2025 NASCAR TV contract

Only 46% of homes have cable television, a number that is rapidly declining. If you want to include services like YouTube TV, it might be closer to 60% (probably being generous).

Cable is no longer dying a slow death, it's dying a very rapid death. Which is why OTA (broadcast) and OTT (streaming) are huge parts of sports contracts now.

You can literally watch every single NFL game without having a cable subscription. You can watch EVERY in-market game and NFL RedZone (the only way to watch football on Sundays) for something like $10/month.

The biggest winner in the Fox side of the contract might be MLB. With the vast majority of Fox's races moving to FS1, that gives Fox more opportunities to spotlight MLB on Sunday afternoons.
What percentage have internet? If you have internet you can watch them all

By 2030, these numbers are supposed to be half (or well short of that) of what they are now.

By the time this contract ends, every other sport will have almost all of their "national" telecasts available on OTA TV. By the time this contract ends, people who don't have cable (which will be the vast majority of Americans) will be able to watch any MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL game they want through some streaming service.

Meanwhile, half of NASCAR's races will be available to only 25% (if that) of the population.
I don't believe this for one second, NASCAR isn't that dumb and neither are the TV providers. They aren't paying that much money for 25%

I don't believe this for one second, NASCAR isn't that dumb and neither are the TV providers. They aren't paying that much money for 25%
Comcast owns NBC.

Fox has no viable OTT service.

These are last ditch efforts to save cable on their end. Fox is all in on FS1, and Comcast sees an opportunity to possibly keep people connected. Or at least get them on something like Xfinity Stream.

Even cable providers are throwing in the towel.

One clarification - I'm not saying anything is counterproductive, only questioning how productive. I have the same question regarding how many new fans are drawn to NASCAR by running a race in the LA Colosseum that has little in common with the rest of the schedule.

Thanks!
18-34 and 18-49 growth is evident in the league’s other windows as well. Doesn’t have to be to the exact same degree as the TNF window to count.

I also heard today from a true insider ,one of the gerbils (the most popular one, is likely done with working on Sundays)

Yeah, I'm going to need some independent confirmation on that one, with links to sources.

“I will not be working on Sundays. When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life. I look forward to another season covering NASCAR Cup Series racing on NBC.” - Rick Allen (maybe)

“I will not be working on Sundays. When you do what you love, you never work a day in your life. I look forward to another season covering NASCAR Cup Series racing on NBC.” - Rick Allen (maybe)
I know the feeling. I was in IT and never did a lick of work in my career. I got paid to play with toys.

Those sure sound like the words of someone who will still be in the booth next year.

I recently dropped my peacock subscription due to lack of content.

I predict that we'll see a reversion to what we had a decade ago. The major network all owned Hulu together and that worked well until everyone decided they needed their own platform.

Right now, we have INCREDIBLE fragmentation of movies and TV offerings. If you want Universal films, you go to Peacock, Paramount films are on Paramount+, Warner Brothers are on Max, and 20th Century Fox and Disney are on Disney+. The rest of the studios are scattered on these platforms and Netflix (there are even some films from these studios on other platforms and Netflix).

We have a wealth of content available to us at a cheaper price point (when combined) than cable. The main problem is the duplication. EVERY streamer has to pay for the hardware and on-going support to keep the platform live. It would be cheaper for them to partner and share a platform, but greed keeps that from happening.

It's the equivalent of every major media company trying to run their own cable system, it's not sustainable. We'll probably see some kind of partnership that aggregates the different platforms. It might even look like cable in that you can choose what "packages" you want. The difference is that the content will be provided via an internet connection instead of cable. The blueprint for this already exists. You can subscribe to different packages through Amazon and it's all aggregated through that platform. It's only a matter of time before they start sharing hardware to save costs.

The cat is out of the box with streaming. It's not going away. The studios will find a way to make it profitable, even if it means swallowing their pride and working together.

