer stadium. 1/4th mile away if that. It is a pretty major inconvenience sometimes. Street parking gets clogged, pedestrians EVERYWHERE that ignore walk/don't walk signs. It's taken me 20 minutes to go from the highway to my house half a mile apart from each other.

I too, hate the "we need to stop racing because it's too loud and I live here" crowd. BUT, now that I am living this scenario, I am more understanding of them. They should do what they can to mitigate any concerns they have. And for the record, the Fairgrounds is an active racetrack with a semi-regular program. It is not one NASCAR weekend a year.

That’s fine and dandy and your opinion isn’t wrong but the racetrack there was always in Springville or West Valley or Grantsville and I’m sure people whined and complained about the noise at RMR.

Most racetracks as a rule are built in the country and like a magnet the suburbs soon surround them and then the troubles begin.
When I look up where racetracks are on Google maps with satellite view you can always spot the ones that are going ti be in trouble.

When I look up where racetracks are on Google maps with satellite view you can always spot the ones that are going ti be in trouble.
Yep, unless you build a huge one in an industrial area it's always a threat that urban sprawl will get them in the end

Here in Columbus, we have a dilapidated minor league baseball stadium right next to the freeway that has just been sitting there since 2008.....

View attachment 66791
View attachment 66792

Initially, there were plans to build a race track......

View attachment 66793

Oh no, God forbid the noisy race cars drown out the sound of gunshots and SWAT teams invading drug houses :rolleyes:
If these folks are looking for a quiet place to live maybe a big city isn't the best option for them.

I know Nashville is already an active track which is why I don't get why there is so much discussion only because of one additional racing weekend.
Most racetracks as a rule are built in the country and like a magnet the suburbs soon surround them and then the troubles begin.
Even the Sachsenring is restricted to 3 race weekends a year because of "noise" complaints and it's in a town with a population of 14,000

I wonder how long it is before NASCAR is racing in Saudi Arabia or somewhere else in the Middle East. Probably not as long as most expect.

Dumb dumb dumb.

Used to live in the 614, I think Eldora and Attica are the closest racetracks to Columbus

Yep, unless you build a huge one in an industrial area it's always a threat that urban sprawl will get them in the end
Fontana did....and the sprawl happened anyway....again, amazed that Auto Club is getting away with a short track modification.

Fontana did....and the sprawl happened anyway....again, amazed that Auto Club is getting away with a short track modification.

They aren’t getting away with anything, they think there’s value in another 0.50 mile track and the operating costs are *supposedly* outweighting the costs of leaving an excellent 2.0 mile track.

Back
Top Bottom