2025 NASCAR TV contract

House of Highlights may produce really good content with the right drivers. I hope Truex Jr has 2 more seasons left.

40% Increase!!! Yeah we dead lmao! Just keep on winning NASCAR!

Increase plus the Daytona 500 sold out in November 2023 for 2024. Gotta love it!

The deal signed in 2013 worked out to $820 million/year.

This deal works out to $1.1 billion/year.

By my math, that's a 34% increase.

More important, adjusted for inflation, $820 million in August 2013 equates to $1.075+ billion today. So in reality, about 2.3% increase.

BTW, the increase between the prior deal and the 2013 deal was reportedly 46%, obviously well in excess of inflation during that period: 2013 SBJ link

The deal signed in 2013 worked out to $820 million/year.

This deal works out to $1.1 billion/year.

By my math, that's a 34% increase.

More important, adjusted for inflation, $820 million in August 2013 equates to $1.075+ billion today. So in reality, about 2.3% increase.

BTW, the increase between the prior deal and the 2013 deal was reportedly 46%, obviously well in excess of inflation during that period: 2013 SBJ link

At one point, there were legitimately fears that the TV rights package would decrease, so this is still a win financially no matter how it's framed.

The biggest downside is only having nine races over-the-air, and possibly having 19 races exclusively on linear cable.

I wonder if the likelihood of Peacock losing WWE content amidst USA losing Raw pressures NBC to put more NASCAR coverage on there instead of only USA.

Peacock's a hell of a deal at $5.99/month, but they'll need to fill that void some for sure.

And Netflix appears to be transitioning away from ad-free content. They're doing away with their mid-tier option (HD, no ads) and pushing everyone to (HD, with ads). I have a feeling they're not too far from their 4K, no ads plan being phased out.

Well this is interesting. If I’m Amazon or Turner, I’d get him away from the Gerbils as quickly as possible and build my presentation around him. I found it weird he wasn’t on coverage for the Rolex 24, well found out why.

Well this is interesting. If I’m Amazon or Turner, I’d get him away from the Gerbils as quickly as possible and build my presentation around him. I found it weird he wasn’t on coverage for the Rolex 24, well that’s why.

NBC needs some fresh talent in the booth, especially if Dale Jr doesn't come back.

^Letarte & Gordon would be a good color team. Too bad Jeff is too busy these days.

Ugh. Can we just stick to ESPN+, Amazon Prime, Peacock & and leave the “TV” channels alone???

Not a fan of this.

I don't like it either. This is going to be VERY bad for the average person and they don't realize it yet. ESPECIALLY with it involving Disney and WB Discovery, which are the trendsetters for everything awful about streaming right now (insane price hikes, content purging, upcharging for 4K, adding premium tiers upon their premium tiers, etc.).

Seems like the goal is to endgame cable and YouTube TV altogether and take the money for themselves. Disney (mainly b/c ESPN), Fox and WB Discovery are the primary reason cable prices keep skyrocketing.

YouTube TV is $72/month. It's being reported this venture will probably be around $50, plus you'd still need to get Paramount and Peacock for CBS Sports and NBC Sports. It might even out, UNLESS you're a NASCAR fan. (NASCAR is THE only sports property NBC DOESN'T carry on Peacock.) MIGHT being the operative word. I expect this package to, within a few years, be well over $70/month.

I don't like it either. This is going to be VERY bad for the average person and they don't realize it yet. ESPECIALLY with it involving Disney and WB Discovery, which are the trendsetters for everything awful about streaming right now (insane price hikes, content purging, upcharging for 4K, adding premium tiers upon their premium tiers, etc.).

Seems like the goal is to endgame cable and YouTube TV altogether and take the money for themselves. Disney (mainly b/c ESPN), Fox and WB Discovery are the primary reason cable prices keep skyrocketing.

YouTube TV is $72/month. It's being reported this venture will probably be around $50, plus you'd still need to get Paramount and Peacock for CBS Sports and NBC Sports. It might even out, UNLESS you're a NASCAR fan. (NASCAR is THE only sports property NBC DOESN'T carry on Peacock.) MIGHT being the operative word. I expect this package to, within a few years, be well over $70/month.

It’s horrible for the average person. They aren’t going to know where NASCAR is or what channel it’s on.

These races need to be on CBS, ABC/ESPN, NBC, FOX/FS1, TNT, Amazon Prime & The CW. Not buried on some weird streaming service.

Well this is interesting. If I’m Amazon or Turner, I’d get him away from the Gerbils as quickly as possible and build my presentation around him. I found it weird he wasn’t on coverage for the Rolex 24, well found out why.

I have no clue how to read these tea leaves but it seems to me if he had 'enjoyed his time in the booth', he'd have already re-signed with NBC.

They aren’t going to know where NASCAR is or what channel it’s on.
TV Racer has been around for over 20 years, according to their copyright notice. NASCAR has the TV schedule on their web site every week. Weren't we just telling people if they didn't know the Clash had been rescheduled, they must be living under rocks and to get into the 21st century?
These races need to be on CBS, ABC/ESPN, NBC, FOX/FS1, TNT, Amazon Prime & The CW.
That's NINE sources. With that list, if the 'where to find NASCAR' camel hasn't already had his back broken, one more straw isn't going to do it.

ESPN+ is the gold standard of sports streaming, I just don’t want lose that. I am surprised at the vitriol for Disney streaming since Disney+ and ESPN+ are both really good deals.

Disney is following WB Discovery’s business model.

I’d venture to say this service will spell the end of ESPN+ as well.

It’s horrible for the average person. They aren’t going to know where NASCAR is or what channel it’s on.

These races need to be on CBS, ABC/ESPN, NBC, FOX/FS1, TNT, Amazon Prime & The CW. Not buried on some weird streaming service.

I don't think the races are moving off of television and onto this app though. For people with cable, I don't think anything's going to change with this. I'm not planning to drop YouTube TV for this because I still want my local news, NBC Sports, MSNBC, CBS Sports, MAVTV and NFL RedZone.

For race fans who don't have cable or satellite, this is actually a huge win because the Fox Sports telecasts will be available on a standalone streaming service for the first time ever.

If anything, this might pressure NBC Sports to start simulcasting NASCAR races on Peacock like they do for literally every other sporting event.

I just think that this is ultimately going to be very bad for consumers in the end, especially since there's now a streaming monopoly.

JR stated very clearly on his podcast that he wants to continue being in the booth.

TV Racer has been around for over 20 years, according to their copyright notice. NASCAR has the TV schedule on their web site every week. Weren't we just telling people if they didn't know the Clash had been rescheduled, they must be living under rocks and to get into the 21st century?

That's NINE sources. With that list, if the 'where to find NASCAR' camel hasn't already had his back broken, one more straw isn't going to do it.

People aren’t living under rocks, they just don’t CARE enough to go out of their way to buy all this 🗑️ streaming.

JR stated very clearly on his podcast that he wants to continue being in the booth.

Ken was(is?) the announcer at South Boston FWIW, but he connected some dots for me that I hadn't previously done on my own. Worth considering when you think about Junior's future.

Ken was(is?) the announcer at South Boston FWIW, but he connected some dots for me that I hadn't previously done on my own. Worth considering when you think about Junior's future.
SMI is the summer series tracks?

It’s a shame the greed runs the show. Would prefer TV viewership to be 3-10 million like usual for Cup.

Like the late model series that Dale co-owns winding up with an actual TV deal instead of being on a streaming service? Or even him being a commentator for said series on a streaming service?
I think he can do all of that while still being a commentator for NASCAR, even if its for the Amazon/TNT series

This pretty much sums it up.

Yep. Accurate.

My worry is that Disney and WB Discovery will eventually move toward pulling their networks off cable systems. Disney's hinted at it in the past, and you never know what WB Discovery will do next.

YouTube TV will drop their monthly price if that happens though. If Disney and WBD both do it, they'd probably cut $20+ off their monthly price.

Like the late model series that Dale co-owns winding up with an actual TV deal instead of being on a streaming service? Or even him being a commentator for said series on a streaming service?

The CARS Tour is, for all intents and purposes, a NASCAR Regional touring series.

The ratings don't justify a cable or broadcast network picking up a regional series. And I think the new Fox/ESPN/TNT streaming service is going to reign in outrageous rights agreements. ESPN and Fox competing for rights to college conferences has completely destroyed college football.

The CARS Tour is, for all intents and purposes, a NASCAR Regional touring series.

The ratings don't justify a cable or broadcast network picking up a regional series. And I think the new Fox/ESPN/TNT streaming service is going to reign in outrageous rights agreements. ESPN and Fox competing for rights to college conferences has completely destroyed college football.

MAVTV should be in more homes & streaming providers and having more Flo content on MAVTV once in a while.

It’s a shame MAVTV is only on YouTubeTV and not Hulu, Sling, Fubo, etc and doesn’t have enough live content sometimes.

I’m not sure what Lucas Oil business strategy is, but turning into a racing channel with a subscriber base similar to FS2 & CBSSN would be great.

YouTube TV is $72/month. It's being reported this venture will probably be around $50, plus you'd still need to get Paramount and Peacock for CBS Sports and NBC Sports. It might even out, UNLESS you're a NASCAR fan. (NASCAR is THE only sports property NBC DOESN'T carry on Peacock.) MIGHT being the operative word. I expect this package to, within a few years, be well over $70/

I subscribe to YouTube TV and only use it to watch local news and NASCAR so for $80 a month I’m not getting good value. I cancelled Netflix and Amazon Prime a while back as I never watched them & I need to look into alternatives for YouTube but I suspect there will be nothing worthwhile.

I don’t enjoy any sport nearly as much as I have in the past but this is no knock on the sport as I suspect I’ve changed as much as they have. I’m going to watch NASCAR as long as I have YouTube TV but it’s a distinct possibility that I will be living in a sports free household within the year. I never would have dreamed it possible

Yep. Accurate.

My worry is that Disney and WB Discovery will eventually move toward pulling their networks off cable systems. Disney's hinted at it in the past, and you never know what WB Discovery will do next.

YouTube TV will drop their monthly price if that happens though. If Disney and WBD both do it, they'd probably cut $20+ off their monthly price.

Is this really bad for consumers who only use cable for sports? I am honestly asking. Cable is expensive so this seems like it would be a savings.

Is this really bad for consumers who only use cable for sports? I am honestly asking. Cable is expensive so this seems like it would be a savings.

If you only have cable for sports, this is the best deal ever, UNLESS YOU'RE A NASCAR FAN. That's why this has been called a "game-changer" and a "historic" moment for sports television.

As things stand, you're still going to have to have cable TV for NASCAR because of the races on USA. So there's ZERO incentive to subscribe to this package. And there's zero incentive for NBC to put those races on Peacock. Actually, with this deal, there's even less incentive because the ESPN/FOX/TNT service poses a direct, potentially fatal threat to NBC's parent company.

We'll say this service comes in at $40/month, Peacock's another $5/month, Paramount Plus is $12/month or so, Prime is another $7/month. That's still cheaper than YouTube TV. But, with NFL+, you don't even need Paramount or Prime to stream CBS or NBC broadcasts.

The problems are:

This is a straight up monopoly, for starters.

And I think once either Disney/WBD/Fox and/or cable providers decide not to play ball, the price of this service will start increasing very dramatically because these networks will start losing the money they're getting from Comcast/Xfinity, Charter-Spectrum, YouTube, Fubo, DIRECTV, etc.

I see this getting very expensive, very quickly.

I watch two sports. Those used to be NASCAR and NFL. Over the last five years, I watched less football and for the last two seasons, the only games I've seen are in restaurants. Over that same period, I've begun watching golf.

They're it, so an almost-all-sports stream isn't for me anyway.

I watch two sports. Those used to be NASCAR and NFL. Over the last five years, I watched less football and for the last two seasons, the only games I've seen are in restaurants. Over that same period, I've begun watching golf.

They're it, so an almost-all-sports stream isn't for me anyway.
The Chiefs/Kelce/Swift stuff and the terrible officiating has me following this same pattern. NASCAR is the only reason my TV turns on anymore.

I wonder if the likelihood of Peacock losing WWE content amidst USA losing Raw pressures NBC to put more NASCAR coverage on there instead of only USA.

Peacock's a hell of a deal at $5.99/month, but they'll need to fill that void some for sure.

And Netflix appears to be transitioning away from ad-free content. They're doing away with their mid-tier option (HD, no ads) and pushing everyone to (HD, with ads). I have a feeling they're not too far from their 4K, no ads plan being phased out.
I mean maybe, but probably not seeing as they lost Raw yeah, but got Smackdown again. But they did also lose NXT so I guess lol.

Back
Top Bottom