I have a family member that despises the Amazon Prime part of it.

Not a fan of the Prime part either.

I also heard today from a true insider ,one of the gerbils (the most popular one, is likely done with working on Sundays)

NBC's going to need to shake up its booth soon, IMO.

Jeff Burton's been out of the car for a decade and so much has changed since then. His strength comes from having relationships with the drivers, and pre-race would probably suit him best.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr., I could honestly see him stepping away and focusing on the CARS Tour, JR Motorsports, and his other short track projects. But, man, he is the best booth analyst in the sport.

Steve Letarte is another NBC strength.

I like Rick Allen, but I wouldn't complain if NBC called Dave Burns up to the booth. Burns has been fine every time he's done commentary of Xfinity races on NBC/USA and ESPN2 before that.

I also wonder who's going to end up replacing Mike Joy. I personally think Joy could do this another eight years if he wants to, but who knows when he's ready to hang it up. And I would hate to see Mike Joy go through a rapid decline in the booth the way the late, great Ken Squier did in the late-90s, or the way Al Michaels has on NFL.

Conventional wisdom says Adam Alexander would get that job, but Fox is very high on Jamie Little too, so who knows.

I imagine Adam Alexander would be the PxP guy for TNT if they go their own way. But, I imagine Amazon and TNT will both rely heavily on NBC resources and NASCAR Studios.

FOX - Mike Joy (Allen Bestwick should be on one of these lists), Clint Bowyer, Kevin Harvick
TNT/Amazon - Adam Alexander, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett
NBC - Rick Allen, Steve Letarte, Dale Jr

The CW - Dillon Welch(?) or Dave Burns(?)

I recently dropped my peacock subscription due to lack of content.

$5.99/mo. ain't **** to me.

It's all these others that are up to $22/month. There's something I want to see on Netflix, but at this point, getting Netflix for ONE month to watch ONE show/movie is more expensive than a movie ticket or a DVD box set.

Which is their next step ... doing away with physical media so people have to sign up to watch content. Major retailers have already signed on to phasing out physical media sales. The Suncoast we have in the mall here is phasing out DVD/Blu-Ray sales and selling home theater equipment and merchandise instead. WB Discovery is the only major studio that's signaled it's committed to making/selling Blu-Rays long term.

$5.99/mo. ain't **** to me.

It's all these others that are up to $22/month. There's something I want to see on Netflix, but at this point, getting Netflix for ONE month to watch ONE show/movie is more expensive than a movie ticket or a DVD box set.

Which is their next step ... doing away with physical media so people have to sign up to watch content. Major retailers have already signed on to phasing out physical media sales. The Suncoast we have in the mall here is phasing out DVD/Blu-Ray sales and selling home theater equipment and merchandise instead. WB Discovery is the only major studio that's signaled it's committed to making/selling Blu-Rays long term.
The price didn't matter to me, it was just the fact that I never watched it. After getting the last notice of billing I realized I hadn't logged in for several months because they didn't have any content that I found interesting.

My sub is $5 month. I'm happy with that if all I get is IMSA and IndyCar. I don't bother canceling in the non-racing months.
You must have missed the memo. It went up 20% to 5.99. Peacock proved to be a bust for me on the Nascar side. I'm not paying for post race to listen to more gerbiling. I can find out all I need to know on Youtube postrace.

FOX - Mike Joy (Allen Bestwick should be on one of these lists), Clint Bowyer, Kevin Harvick
TNT/Amazon - Adam Alexander, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett
NBC - Rick Allen, Steve Letarte, Dale Jr

The CW - Dillon Welch(?) or Dave Burns(?)
Kyle Petty is the man. Burton is just annoying at this point.

Alexander should get it over Jamie, frankly she’s a better pit road reporter which isn’t a knock. Dick Berggren was awesome at that as well

People find a new excuse every week for why Prime and TNT is a bad deal.

Multiple bars here in Bum**** Nowhere have put CARS Tour races on Flo on their TVs. The area’s most popular bar only uses streaming services.

Most bars now have SMART TVs instead of satellite.

Also… EVERYTHING ON HBO MAX IS ALSO ON TNT!!!!

Multiple bars here in Bum**** Nowhere have put CARS Tour races on Flo on their TVs. The area’s most popular bar only uses streaming services.

That podcast is a hot take factory. Dirty Mo has some quality control issues.

To me I know the Amazon prime thing has been an issue for football games at a lot of bars around me. I thought there was actually some discussion about legally what a bar had to pay to stream prime, similar to the problems they used to have for satellite for homes vs commercial. This is somewhat of a legitimate complaint.

To me they still need to offer a year long streaming platform that no matter who is doing the race I can log onto my nascar streaming service and watch the race. I'd be willing to pay pretty decent money for something like that. Think about how much of a mess the boadcast is now. Well the race is on fox, but it running over so its going to fs1 or well this game is running long so the race starts on fs2 and then will be switching to fs1 or well it was on fox but it got rained out and now its on fs1. If you want people to tune in get them a streaming service that no matter what happens they know they can go to one place to see the race.

To me I know the Amazon prime thing has been an issue for football games at a lot of bars around me. I thought there was actually some discussion about legally what a bar had to pay to stream prime, similar to the problems they used to have for satellite for homes vs commercial. This is somewhat of a legitimate complaint.

To me they still need to offer a year long streaming platform that no matter who is doing the race I can log onto my nascar streaming service and watch the race. I'd be willing to pay pretty decent money for something like that. Think about how much of a mess the boadcast is now. Well the race is on fox, but it running over so its going to fs1 or well this game is running long so the race starts on fs2 and then will be switching to fs1 or well it was on fox but it got rained out and now its on fs1. If you want people to tune in get them a streaming service that no matter what happens they know they can go to one place to see the race.

DIRECTV and the NFL have some sort of thing worked out so bars can put on Thursday Night Football and can continue to use NFL Sunday TIcket.

It's technically illegal for any bar to put on any sports event, or even play music, without the proper licensing. But nobody enforces it. Well, unless those bars openly advertise it without a license, then they might get in trouble - more than likely with UFC. They seem to be pretty active in suing bars, but they're also in the PPV business.

Prime Video is probably the last aspect of the deal I’d be worried about. I’m not so convinced on Max B/R Sports if it’s still $20/month come the second half of 2025.

I think if you’re going to add a 3th and 4th TV provider, than you better make sure more than 9 out of 38 races are on national TV/free TV such as FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, The CW.

I think the teams and tracks are quite desperate for $$$ at the expense of good exposure. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not optimistic about the ratings.

Mulvihill is a long-time FOX Sports exec and currently their head of research and analytics. This is a lt least a touch ironic since they’re moving the balance of their Cup schedule from FOX to FS1.

It’s been weird they’re choosing $$ over exposure. I only say that because I don’t think sponsors love cable/non-national TV.

Prime Video is probably the last aspect of the deal I’d be worried about. I’m not so convinced on Max B/R Sports if it’s still $20/month come the second half of 2025.

Everything on Max B/R Sports is also on TNT.

So, for the fans who already have cable TV, they should be fine.

Everything on Max B/R Sports is also on TNT.

So, for the fans who already have cable TV, they should be fine.
Which is great, I just don’t think Max is very additive as a simulcast alternative. Would rather Peacock be more involved as a simulcast option for NBC’s portion of the season.

Which is great, I just don’t think Max is very additive as a simulcast alternative. Would rather Peacock be more involved as a simulcast option for NBC’s portion of the season.

We'll have to see what happens by then, but it's becoming very unlikely Discovery will own WB come summer 2025, and that may change the entire landscape.

Paramount and NBCUniversal are both rumored to be interested in buying WB.

Don’t like the lack of national TV exposure but less races on Fox networks could be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom